The Northern Governor’s Forum is holding an emergency meeting in Kaduna to deliberate on issues sorrounding insecurity, livestock management, Almajiris and poverty.
The Chairman said that the emergency meeting was summoned to address matters of urgent importance on the survival of the region as well as the wellbieng of the people.
Lalung noted that the meeting was expected to receive briefing from a committee Chaired by Katsina State Governor, Aminu Masari, assigned to develop a comprehensive regional plan of action that could bring lasting solutions to the lingering crisis in the region.
According to him, another major issue to be deliberated upon is the issue of livestock management in the country, particularly the Northern region, which has continued to generate discussions, controversy, misinformation and even politicization.
“You are aware of the many attempts to find lasting solutions to the incessant farmers/herder clashes, cattle rustling and associated criminalities such as banditry, kidnapping amongst others”.
The Chairman further explained that there will be deliberations on the National Livestock Transformation Plan adopted by the National Economic Council chaired by the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo.
The plan seeks to support and strengthen the development of market driven ranches in the livestock ecosystem for improved productivity through breed improvement, pasture production, efficient land and water utilization.
“As a region that holds the comparative advantage in livestock management, as an economic and socio cultural vocation, we need to come up with a common front on how to synergize and draw from the funds available for the program and also ensure that we derive maximun benefit for our people.
“Hopefully, we shall develop strategies on how best to deal with misinformation about the National livestock plan which is sometimes confused with the rural grazing area project”.
Lalong said that the clarification was important because of the urgent need to cultivate all stakeholders and provide a conducive environment for nomadic herders and those who rear livestock.
According to him, this can be achieved using the private/public partnership model.
The Chairman assured that, in the course of their engagement, the remodelled New Nigeria Development Company shopping mall will be commissioned.
He said that the remodelled complex was in line with the company’s mandate of promoting investments and enhancing commercial and industrial development of the region.
He recalled that, a committee was set up under the Chairmanship of Jigawa State Governor, Alhaji Badaru Abubakar to study the current structure, mission and vision of the Company and come up with a road map on how best to resusitate and reinvigorate the company.
“We have to think out of the box, especially, when it comes to the economy of our region which has so much needs that are staring us in the face everyday”.
The Chairman said that the Forum will continue its discourse on how to solve the almajiri phenomenon which had continued to be a social and security challenge for the region.
He therefore urged his counterparts to engage in a robust, open and frank discussion that will assist them to come up with practical and effective resolutions that would move the region to the next level.
“We cannot afford to do otherwise, because our people have entrusted us with their mandates and look up to us in dealing with their day to day challenges which includes poverty, illiteracy, insecurity and economic opportunities”.
The meeting drew Governors, their Deputies, Secretaries to the State governments from across the nineteen States of the Northern region./
Edited by Nick Nicholas/Maharazu Ahmed
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union