Moscow, Aug. 15, 2019 Russians hailed a miracle on Thursday after a passenger plane carrying 233 people made an emergency landing in a cornfield on the outskirts of Moscow after striking a flock of birds shortly after take-off.
The Ministry of Health said 23 people had suffered injuries, but that nobody had been killed when the Ural Airlines Airbus 321 came down in a field southeast of Moscow after striking a flock of gulls, disrupting its engines.
State television said the manoeuvre was being dubbed the “miracle over Ramensk”, a reference to the district of Moscow region, where the plane came down more than one kilometre (0.62 miles) from Zhukovsky International Airport.
The Interfax news agency cited a source as saying one person had suffered serious injuries.
The Komsomolskaya Pravda tabloid lauded pilot Damir Yusupov as a “hero,” saying he had saved 233 lives, “having masterfully landed a plane without its landing gear with a failing engine right in a cornfield.’’
Some drew comparisons with U.S. Airways Flight 1549, which performed a landing on the Hudson River in 2009 after striking a flock of geese.
The engines were turned off when it made the emergency landing and it also had its landing gear up, said Elena Mikheyeva, a spokeswoman for Russia’s Civil Aviation Authority.
An unnamed passenger, interviewed by state television, said the plane had started to shake violently shortly after take-off.
“Five seconds later, the lights on the right side of the plane started flashing and there was a smell of burning.
“Then we landed and everyone ran away,’’ he said.
The plane was due to fly to Simferopol in Crimea, the peninsula annexed by Russia in 2014.
Edited by Abdulfatah Babatunde
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry
- Golf: U.S. fight back to leave Presidents Cup in the balance
- Salah scores twice as Liverpool sink struggling Watford
- Yuletide: Enugu FRSC seeks collaboration with state traffic agency
- Eko Disco records highest remittance efficiency in Q2, says NERC
- Doctors map out measures to forestall litigations over management of patients’ ailments
- Osinbajo in Ikenne, celebrates Otunba Adesina at 80
- Group wants Nigerians to imbibe waste management culture, recycling
- FG pledges to enhance operations of River Basin Development Authorities in 2020