Connect with us

Politics

Savanah Bank: Reps C’ttee to interface with CBN, NDIC

Published

on

The House of Representatives has mandated the Committee on Banking and Currency to interface with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) to determine the current status of Savanah Bank.

 

Magaji Aliyu (APC-Jigawa) at the plenary on Thursday.

  2002.

He said the withdrawal was on the grounds that the bank did not have enough assets to meet its liabilities and did not comply with CBN obligations.

According to him, the promoters had been unable to prevent further deterioration of the bank.

The lawmaker recalled that the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) took over as liquidator of the bank which led to the sealing off of the branches of the bank all over the country.

“The bank challenged the closure in court and in a ruling on Oct. 20, 2006 High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, held that the CBN had acted properly in revoking the bank’s licence.

“The Court of Appeal in a ruling on Feb. 6, 2009 ordered the re-opening of the bank and also ordered the CBN and the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation to pay N100 million to the bank as damages.

“History was made in the Nigerian banking industry when in line with the order of the court, the licence was restored thus putting an end to seven years of agony for directors, depositors and other stakeholders of the bank,” he said.

According to him, the 17 years after Savannah Bank’s licence was restored, the bank has yet to commence operations.

that at the time of its forceful closure, the bank had nearly 85,000 shareholders, a share capital of N1 billion and about 118 branches with depositors funds which were in hundreds of millions.

Aliyu said that most of the depositors whose funds were trapped in the bank for the last 17 years were either dead, bankrupt or in dire hardships after many years of depression and discontentment.

The house directed the committee to interface with the shareholders and the new management of the bank on possible ways to refund funds of depositors.

The committee will also find out from the CBN effective measures put in place to avoid the reoccurrence of what led to withdrawal of the licence of the Savanah Bank and its eventual closure in 2002.

The committee is to report back within two months for further legislative action.

Edited by Donald Ugwu (NAN)

—-

Politics

NGO advocates increased participation of women, youths in electoral processes

Published

on

NESSACTION, an NGO, on Friday called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to ensure increased participation of women and youths in the electoral processes of the country.

Ms Eniola Cole, Executive Director, NESSACTION made the call while fielding question from journalists on the group’s observation of the Kogi and Bayelsa governorship elections in Abuja.

Cole said further inclusion of women and youths could be enhanced by using legislation to increase their participation in politics.

“NESSACTION calls on INEC to deepen gender, youth and Persons Living with Disabilities (PWD) inclusion efforts by encouraging the amendment of electoral laws to capture the Not-Too–Young-To-Run constitutional amendment bill.

“Political party candidates who are Not-Too-Young-To-Run should not have to access the ballot through court orders but be freely allowed to exercise their franchise as electoral contestants.

“The youths occupy over 50 per cent of Nigeria’s population and deserve fair representation in electoral process.

INEC is also encouraged to disaggregate youth data by sex in Permanent Voter Card distribution and Election Day Voter Turnout in addition to Gender and PWD data.

“Specifically, we at NESSACTION would like to know the figures for inclusion of young women and men between the ages of 18-35 years,“ she said.

The executive director also called on INEC to have more women aged 18-35years as INEC Youth Ambassadors.

According to her, the call becomes imperative because the published list of INEC Youth Ambassadors is dominated by men three females and 20 males as published in INEC website.

Cole also called on INEC to develop implementation strategies for the PWD Framework on Electoral Access and specifically get PWD Ambassadors to encourage their turnout during polls.

The executive director also advised the electoral umpire to create environment that would enable the participation of more PWDs in the electoral process.

She called on the commission to deploy Braille ballots, magnifying glasses and other election materials to the physically challenged in the society to assist access polling units.

Cole lauded INEC for building capacity of staff and implementing best practices for the conduct of elections in Nigeria.

Edited & Vetted By: Dada Ahmed
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

NGO urges Buhari to boost women small-scale businesses with more grants

Published

on

The Young Mom’s Support Initiative, a non-governmental organisation on Friday, called on President Muhammadu Buhari to support more women with grants to boost small-scale businesses.

Dr Vivian Sonny-Nsirim, Executive Director of the NGO, made the call after being conferred with  a Doctor of Business Administration in International Management at the Annual National Entrepreneurship and Economic Summit.

Sonny-Nsirim said that the grants  would lift more women out of poverty and reduce the unemployment rate in the country.

“Women entrepreneurs are becoming more successful in today’s business world, hence the need to empower more women, to grow the value chain.

“This will help them to become self-reliant and cater better for their families.

“I have empowered more than 10,000 Nigerians on different skills acquisition programmes for self-sustenance and if the president can assist more women, it would be great.

“The award was given to me in recognition of my contributions to business development, business management and result-oriented business strategies,” she said.

Edited & Vetted By: Shittu Obassa/Kayode Olaitan
(NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Ekiti Varsity’s randy lecturer dismissed over sexual harassment

Published

on

 

Dismissal

 

Ado Ekiti, Dec.6, 2019, The Governing Council of Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti, has approved the dismissal of Mr Olola Aduwo with effect from Oct. 7, 2019 for sexually harassing a female student of the institution.

 

The council also approved the dismissal of Mr Cephas Faleye and Dr Kayode Adegoke for abandoning their duty posts.

 

Their dismissal took effect from June 7, 2019 and July 11, 2019 respectively.

 

The institution’s Head, Directorate of Information and Corporate Affairs, Mr Bode Olofinmuagun, stated this in a statement he made available to newsmen on Friday.

 

Olofinmuagun in the statement said that the University Governing Council, approved the dismissal of the workers at its 135th meeting held on Dec.5, 2019.

 

The statement stated that the approval was sequel to the recommendations of the Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee (Academic) that had recommended the dismissal of the three staff members.

 

The statement reads; “Mr Aduwo, however, later admitted to the allegations and confirmed the authenticity of the report of the preliminary panels before which he had appeared.

 

“The Governing Council, at its meeting approved the recommendations of the Committee that Mr Aduwo be dismissed from the services of the University with effect from Oct. 7, 2019″.

 

“Also, it stated that the Governing Council had equally approved the dismissal of Mr  Cephas Faleye and Dr Kayode Adegoke with effect from  June 7, 2019 and July 11, 2019 respectively.’’

 

The statement said that the two workers abandoned their duty posts.

 

The statement quoted the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Edward Olanipekun as saying that the university would not condone any act of misconduct from anybody.

 

Olanipekun warned in the statement that the University would continue to flush out bad eggs within its system.

 

The Nigeria News Agency, reports that Aduwo, a Lecturer 1 in the Department of Accounting, was found culpable of sexually harassing a female student of his department.

 

Aduwo was captured in a video that went viral few months ago, where he was being molested for sexually harassing a female student.

 

Aduwo in his defence then was quoted to have described the development as a set up by some people who were out to ruin his career.

Edited & Vetted By: Peter Dada
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Environment

LASG harps on effective management of construction, demolition, disaster waste

Published

on

Lagos State Government says proper management of Construction, Demolition and Disaster Waste (CDDW) will ensure sustainable environment.

Mr Tunji Bello, the Lagos State Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, said this on Thursday, during a Stakeholders’ Forum on Construction, Demolition and Disaster Waste (CDDW) Management in Lagos State.

The forum, organised by the Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), has the theme: ”Creating Value Through Responsible Management of Construction and Demolition Waste in Lagos State.”

Represented by the Managing Director of LAWMA, Dr Muyiwa Gbadegesin, Bello said that proper and effective management of CDDW would ensure safety, liveability and sustainability of human race and the environment.

He said  the management of CDDW had evolved over the years with the introduction of various strategies with treatment options for reuse and recycling of CDDW to guard it from constituting environmental nuisance.

”Now, LAWMA is taking up the challenges to ensure efficient management of CDDW from cradle to grave in the state.

Lagos State is quite aware that the degree or choice of management options deployed to waste is critical to climate change management, mitigation and adaptation and so, Lagos state is implementing this ‘green’ approach to waste management.

”All these efforts are being concerted with due realisation that any omission or error that can be recorded in the adoption of options shall not create new challenges; otherwise, the world eco-balance will be negatively affected.

” Responsible management of construction and demolition waste is quite apt for us in Lagos at this moment that we are stepping up efforts toward solving the challenges of waste management in the state.

”We are here today to officially launch the CDDW programme of LAWMA and ensure that all stakeholders are well engaged along to own the programme,” the commissioner said.

He said that Lagos State had continued to blaze the trail in innovative approaches to effective management of the waste sector, in line with its determination and commitment to ensuring  a cleaner and healthier environment.

According to him, the state has re- energised the solid waste management sector by promoting the concept of Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, as a major thrust of waste management in the state.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Managing Director of LAWMA, Dr Muyiwa Gbadegesin, said that Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu had laid exemplary effort at ensuring that the state met the highest international standard in Solid Waste Management, across the value chain.

Gbadegesin said that LAWMA was synonymous with Solid Waste Management and had focused on Domestic, Commercial, Industrial and Public waste in time past.

He said that as the population of Lagos increased, more waste was generated and construction work for shelter and infrastructure was also on the increase.

According to him, the rate of construction and demolition activities going on in the state is very alarming and the attendant waste generated from these activities must be properly managed.

”Owing to its significant impact to the natural environment, CDDW needs to be properly managed.

Lagos has limited land, yet we are producing waste at a significant rate due to the high population rate.

”An average of 13,000MT of waste is being generated on daily basis and if this trend continues, all our dumpsites will run out of space in less than five years time.

”Hence, the need to create value from waste through reuse, reduce and recycle, so we can decrease the volume of waste that goes to the dumpsite,” he said.

Gbadegesin said the recent launch of the Blue Box programme by Sanwo-Olu was an attempt to harness opportunities that abound in the waste sector and to promote a healthier environment.

He said the administration was committed to the Zero Waste Initiative, which was a means to consciously engage the populace on environmental issues, through Community Clean-up Campaign, distribution of colour coded thrash bags to encourage sorting at source.

Edited & Vetted By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Environment

LASG extends clean-up of Lagos Marina to adjoining streets

Published

on

  Lagos State Government on Thursday said it was extending its enforcement to areas around MCwen Bridge, down to Muson Centre on Lagos Island.

The Commissioner for Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tunji Bello, said in a statement on Thursday that the extension became necessary following the successful evacuation of street traders, shanties, illegally parked vehicles and miscreants on outer Marina.

Bello said  the enforcement would extend to the Flag Staff House, Police AIG Zone 2 office road, Onikan to the Race Course Roundabout and stretching to the old State House Marina.

He declared a zero tolerance for street trading, food vendors on roadsides and indiscriminate parking inhibiting the free flow of traffic.

The commissioner also gave operatives of the Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI)  marching orders to continually ensure that no street trader was found in the areas.

He said that they should also maintain motorised patrols to clear any spill over of traders and goods.

The commissioner urged owners of all vehicles abandoned or parked indiscriminately on the roadsides to remove them immediately or risk being towed away.

He directed the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) to deploy more street sweepers to all the listed areas to ensure continuous hygiene in the the areas.

Bello added that Lagos State Parks and Garden Agency (LASPARK) on its part, should on a daily basis clear all vegetal nuisances noticed in the listed areas and roads.

He said that LASPARK should also ensure that some of the areas that had lawns converted into clothes hanging lines are cleaned up immediately.

Bello said the task of cleaning up Lagos and restoring the greenery had begun and that there would be no looking back.

He said that after the completion of the clean-up of Marina and its surrounding areas, the next port of call would be Ikoyi and Victoria Island.

Edited & Vetted By: Chioma Ugboma/Wale Ojetimi
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Politics

We’re putting you on 3 months probation, Gov. Matawalle tells new cabinet members

Published

on

, Gov. Bello Matawalle of Zamfara says members of his newly inaugurated cabinet would be on a three months probation during which their performances would be measured.

The governor made the remark on Thursday when members of his new cabinet comprising 19 commissioners and 28 special advisers took their oath of office.

“You will be placed on three months’ probation  within which your capability and efficiency will be measured. It is, therefore, my hope that you will live above board so that together we move our state to a higher level of development.

“There will be a quarterly review of your performances as any form of laxity will not be entertained,” the governor cautioned.

He called on members of the public in the state especially the youth to allow the new government functionaries to operate and render their contributions to the development of the state.

“Do not distract them from their official responsibilities through unofficial visits and unnecessary demands. We are putting in place measures to guard against loitering within the premises of government offices.

“The Secretary to the State Government and the Head of Service are to ensure that government offices are adequately secured and public officials discharge their functions as expected without any form of molestation or harassment,” he ordered.

The Nigeria News Agency recalls that the governor submitted the list of 19 commissioner-nominees and that of special advisers for confirmation by the state House of Assembly on Tuesday and they were all screened and cleared the next day leading to their inauguration on Thursday.

The new commissioners are: Alhaji Sulaiman Tunau, Alhaji Aminu Sulaiman, Abdulkadir Buhari Gora, Jinaidu Muhammad, Muhammad Sadiq Maiturare, Zainab Lawal Gummi, Jamilu Aliyu, Dr Nura Isah and Rabiu Garba,

Others are, Sufyanu Bashir Yuguda, Ibrahim Jibo Magayaki, Yahaya Chado Gora, Yahaya Muhammad Kanoma, Sheik Tukur Sani Jangebe, Ibrahim Isah Mayana, Abubakar Abdullahi Tsafe, Barrister Nura Ibrahim Zarumi, Bilyaminu Yusuf Shinkafi and Abubakar Muhammad.

The 28 Special Advisers include Alhaji Abdullahi Gurbinbore a former commissioner in the immediate past Yari-led APC administration in the state, Alhaji Danyaro Abdullahi, Sa’adu Muhammad, Yusuf Zugu former Special Adviser under Yari’s administration, Aliyu Madawaki Adabka, Ahmad Mukhtar Muhammad, Faika Ahmed Muhammad, lbrahim Ma’aji Gusau and Aminu Abdullahi.

Others are, Gazali Shehu Ahmad, Malam Aminu Zailani former Special Adviser Ulama Council to former Governor Abdul’aziz Yari, Aliyu S Fawa, Umar Sani Katuka, Ahmad Muhammad, Lukman Bisallla Majidadi, Muhammad Bello Galadima, Junaidu Sani Kaura, Rufai Abubakar Chiroma, and Umar G Muhammed.

Othes also are Zailani Baffa, Aminu Iliyasu, Ahmad Muhammad Kabir, Abdullahi Habibu Sirajo, Sambo Garba Marafa, Lawali Abubakar, Abdurrahman Bala, Rabi Ibrahim and Sule Magayaki.

Edited & Vetted By: Chioma Ugboma/Tukur Muntari.
(NAN)

Continue Reading

Latest News

editor@nnn.com.ng