South Africa recorded about 12,000 cases of malaria with 63 deaths from January to October 2019, said the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) on Monday in a statement.
The institute said that this year the country recorded a reduction in malaria infection and deaths.
NICD added that the country recorded around 17,000 cases with 114 deaths during the same period last year.
“During the holiday season, many people will be exposed because of their travel to higher transmission areas, both internally and outside the country borders, particularly in Mozambique.
“People, who are planning to travel are urged to take adequate measures to protect themselves from malaria,” NICD said.
The NICD stated that malaria cases in the country are expected to increase during the summer months, with higher temperatures and rainfall in transmission areas.
People should take prevention medication before visiting malaria risk areas, limit outdoor activity after dark, cover up bare skin and using mosquito repellents.
“All travellers returning from malaria transmission areas, including very low-risk ones, should report flu-like illness (headache, fever, chills, fatigue, muscle, and joint pain) that occurs up to three weeks after first potential exposure, in case it is malaria,” it said.
(Edited & Vetted By: Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim)
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness
- Cries about negative impact of border closure sponsored-Sen. Adamu
- Bankers committee earmarks N20bn to maintain national theatre
- Institute calls on govts. to allow INEC conduct local govt. elections
- Kwara Deputy Gov urges OGS old students to give back to Alma Mater
- Presidential aide criticises work done on Calabar-Itu highway by contractor
- Armed Forces College graduates 176 junior officers
- Osinbajo tasks clergy on writing to provide guidance, direction
- Why CBN must transfer Anchor Borrowers Programme to Agric Ministry – Sen. Adamu
- La Liga: Leaders FC Barcelona stumble to draw at Real Sociedad
- Sun Publishing Limited wants Justice Minister’s intervention as EFCC threatens to seal headquarters
- APC remains strong, intact in Zamfara — Yari
- Bournemouth stun Chelsea 1-0 away to end losing streak
- Group advocates women empowerment to check gender-based violence
- Lawmaker condoles with Mimiko, says mother death, great loss to Ondo
- 2 NGOs collaborate to clean up Lagos for healthy environment
- Buhari tasks universities on IGR for sustainable education
- Arts, cultural exchange strengthen relationships between countries – Emirati Artist
- Ismael, Akuso win maiden Ikogosi-Ekiti 10-km race
- CITN confers fellowship on 329, calls for professionalism
- NANS commends Gov. Oyetola for tackling youth unemployment in Osun
- Gov. AbdulRazaq reiterates commitment to Kwara’s socio-economic growth
- Bayern Munich batter Werder Bremen as Borussia Dortmund dominate Mainz
- Akeredolu condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Ogun lawmaker donates equipment to health facilities in constituency
- Inclusive education: Stakeholders urge training of more special teachers
- Ethiopian Airlines to launch 3 weekly flights to Houston Monday
- Shareholders seek more mergers, acquisitions in cement industry