In a statement on Thursday in Kaduna and signed by Special Adviser to Gov. Nasir El-Rufai on Media and Communication, Mr Muyiwa Adekeye, the government said it rejects the strike threat and will not bend to blackmail.
It said that the government would regard persons who failed to show up at their assigned places of work as having forfeited their employment.
The governor warned that those not willing to work against any attempts to impede access to workplaces, harassing willing workers, or sabotaging facilities and equipment.
It stressed that the state government would not be misled into granting health workers any special status.
The 25 percent salary deductions applied to all workers in the employment of the government purportedly done to fund COVID-19 prevention in the state.
“Government will not be browbeaten by strike action into excluding health workers from the sacrifices being made by other public servants who are donating 25% of their salary to fund the provision of palliative.
“The palliatives were for low income, poor and vulnerable persons that are impacted by the lockdown,’’ the government said.
NAN reports that the state government is yet to commence the distribution of the palliatives since the deduction of the salaries.
It had earlier offered foodstuffs to residents in a few local government areas, during which it said N500 million was spent.
“Medium risk staff are receiving N10,000 per day. These are officers involved in taking samples, transferring patients to treatment centres, tracing contacts, etc, while low risk staff are receiving N5,000 per day.
“In addition, the Kaduna State Government has paid premiums for an enhanced insurance package for health workers that raises the death and disability benefits to N5 million and N2.5 million, respectively.
“The insurance package also includes payment of N100,000 per day for 10 days to health workers who get infected with Covid-19,” the statement said.
On complaint of inadequate Personal Protective Equipments, the government said despite the global supply difficulties, it had consistently tried to keep its secondary health facilities supplied.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)
- Los Angeles declares curfew after four days of protests
- Belgium’s hospitality industry heavily affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Portuguese president, PM pay tribute to firefighters amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Hundreds of people arrested after protests against police brutality in Los Angeles
- Cuba backs WHO after U.S. announces terminating relationship
- Spotlight: NASA, SpaceX launch first crewed mission from U.S. soil since 2011
- Feature: Deported Salvadoran recalls dangerous conditions, inadequate care at U.S. detention center during pandemic
- People protest in U.S. Oakland over police-custody death of George Floyd
- Global COVID-19 cases top 6 mln — Johns Hopkins University
- SpaceX launches NASA astronauts into orbit on historic mission
- COVID-19 cases in Chile rise to 94,858, with 997 deaths
- Belgium expresses support for WHO
- Roundup: Over 530 arrested in U.S. LA after protests over death of George Floyd turn violent
- Roundup: Turkey’s COVID-19 cases surpass 163,000 as Iran’s tally nears 149,000
- Sylva, NNPC staff, others pay tribute to ex-GMD of NNPC Baru
- Egyptian, French presidents discuss regional issues, focus on war-torn Libya
- EU condemns killing of migrants in Libya
- COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
- COVID-19: NCAC, NANTA advocate collaborations for tourism sector recovery
- 66 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in Morocco, 7,780 in total