A 30-year-old sales manager, George Eluma, on Wednesday appeared in an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court Lagos, for allegedly stealing N972,000 belonging to Sentone Trading Nigeria Ltd.
Eluma, who resides at Alakuko, Lagos, is standing trial before Magistrate O.O. Ekundayo on a two-count-charge of stealing and forgery, to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Josephine Ikhayere, alleged that the defendant committed the offence between March and December 2018 at Alakuko, Lagos.
Ikhayere said that Eluma delivered some goods to customers but failed to remit the proceeds into the company’s account.
“The defendant collected some goods to supply customers but converted the money to his personal use.
“He also forged the company’s invoice, which he issued to customers,” the prosecutor said.
He said that when reconciliation was conducted in January, it was discovered that N972,000 worth of goods sold could not be accounted for.
“When questioned, the defendant confessed to have converted the money to his own use but promised to pay back.
“The defendant was handed over to the police,” the prosecutor said.
The offence contravened Sections 287 and 365 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 carries three years imprisonment for stealing while section 365 also attracts three years for forgery.
The Magistrate, Mrs O. O Ekundayo, granted the defendant bail of N500, 000, with two sureties as part of the conditions.
Ekundayo said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until May 30, for mention.
- United States stimulus talks collapse, setting stage for Trump executive orders
- Devastated Sarri says he can’t be judged on basis of one match
- American golfer disqualified from PGA Championship after scoring error
- Ronaldinho inches closer to release from Paraguayan ordeal
- Edo polls: U.S expresses worry over deteriorating political climate, security interference
- 2020: China interfering against Trump, Russia against Biden — report
- NOSDRA, Agip investigate oil leak at Azuzuama, Bayelsa
- Environmental group urges African governments to rise against COVID-19, Climate and Health crises
- Police arrest suspects for criminal offenses, kill 1 in Niger
- Chelsea’s Kante ruled fit against Bayern-Lampard