By Chijioke Okoronkwo, Nigeria News Agency (NAN)
The convergence was under the aegis of the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) 2019, with the theme, “Grow Digital: Leveraging Digital Transformation to Drive Sustainable Food Systems in Africa.”
The AGRF is a platform for African and global leaders from both the public and private sectors to advance policies, programmes and investments, as well as harnessing agriculture, to ensure food security, increased income and promote economic development in the continent.
Osinbajo and the other leaders at the forum shared their experiences in capturing the gains of the digital era to improve food systems.
The discourse captured how to increase adaptation, and drive innovation to achieve the goals laid out in the Malabo Declaration of the African Union (2014) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) set by the United Nations General Assembly in 2015 for the year 2030.
Osinbajo participated in the panel alongside host President, Nana Akufo-Addo, Edouard Ngirente, the Prime Minister of Rwanda, and AU Commissioner for Agriculture, Josefa Sacko.
The panel was moderated by former UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair.
“What we found is that there is far more collaboration than before, and there is far more transparency; you can see practically everything and anyone who is connected one way or the other, and people learn faster because of a lot of collaboration.
“People online can find out what this company is doing; some companies are linking investors to farmers and it is so easy to find out what they are doing by simply going to their website.
“Some of the Fintech companies are also in that space, helping to make payments; helping to do transactions and a lot of them are doing well just by building the space.
The vice president said digital technology was getting easier to manage, especially with mobile payments and mobile platforms.
He said that in Nigeria, there was huge mobile internet participation, as the country ranked high in terms of using mobile phones, for the very educated and the uneducated.
Osinbajo said the Nigerian government did a lot of cash transfer payments and payments to the most vulnerable using mobile phones.
“So, I think it is actually getting easier; one of the advantages of digital technology is that if you are a digital native as they call them, you are able to learn faster.
He said that Nigeria was modernising farming through the application of digital agriculture.
On his part, Akufo-Addo said that Ghana had modernised its agriculture significantly in recent years.
“How to penetrate the markets of the world.’’
He said that Africa, must, as a matter of urgency, provide adequate infrastructure for storage, mechanisation, proper storage and commercialisation.
The Ghanaian president said that Africa could not excel if did not harness its immense potential.
He expressed optimism that the digital revolution would deliver results in agriculture as Ghana recorded bumper harvest in 2018 and exported food to its neighbours.
“But we believe we can do more.
“ The 21st century provides us with an enormous opportunity to harness the benefits of the digital revolution to develop our nation’s agriculture.
“Our vision is to embrace fully digitalisation to speed up economic development.
“That’s why the theme of AGRF 2019, Grow Digital, is appropriate and excites me so much,” he said.
He said that digitalisation was part of agriculture reforms in Rwanda.
“Today, everyone who wants to invest in agriculture has internet.
“We have invested heavily in managing climate and we are involving the youths in agriculture and making the sector profitable,’’ he said.
Sacko, on her part, commended the East African countries for doing very well in digital agriculture and called on other countries to strive more in that regard.
Earlier, Dr Agnes Kalibata, President of Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), in an address, said the 2019 forum was brought to Ghana in honour of the late Kofi Annan, the founder of AGRA and architect of AGRF.
She said that the focus of the forum was on how Africa could use digital technology to leapfrog the future.
Sharing similar sentiments, Dr Strive Masiyiwa, outgoing Chairman of AGRF Partners Group, said that 25 years ago, 70 per cent of Africans never heard a telephone ringing.
“Today, more than 70 per cent of our people own a telephone. It was the beginning of our digital revolution.”
He explained that he began to think of seeds in the same way he thinks of telephones.
“When we started, only three sub-Saharan African countries were exporting hybrid seeds, a total of 2,000 metric tonnes.
“So, we began to invest money to develop seeds; it was the low-hanging fruit for us, and it was like telephones.
“ And today, I can report, we have over 110 companies producing seeds and 110,000 metric tonnes a year,” he said.
The event attracted no fewer than 27 ministers of food and agriculture and 2,500 delegates.(NANFeatures)
**If used, please credit the writer as well as Nigeria News Agency (NAN).
- Rangers bring down Pyramids in Cairo, Hassania Agadir through after Enyimba stalemate
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 17 Results
- Ex-basketball star Kobe Bryant, 4 others die in helicopter crash
- 2020 UTME: JAMB registers 700,000 candidates in 2 weeks
- Rangers official says players deserve praise for beating Pyramid FC
- Dr Sid,Simi’s 5 year-old marriage crashes
- World Leprosy Day: Awareness key to reducing stigma -expert
- Terrorism Index: PDP urges NASS to intervene on security situation
- Blunders prove decisive as Lazio and Roma share derby spoils
- NPFL: Kano Pillars force 2-2 draw at Sunshine Stars
- Third-tier Shrewsbury hit back to hold Liverpool in FA Cup
- Coronavirus: WHO DG to meet with Chinese govt., health experts
- PDP federal legislator, Edionwele, declares support for Obaseki’s second term
- Priest tasks Christian faithful on unity, peaceful coexistence
- Psychologist calls for rehabilitative incarceration of paedophiles
- Cleric urges Christians to emulate Christ’s life
- Nigeria’s true assets are in its youths’ potential, entrepreneur says
- Customs FOU Zone B intercept 3 trucks of smuggled sweets, green tea, cosmetics
- Again, gunmen attack travellers near Rigasa railway station
- Obaseki: We are nurturing youths to see politics as service to humanity
- Cashew value chain investor tasks government on agriculture policy implementation
- Kano rerun election: APC candidate alleges stolen mandate
- Buhari orders Air Force to shell bandits in Niger State
- Ex-Governor Yero urges youths to join active politics, shun bitterness
- Candles lit at Berlin Holocaust memorial to mark Auschwitz liberation
- Gambia police clash with protesters demanding president step down
- Dozens dead in Brazil floods as officials warn of more landslides
- At least 38 dead in Turkey as quake rescue efforts continue
- Adamawa United come from behind to beat visiting Kwara United
- Police in Bauchi nab runaway killer of girlfriend
- Manchester United pummel Tranmere Rovers in FA Cup mauling
- Adopt flexible policy to promote SMEs, SEAP boss tells FG
- Gov. Obaseki commends pace, quality of work at AAU administrative building
- Makinde tasks journalists on defence of democracy
- Police arrest 86 suspects for cultism, violent attacks in Ikorodu
- Olympic football qualifiers moved from China to Sydney due to virus fears
- ‘I am not a spare tyre, I have roles in governance’ – Bauchi D/Gov
- Birthday: Kwara Gov. says no celebration, adverts
- LASG urges state govts to emulate FADAMA model to improve agriculture
- Association promotes unity, peaceful co-existence in Nasarawa
- Inter Milan held again after their on-loan player scores against them
- PDP wins 4 seats in Sokoto re-run elections
- Manchester City spank Fulham 4-0 to reach FA Cup last 16
- NiMet predicts dust haze weather condition for Monday
- Akwa Ibom rerun election: REC lauds security agencies over peaceful conduct
- There is no crisis in Nigerian rugby, NRFF board member says
- FMC Lokoja confirms 3 cases of Lassa fever, records 1 death
- Cleric urges Christians to obey God’s instructions to access His blessings
- FRSC commander warns officers against corrupt practices
- CSOs fault Supreme Court judgment on Imo Governorship election
- Cleric urges Christians to genuinely seek God for their salvation
- Cleric urges FG to tackle crime through job creation
- Election monitoring group adjudges Okigwe North re-run election free, fair
- CLO warns politicians against character assassination
- Overhead bridges: 36 persons arrested for crossing expressway in Lagos
- Lassa fever: Sokoto Govt on alert, mobilises health workers
- Nigeria canvasses gender equality in access to agricultural inputs, land
- Ogun confirms 1 case of lassa fever
- Leprosy: WHO says early detection, treatment helps prevent disability
- Sen. Bwacha endorses Amotekun, advises other zones to emulate South-West
- Kano re-rerun: PDP wins Kiru/Bebeji Federal constituency
- Nasarawa govt. partners fire service to prevent outbreak in schools
- Cleric tasks christians on true repentance
- APC wins Okigwe North Federal Constituency rerun in Imo
- Live according to God’s Word,Cleric advises Christians
- Bow legs: Expert recommends exposure to sunlight, healthy dieting for children
- We stumbled on your property, ICPC replies Pinnacle
- APC wins rerun election in Kagarko LGA of Kaduna
- NGO donates educational materials to community in Abuja
- Troops continue onslaught on Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists in NE, arrest informants – Army
- PDP wins Akwa Ibom rerun
- Coronavirus: WHO advises countries to prepare for detection as death toll hits 56
- Igbos must work hard to get power in 2023 — Tanko Yakasai
- NDE disburses N2.1 m to 210 women in Kebbi
- Revitalising culture to bring people together, my mission – U.S based Nigerian musician
- Group urges Nigerians to support community policing strategy
- Politicians should take bulk blame for current insecurity – Sen. Nyako
- Tragedy: Jealous man stabs girlfriend to death in Bauchi
- Kidney Disease: How adequate, accessible are dialysis machines?
- GOC tasks officers, men on discipline
- Osinbajo, Sanwo-Olu laud Airtel’s CSR initiative
- Nsukka LG chairman grades 22 roads in one month
- Centre introduces measures to check unemployment,restiveness in Nasarawa state
- Police arrest 16 suspects over alleged attack on patrol team in Minna
- Music review: Davido drops unimpressive single in New Year
- National Hospital records high patronage on knee, hip replacement surgeries
- Aliyu pledges to complete renovation of public schools in FCT
- Agro-firm targets 120,000 tonnes of maize in 2020
- APC wins rerun election for Sanga House of Assembly seat in Kaduna
- APC wins reps seat in Ogun
- PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- Bauchi rerun elections: PDP clinches Gamawa Federal Constituency seat
- APC wins Reps seat in Cross River
- Nigerian Army troops thwart Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Mennonite celebrates 100 years of humanitarian services worldwide
- Wellbeing Foundation Africa mourns late WHO Director
- Saudi Arabia wealth fund in talks to buy Newcastle United for £340 million
- Bauchi Supplementary elections: PDP wins Zaki Federal Constituency polls
- Rangers agree permanent deal with Defoe
- Artists decry continuous locking of Abuja Arts, Craft Village
- China-Nigeria relations productive, beneficial, says Chinese ambassador
- NUJ Chairman calls for independence of Nigeria Press Council
- FAAN explains bush fire incident around airfield side at Lagos Airport
- Lassa fever: Enugu Govt urges residents to be calm, dispels rumour of nurse death
- Amotekun needs FG’s backing to operate, says CG Vigilante Group
- Buhari congratulates Gov. Lalong of Plateau on Knighthood
- Buhari mourns Abdulkadir Oniyangi
- Bishop Kaigama tasks Papal awardees to be guided by Christian values
- Stakeholders call for robust media freedom
- Professionalism key to quality service delivery in NCC – CEO
- Niger gov. condemns renewed bandits attacks on communities
- Lassa fever: 29 deaths, 195 confirmed cases reported in 11 states – NCDC
- Why I am playing local politics – Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Obisia Nwamkpa tasks Lagos on early preparations
- FRSC to impound flatbed trailers without proper latching
- 91 bag first class, as NDU holds 5th combined convocation in Bayelsa
- Stop selling foreign films, NFVCB warns traders
- Kwara Cathedral church re-opens – Statement
- P/Harcourt Disco begins 7.5% VAT Feb. 1
- Mathematicians urge govt. to embrace evidence-based planning for national development
- ZLP inaugurates new executives in Ondo
- Service to the people, essence of governance – Badagry LG boss
- Ogun Govt. warns against erection of structure, farming in forest reserves
- EFCC invades election venue in Imo rerun
- Football : Sarri says jeers would be a sign of affection for him
- Ogun Govt. trains law officers in ICT
- President Buhari commends Gov. Matawalle’s handling of insecurity in Zamfara
- Mrs Saraki mourns death of WHO’s head of UHC, Salama
- Mushin plank market, 4 other buildings ravaged by fire in Lagos
- Amotekun: Tinubu, a true leader – Yoruba Ronu
- Senate President empowers constituents, supports 2,000 students
- Empowerment: Senate President distributes entrepreneurship kits to constituents, support 2, 000 indigent students
- Military foils 419 vandalism attempts on oil export pipelines – Commander
- Malaria: NGOs distribute free drugs, treated nets in FCT
- Iheanacho sends Foxes into FA Cup last 16
- Sokoto re-run election hitch free, declaration of results begins- INEC
- NEMA sensitises traders on fire prevention in Kaduna
- Yoruba youths honour NSE chairperson, urge preservation of indigenous languages
- NASPOLY academic staff union elects new officials
- Fidelity Bank rewards customers, harps on youth empowerment
- Bauchi Supplementary, rerun polls, an improvement over 2019 exercise – REC
- MTN empowers 2,000 Nigerian with “Kiosk as a Service” scheme
- Experts caution against excessive, unprescibed use of sex stimulants
- NGO donates improved seedlings to 50, other items to 340 IDPs in Plateau
- FRSC doctorates 25 newly promoted officers in Nsukka
- Kaigama tasks Gov Lalong on inclusive governance
- NATE to fabricate rice dryer, other agric machines this year
- Mobile court prosecutes 300 sanitation offenders in Nasarawa
- KDSG confirms one case of Lassa fever
- Emir of Daura restates commitment to government’s programmes
- Group advocates for National Disability Commission
- Africa has potential to be biggest economic miracle, says AfDB President
- Re-run: Police commend peaceful voting in C/River
- North-East: FG working toward resettling displaced communities
- Finance Act will stimulate Nigerian economy — Osinbajo
- APC scribe commends Abia South peaceful re-run elections
- Kaduna re-run election witnesses voter apathy
- Bauchi Supplementary/rerun polls record large turnout of voters
- Voting commences in Akwa Ibom rerun election
- Lekki residents want Lagos govt to fix roads in dry season
- Financial experts say CRR raise necessary to tame inflation
- NBTE commends Yabatech for setting standards among Polytechnics
- Ex- ANAN President tasks FG on nation’s security
- Lassa Fever: Expert emphasises environmental hygiene
- Sokoto Re-run: Election commences peacefully, turnout impressive
- UTME: NSCDC pledges partnership with JAMB in Anambra
- Review of Nigeria’s university curriculum in final stage – NUC
- Kano Commitee cautions residents on sanitation to prevent Lassa fever
- Korean blockbuster film “Extreme Job” light-up Asian Film Festival in FCT
- Agency woos youths in Anambra on aquaculture
- India-Nigeria bilateral trade volume increase to $13. 9b in 2018-2019
- NIS prevents trafficking of 9 girls
- NPFL Match Day 17: Plateau United, Rivers United, Lobi Stars in battle for top spot
- Oba of Benin calls for peaceful co-existence, unity among Nigerians
- Rooney fails to inspire as Derby draw goalless with Northampton
- FCT police arrest traditional ruler over murder of officer
- Community policing will address insecurity, says APC Governors
- TetFund to construct N500m library at Fed. Varsity Gusau
- Bolivia cut-off diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Education in serious crisis, say stakeholders at UN
- We didn’t direct decommissioning of metres by DisCos – NERC
- FG lauds UNHCR services in Nigeria
- NAF postpones induction ceremony of newly acquired Agusta power helicopters
- Northern/Southern leaders hold peace talk in Lagos
- Rerun: INEC pledges credible elections in all polling units
- Attacks: CAN urges harmony between Xtians, Muslims
- India reiterates commitment to increased defence collaboration with Nigeria
- C/River Gov’t assures of timely completion of General Hospital Calabar
- TI report on Nigeria unfair, untenable- ICPC
- UI offers admission to 4,359 out of 19,482
- Banking sector gross credit grows by N2trn in 7 months – Emefiele
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Human encroachment triggers infectious diseases- Lagos Commissioner
- Gov. Obiano begins payment of N30,000 new minimum wage in January
- Egypt will continue to strengthen African unity -Envoy
- Be more patriotic, promote indigenous airlines operating in Nigeria, says Onyeama
- 20th NSF: Osun official promises better performance
- Gov. Zulum inaugurates Security Trust Fund, 3 other boards
- Corps members conduct sanitation exercise at Plateau hospital
- ATBU Teaching Hospital celebrates 10-year anniversary