A 21-year-old Sales Representative, Emmanuel Nebo, on Tuesday, appeared before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, for allegedly stealing his employer’s N1.9 million.
The defendant, whose residential address was not given, is standing trial on a three-count charge of conspiracy, stealing and unlawful escape from custody.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to all the charges preferred against him.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Abbass Abayomi, told the court that the defendant and others still at large, committed the offences from May 21, 2019 to Jan. 2, at Balogun market, Lagos Island.
He said that the defendant stole the sum of N1.9 million from his employer, one Mr Kingsley Eze.
Abayomi said that the defendant, on Jan. 6, unlawfully escaped from police custody to avoid being prosecuted.
According to him, the offences contravene Sections 106(9), 287(7) and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Section 106 provides seven years imprisonment as punishment for escape from lawful custody.
Section 287 (7) also provides seven years jail term for stealing, while Section 411 provides two years imprisonment for conspiracy.
Counsel to the defendant, Mr Emmanuel Ikedi, urged the court to admit him to bail on liberal terms.
The Magistrate, Mrs T. B. Are, in her ruling, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N200,000, with two sureties in like sum.
She said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and must show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State government.
Are, thereafter, adjourned the case till Feb. 4 for mention.
Edited by: Debo Oshundun and ‘Wale Sadeeq
- Makinde sacks works commissioner
- Yobe to implement regulation on marketing of breast- milk substitutes
- Nigeria stock market opens week with N8bn loss
- APC please with Obiano to reinstate suspended monarch
- I will continue to ensure peace in Edo, Gov. Obaseki assures traditional ruler
- COVID-19 positive cases gradually coming down – PTF Coordinator
- Ex-Federal lawmaker constructs blocks of classrooms for 2 schools in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu promises community development
- Edo election: APC ward chairman dumps party for PDP
- COVID-19: Five states account for 60% of cases – PTF