The Russian Orthodox Church on Friday criticised a Turkish court’s decision to enable the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul to be turned back into a Mosque, revoking its status as a museum.
According to its spokesman, Vladimir Legoida, the concern of millions of Christians has not been heard.
“Today’s court ruling shows that all calls for the need for extreme delicacy in this matter were ignored,” Legoida said.
The Hagia Sophia is landmark of Istanbul, once serving as Christian cathedral, later as a Mosque, then as a museum.
Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Ali Baba-Inuwa (NAN)
- Not the right time for me to return to Barca as coach, Xavi says
- Anambra monarchs protest suspension, say “nothing warrants it”
- Edo Election: Ize-Iyamu promises to harness solid minerals in Akoko-Edo
- COVID-19: Commission refunds 2020 Hajj intending pilgrims in Adamawa
- Edo 2020: Crowds at rallies thrill Shaibu
- Board decries increase in maternal, newborn mortality in Plateau
- FG will prosecute destroyers of Akanu Ibiam Int’l Airport fence – Minister
- IPAC dissolves interim committee, fixes Sept. 5 for election
- NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery activities Friday to Sunday
- Nigeria’s low COVID-19 cases due to low sample collection — NCDC