A Grade I Area Court, Abuja, on Tuesday sentenced a scavenger, Yusuf Aliyu, to one week community service, for attempting to commit an offence.
The Judge, Alhaji Inuwa Maiwada, ordered Aliyu to clean a Mosque in Karmo both inside and outside, for one week.
Maiwada warned the convict to desist from committing crime, and to be a good citizen, after serving his punishment.
According to him, the sentence will serve as a deterrent to others.
Aliyu, who resides near Bannex Dumping ground, Wuse II, pleaded guilty to a count charge of attempt to commit an offence, and prayed the court for leniency.
The prosecution counsel, Mrs Ijeoma Ukagha, told the court that on Dec.6, 2019, the police patrol team attached to the Utako Police Station arrested the convict at 11.00 p.m.
Ukagha said the police was on crime prevention patrol when they arrested Aliyu at Bannex Bus Stop, Wuse II, Abuja.
She told the court that Aliyu was arrested in possession of two knives, with intent to put fear into passersby or women that drop at the bus stop at night, in order to snatch their hand bags.
Ukagha said that during police investigation, Aliyu could not give a satisfactory account of himself.
The prosecutor said the offence contravened Section 95 of the Penal Code.
Edited by: Folorunso Poroye/Felix Ajide
- Apapa will open to traffic in October — LASG
- Halep to decide on United States Open after Prague event
- Gov. Fayemi mourns ex-Ekiti lawmaker, Fakiyesi
- Vettel says Ferrari messed up with nonsensical strategy
- Ekiti Govt paying lip service to healthcare delivery, say striking doctors
- Resumption: Academy wants COVID-19 protocol funds released directly to schools
- Willian confirms exit from Chelsea after 7 years
- Anglican Bishop urges govts to save SMEs from collapse
- For Europe’s “super clubs”, UEFA Champions League determines all
- YYA sues for peace in Ondo Assembly, condoles with Ogun over Kashamu