Connect with us

Defence/Security

Security: Enugu CP assures partnership with NIS

Published

on

Enugu State Commissioner of Police, Mr Sulaiman Balarabe, has assured of his command’s continual partnership with Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) in reducing crime in the state.

Sulaiman gave the assurance on Friday when the new Comptroller of NIS Enugu State Command, Mr Emmanuel Arogundade together with key officers of the command, paid him a courtesy visit in Enugu.

The commissioner noted that the partnership would be nip crime in the bud in the state, adding that immigration and police are partners in progress.

“I am assuring you people of the police command readiness to support immigration service at all times to achieve on their mandates in the state,’’ he said.

Earlier, Arogundade applauded the quality of the relationship between the immigration and police in the state.

The comptroller said  he came to register his arrival in the state and to solicit for the police continual cooperation in order to succeed in his mandate.

He lauded Sulaiman on some achievements of his Command so far.

Science & Technology

Buhari approves ministry’s request for security of telecoms infrastructure

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved a request by the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr Isa Pantami, for  provision of security for telecommunications infrastructure across the country.

Pantami said this in a statement signed by Mrs Uwa Suleiman, the Spokesperson for the Minister, and made available to newsmen on Tuesday in Abuja.

As part of Federal Government policy, the minister had championed efforts to identify telecommunications infrastructure as critical national infrastructure, with a view to protecting them from vandalism and theft.

The minister said also that the president had directed that necessary physical protective measures be put in place to safeguard telecommunications infrastructure across the country.

He explained that the Nigerian telecommunications industry, depended on a number of infrastructure that played critical roles in the smooth delivery of telecoms services in the country.

He said: “These are part of Critical National Infrastructure (CNI) because of the important role they play, in ensuring security and in the delivery of other essential services.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, has led to a massive migration to digital platforms and has increased the level of importance of Critical National Infrastructure to the sustenance of our economy and the security of the nation.”

Pantami, however, said that the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) Defence Headquarters (DHQ) Nigeria Police Force (NPF) Department of State Security Services (DSS) and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) had been notified of the president’s directives.

He thanked the president and commended the security agencies for the commitment they  demonstrated in securing the infrastructure.

The minister urged all the Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) to ensure that they further reduced the prices of data and calls for the citizens, adding that this was to reciprocate the gesture.

He also requested the MNOs to submit a comprehensive list of their facility locations all over the country.

“We are also working toward the reinforcement of these directives through appropriate regulatory instruments

The implementation of the National Broadband Plan (NBP) and the implementation of the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy, both unveiled by the president, have repositioned the ICT sector.

“This is evident by the recent Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) which showed that the ICT sector contributed an unprecedented 14.07 per cent to the total GDP in the first quarter of 2020.

“We are confident that this will address the challenge of vandalism of our critical national infrastructure.

It will also go a long way in supporting the implementation of the National Broadband Plan (2020-2025),” the minister said.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ejike Obeta (NAN)

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

Sri Lanka friendship organizations support China’s decision on national security legislation for HK

Published

on

By

Five Sri Lanka friendship organizations on Monday slammed foreign interventions in China’s Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), and voiced support for China‘s efforts to introduce national security legislation for the HKSAR.

“We are pleased and encouraged to see the National People’s Congress of China has adopted (the) decision to make Hong Kong national security laws, which will definitely enhance peace, stability, and prosperity of Hong Kong and the whole region,” the five organizations said in a joint statement.

“We believe the new national security law for Hong Kong will not only abide by but also enhance ‘one country, two systems’ and guarantee the legitimate rights of (the) people of Hong Kong,” the statement added.

The statement was signed by the Sri Lanka-China Friendship Association (SLCFA), Sri Lanka-China Society, Association for Sri Lanka-China Social and Cultural Cooperation, Sri Lanka-China Journalists’ Forum and the Sri Lanka-China Buddhist Friendship Association.

Meanwhile, SLCFA President Ananda Goonatilleke was quoted by local daily The Island as saying that some Western countries were trying to “intimidate China when it is trying to address increasingly notable national security risks in

United States President Donald Trump” href=”# Hong Kong.”

United States President Donald Trump”> Hong Kong.”

United States President Donald Trump

‘s threat to alter a “full range of agreements” that the country has with Hong Kong was “ominous” and followed a trend of Western interventions in the internal affairs of other countries, including Sri Lanka, Goonatilleke added.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

National security laws in Egypt help reduce terrorism: Egyptian legislator

Published

on

By

ECA72962-C185-4676-9D73-1E5F5668BAB6}” title=”” style=”HEIGHT: 6962px; WIDTH: 900px” border=”0″ src=”http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/02/139107368_15910661864171n.jpg” align=”center” sourcedescription=”编辑提供的本地文件” sourcename=”本地文件”>

ECA72962-C185-4676-9D73-1E5F5668BAB6}” title=”” style=”HEIGHT: 6962px; WIDTH: 900px” border=”0″ src=”http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/02/139107368_15910661864171n.jpg” align=”center” sourcedescription=”编辑提供的本地文件” sourcename=”本地文件”>

 

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Security: FCT begins implementation of state community policing

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has kicked off the implementation of the State Community Policing initiative aimed at reducing crime in communities and deepen trust between the public and law enforcement agencies.

The FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, made the disclosure while inaugurating the 16-member State Community Policing Advisory Committee (SCPAC) for FCT, on Monday in Abuja.

Bello said that community policing worldwide had proved to be effective in curbing crime by making the police and community members work together in the prevention and solving of crimes.

He expressed optimism that with the Presidential approval granted for community oriented policing across the nation, Nigeria will begin to witness reduction in crime rate.

Bello, therefore, enjoined members of the committee to take the assignment very seriously and give it the utmost attention it deserved.

He also urged them to be nonpartisan in all their decisions and recommendations as well as be guided by the principles of natural justice and laws of the land.

He noted that community policing was a strategy that was anchored on trust between the people and the security officers.

“Once there is a trust deficit in any guise or form, the workability of this policy becomes highly diminished and we will have lost a great opportunity in improving the security profile of the territory.

“It is necessary that selection into the Special Constabulary is fair and just with proper screening.

“Those selected should also be provided with basic training needed for the job. There should also be a robust feedback and monitoring mechanism for the performance of those appointed to carry out tasks within the communities.

“There should also be confidentiality of investigation and protection of informants,” Bello said.

Responding, Bala Ciroma, Chairman of the 16-member policing advisory committee and the FCT Commissioner of Police, promised to deliver on the mandate and to entrench a result-oriented community policing approach in FCT communities.

Ciroma noted that the committee could only deliver on its mandate if FCT residents embrace community policing and provide the necessary support for its success.

On his part, Sen. Philip Aduda, representing FCT, pledged to support full implementation of the initiative across the territory to enhance the security of lives and property.

The lawmaker commended the Inspector General of Police for reviving the community policing system aimed at improving national security.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that members of the committee included, heads of various government security organisations in FCT and respected political, religious, traditional and community leaders.


Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)

Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Insecurity: Nigerian Army inaugurates ‘Operation Accord’

Published

on

The Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), maintaining peace in Plateau and part of Kaduna and Bauchi States, on Monday inaugurated a special operation code name ‘Operation Accord.’

 

Inaugurating the operation in Gwantu, Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna state, Maj. Gen. Chukwuemeka Okonkwo, Commander of the Task Force, said the special operation aimed at address the spate of insecurity within its area of operation

 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Operation Accord is an ongoing Defence Headquarters operation designed to neutralise and stem down banditry and other forms of insecurity in the North West and North Central zones of the country.

 

 

Okonkwo added that the operation was replicated by OPSH to block infiltration of fleeing bandits and militia groups into its area of operation.

 

He explained that the special operation aimed at identifying bandits and criminal hideouts, would last from till June 30.

 

The commander added that operation accord would facilitate the return of lasting peace within its area of operation, noting that it would also address all emerging security threats.

 

“Operation Accord is today being replicated for synergy of efforts in order to simultaneously conduct same operation within our area of operation from June 1 to 30.

 

“It will also identify bandits and criminal hideouts and neutralise them. The operation will be conducted concurrently with operation WHRL STROKE against banditry within North Central zone.

 

“It is aimed at facilitating the restoration of peace and security across our area of joint operation,” he said

 

Okonkwo assured members of the public that his men would be professional in carrying out the operation, adding that safety of lives and property would be prioritised.

 

“Let me assure members of the public that the military will professionally discharge it’s duties during the operation.

 

“Troops will observe rules of engagement and other best practices for the safety and security of civil populace,” he assured.

 

The Commander called on the general public to avail useful information to the military to enable it achieve the objectives of the operation

 

Okonkwo also cautioned his men against unprofessional practices, noting that one caught would be punished accordingly


Edited By: Ekemini Ladejobi (NAN)

Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands security man for alleged defilement of a 9-year-old girl

Published

on

An Upper Area Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Monday ordered that a security man, Gideon Sunday who allegedly defiled a nine-year-old girl be remanded in police custody.

The police charged Sunday with one count charge of procuration of a minor.

The Judge, Sani Umar granted the application made by the prosecuting counsel, Akaso Sunday not to grant bail to the defendant.

Umar ordered that the defendant be remanded under police custody for one week.

Earlier, the prosecution counsel, Sunday told the court that on May 12, 2020 one Grace Abitayo reported the case at the police station.

He said that the defendant on May 6 2020 took the girl to his room and have carnal knowledge of her.

He added that during police investigation the defendant confessed to have committed the offence.

He prayed the court not to grant bail to the defendant, saying that the offence was not bailable.

He said that if granted bail the defendant would jump bail and would also jeopardise ongoing investigation, adding that the court should refuse him bail.

The offence, he said, contravened the provision of sections 275 of the Penal Code.

The defendant however pleaded not guilty.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Kyrgyz security services detain active member of extremist organization

Published

on

By

Kyrgyz security services have detained an active member of the banned Hizb ut-Tahrir organization, authorities said Monday.

The press service of the State Committee for National Security of Kyrgyzstan said the man, a 49-year-old active member of the Hizb ut-Tahrir religious extremist organization, was detained in the course of operational search measures in the country’s southern Osh city.

The detainee was on the wanted list of one of the neighboring republics for extremist crimes, and was responsible for distributing extremist materials in the Central Asian region, the press service said.

About 20 organizations are recognized as terrorists groups by Kyrgyzstan, including Hizb ut-Tahrir.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Turkish security forces kill 3 PKK members

Published

on

By

Three members of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) were killed in eastern Bitlis province of Turkey, the Turkish interior ministry said on Sunday.

Turkish security forces conducted an air-backed operation in the region, the ministry said in a written statement noting that the operations are underway in the region.

Turkish security forces have long been conducting operations against the PKK in southeastern Turkey and northern Iraq where the group has hideouts.

These operations are intensified in the past few months. PKK members often use northern Iraq to launch cross-border terrorist attacks in Turkey.

In a separate statement on Sunday, the defense ministry also stated the Turkish commandos “neutralized” two members of the Syrian Kurdish People‘s Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria, as they were trying to “infiltrate into the region of Peace Spring aiming to destroy peace and security environment“.

Turkey sees the YPG group as the Syrian branch of the PKK. The Turkish army launched many operations in order to create a YPG-free zone along its border within the neighboring country.

The PKK, listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the United States, and the European Union, has been rebelling against the Turkish government for over 30 years, which has claimed lives of more than 40,000 people.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Zimbabwe steps up security measures at quarantine centers, border areas

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe will tighten up security at COVID-19 isolation centers across the country to prevent quarantined returnees from escaping, a senior government official has said.

Minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Monica Mutsvangwa told the Sunday Mail that government will tighten up security, especially in the country’s border areas to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

“It has been the government’s position that security be heightened so that we reduce the spread of the coronavirus. Government is even working on introducing drones so that we increase security measures in border areas,” Mutsvangwa said.

More than 118 people have fled from a coronavirus quarantine centers in Zimbabwe, sparking fears of a potential coronavirus outbreak.

The escapees were citizens who had recently returned from abroad, mainly from Botswana and South Africa.

Police spokesperson Paul Nyathi urged the community to report returnees who evade the COVID-19 screening processes.

“We appeal to the community to put their safety, health and security first, and report all returnees who evade the required COVID-19 screening processes to curtail the spread of the pandemic,” said Nyathi.

Zimbabwe had as of Saturday reported 174 COVID-19 positive cases.

(XINHUA)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

Read Also