Navalny’s team has organised a series of weekly protests in central Moscow over the past month after several opposition politicians were controversially rejected from the ballot for upcoming city council elections.
Police have been accused of taking a heavy-handed approach to the demonstrations, grabbing protesters forcefully and dragging them into vans.
Upon being released from jail, Navalny said the wave of protests would continue to grow.
“This regime will strongly regret what it has done,’’ he said.
He said those opposition politicians and protesters were taken into custody were “taken as hostages to scare everyone else’’.
Navalny is not currently running for office.
He ran for mayor of Moscow six years ago, garnering a quarter of the official vote count.
Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, endorsed by the ruling political party, won a slight majority at 51 per cent.
Navalny’s supporters accused the electoral authorities of vote-rigging. (dpa/NAN)
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed
- Insurgency: Nigerian Army seeks support from NEDC
- Lawmaker tasks information officers on efficiency, professionalism
- Border Closure: FG inaugurates NFAN executives to boost fish production