The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Africa has reached 20,125, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said on Friday.
The country recorded 988 confirmed cases over the past 24 hours, Mkhize said in his daily update.
The death toll related with COVID-19 reached 397, up by 28 from Thursday, the minister said.
The total number of recoveries to date is 10,104, he said.
The Western Cape province, the epicenter of the outbreak in the country, led all other provinces with 12,888 confirmed cases, followed by Gauteng with 2,521, the Eastern Cape with 2,459, and KwaZulu-Natal with 1,735.
Nationwide, a total of 543,032 tests have been conducted so far, with 17,599 done in the last 24 hours, said Mkhize.
South Africa is preparing to ease the lockdown from level four to level three of a five-level system by the end of May, which will allow more businesses to reopen and greater movement of people.
As South Africa is entering the winter season when flu is common, the fight against COVID-19 will become more complicated and difficult, Mkhize said, adding the country’s capabilities to fight the virus will then be put to test.
- Italy records 111 new coronavirus deaths, 416 new cases
- Delta has witnessed unprecedented development under Okowa – Lawmakers
- Banditry: Sultan seeks recruitment, funding of security agencies
- Kenyan farmers grapple with oscillating temperatures as climate varies
- Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO
- Ukraine cancels match after some players, staff test positive for coronavirus
- Buhari felicitates with UNILAG VC, Prof. Ogundipe at 60
- Gov. Mohammed sacks director over alleged financial scam
- COVID-19: NGO sensitises Taraba residents on personal hygiene, use of face masks
- Body commends Kaduna for social register dev’t
- I am battling a gang-up, says Bauchi governor
- Anniversary: Nasarawa community hails Sule’s administration on security, projects
- Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles
- Navy reaches out to households in Ogun community
- Law enforcement training institute to train officers on use of body camera
- S. Korea’s daily COVID-19 tally drops below 40 amid push to contain cluster infection
- Competitive sports in England get green light for Monday restart
- COVID-19: Federal Poly produces hand washing and sanitiding machines
- AFAN cautions members against adulterated fertilizers purchase
- More soldiers to patrol Minneapolis as unrest takes hold nationwide