The Senate has mandated its Committee on Health to conduct an emergency investigative hearing in the state of healthcare services in teaching hospitals and report back within a week.
This followed a motion by Sen. David Umaru(APC-Niger) at plenary on Wednesday.
The senate further summoned the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole to brief it on the current state of facilities and health care services on the teaching hospitals.
The Upper Chamber also urged the Federal Government to immediately adopt short and long term measures that will holistically address the challenges.
Equally, the Senate called on the federal government to adopt a policy on subsidising medical expenses of patients with terminal ailments such as cancer and kidney failure.
Presenting the motion, Sen. Umaru, said recent reports of poor quality and high cost of services in the hospitals was worrisome.
He said according to reports, teaching hospitals across the country were burdened with widespread cases of poor electricity supply, obsolete medical equipment and decayed infrastructure among others.
Umaru stressed that the challenges had made it difficult for the hospitals to provide tertiary healthcare for patients with complex ailments such as cancer and kidney failure.
He noted that the teaching hospitals by their mandate were expected to train current and future medical personnel besides providing services on complex health matters.
“Several stakeholders in the health sector have recently raised alarm on declining quality of services in the hospitals amidst cases of overcrowding and lack of adequate funding and personnel.
“It is not news that most teaching hospitals in the country had been overstretched, forcing patients to sleep on bare floors, mats and other unhygienic conditions that put them at risk of contracting other ailments.
“It is worrisome that patients with terminal illnesses such as cancer and kidney failure are now compelled to travel long distances to access chemotherapy and dialysis at very high cost.
“This is the due to the absence of the requisite medical equipment for such services within their vicinity, “he said.
Contributing, Sen. Matthew Uroghide(PDP-Edo), commended Umaru for sponsoring the motion.
He said to tackle the problems faced by the hospitals, it was important to note that they were established for research purposes, train medical doctors and attend to complex health challenges.
He expressed disappointment over the deteriorating state of the hospitals,adding that it was a far cry from what it used to be.
“The facts in the motion are under stated, given the fact that there is neglect and no funding.
“Tetfund has been able to provide alternatives funds to schools but the fund is not extended to teaching hospitals,which should not be,” he said.
The lawmaker said among other things, measures should be put in place to provide extra funding for the hospitals, to meet with their challenges.
Sen. Ajayi Borofice called for the creation of a directorate to attend to teaching hospitals rather than assigning them to individual directors in the Ministry of Health.
He stressed that unless something urgent was done, the doctors churned out of the hospitals would perform poorly.
He called on the minister of health to do something urgent to arrest the situation.
Sen. Sani said the money allocated for overhead cost for most of the teaching hospitals was often below cost of running them.
He lamented that the situation had so deteriorated that in some cases, “patients are forced to buy even syringes.”
He said “since the senate is headed by a medical doc we should do something to save the teaching hospitals.
Sen. Magnus Abe said it was important for the health minister to visit the senate for a robust discussion on the challenges and the need to change the existing structure of the hospitals.
He stressed that the present structure where chief medical directors were answerable to directors in the ministry of health was bound to fail.
“Why should a CMD answer to a director. The reason that provision is put there I guess is to impose people on the teaching hospitals.
“There should be autonomy for the teaching hospitals. Let us stop unnecessary bureaucracy that is destroying our institutions.”
In his remarks, the President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki said there was a need for urgent intervention.
“It gives us great concern. No matter how inadequate funding for health is, it is a big shame that patients sleep on the floor.
“It is the issue of corruption. We need to strengthen the office of the Auditor General to check corrupt practices in the MDAs.
“How inadequate can funding be that there is no electricity when these hospitals generate revenue and have government allocations.
“We need to tale a look at this matter as soon as possible,” he said.
edited by Sadiya Hamza
- Manchester United outclass Watford to stay in EPL top-four hunt
- Kebbi BSC’s victory a result of govt’s vigorous efforts, Gov. Bagudu says
- Former Govs Chime, Obi celebrate Former Union Bank Chairman at 85
- Aubameyang goals give Arsenal 3-2 win over Everton
- Cleric cautions parents against keeping girl-child in custody of male adults
- Rodrygo to miss `Clasico’ for overzealous celebration in Real Madrid reserves game
- Kano Pillars’ coach decries Rivers United’s tactics in 1-2 defeat
- Umahi sacks two aides over alleged murder involvement, orders arrest
- Sokoto Hisbah records 606 rape cases in 2019
- Manchester City, Chelsea share spoils in 3-3 WSL thriller
- No kidnappers den in Ilorin – Police
- Don’t come to camp with fake certificates, DG warns prospective NYSC members
- Surelere/Ogo-Oluwa Constituency win Sunday Dare/Oyo Unity Cup
- Garkida Attack: Buhari sympathises with families of victims
- Bayer Leverkusen sink Augsburg to make it 6 wins out of 7
- NPFL: Rejuvenated Nasarawa United spank Enyimba
- EPL: Jota double for Wolves pushes Norwich deeper into trouble
- ‘Aiye’ and ‘Eiye’ confraternity members arrested over battle for supremacy
- Insecurity: Gowon leads ‘Nigeria Prays’ in prayer rally in Bauchi
- Lagos launches maiden farmers’ market, pledges commitment to harness agric potentials
- NPFL: Adamawa United beat visiting FC IfeanyiUbah
- Men gradually taking over beauty business in Jos – Survey
- Learning multiple languages builds intellect, say professor of linguistics
- Professor wants children exposed to multiple languages
- Notorious burglar arrested in Ikorodu, stolen items recovered
- IPMAN lauds PPMC/NNPC for success of ‘operation white’
- School proprietor says sports mould students
- FERMA assures constant maintenance of Nigeria roads—MD
- Nollywood stars light up unveiling of “Regina Magazine” in Abuja
- Osinbajo, Lawan, Okowa applaud Omo-Agege at thanksgiving
- Insecurity: Ebonyi govt takes security outreaches to churches, markets
- One year of re-election: Rep. Olawuyi restates commitment to inclusive representation
- Alleged certificate forgery suit for 7th time malicious – Hon Idrisu
- Supreme court: Kanu Agabi still Ihedioha’s lawyer – Onwubiko
- Kebbi Govt. partners UNIDO for independent power supply
- Lagos govt. inspects ongoing clearance, dredging of drainage channels, canals
- NSCDC personnel dies after writing promotion examination in Lagos
- UNICEF, Kano Govt. inaugurate TWG to tackle poverty index
- Lagos Govt seals 309 health facilities in 2019
- Why incest is becoming rampant in Nigeria – Experts
- Don tasks capital market regulators on bills to address unclaimed dividends, beneficiary owners
- Woman leader canvasses more support for women to alleviate poverty
- SEC assures Dantata subscribers of claims settlement
- CBN clarifies position on operation of domiciliary accounts
- Upsurge in incestuous relationships, threat to lineage arrangement – NAN Survey
- Roadside trading: C/River govt begins work on new market
- Grassroots devt: Badminton federation to introduce schools, junior championships
- Police search for parents of rescued 10-year-old girl in Anambra
- NAMA commissions CAT3 ILS in Lagos, Abuja airports
- Cleric tasks Christians on love, forgiveness
- Jigawa SDP flagbearer, Bashir Adamu, joins PDP
- Stakeholders want NAICOM to increase citizens’ awareness on insurance matters
- Explosion: DPR warns against sales of gas in residential areas
- Okowa salutes Elumelu at 55
- Clergy urges Christian faithful not lose hope in prayers
- Annuity contributes about 40 per cent investment to insurance sector – NAICOM
- Corruption bane of public education in Nigeria – Stakeholder
- Colourful Nigerian culture, tradition on display as Army celebrate WASA in Badagry
- Union urges FG to fund research for national development
- Senator seeks cooperation of Ondo community, BEDC over prepaid meters
- Oyo govt. to reintroduce Open-Day in public primary schools
- New Moon: Sultan directs Muslim faithful to look for Rajab 1441AH
- NDIC liquidates 427 institutions — official
- Foundation donates food items to IDPs in Edo
- SEC generated N194.48m from penalties in 2019 — Uduk
- Police arrest serial rapist in Anambra
- MNJTF Force commander visits amphibious units, tasks troops on synergy
- Police arrest driver for raising false alarm on herdsman’s attack
- Sen. Gyang urges colleagues to reject rehabilitation, reintegration of Boko Haram terrorists agency bill
- Abuja residents lament decline in local dialects
- Catholic NGO raises funds to support less privileged, poor in the society
- 37th Ramat Cup: SWAN urges Kwara Govt to host, reward victorious team
- NAICOM commences full digitisation of its operations
- Cleric cautions couples against divorce in marriage
- Cleric decries high rate of divorce among young couples
- Group tasks FG on PWDs access to reproductive health care services
- Association seeks partnership with Delta Govt on waste management
- Ex-CBN director harps on mechanised farming to check rising inflation
- Ogun police deny killing Remo Stars footballer
- NCC boss, others honoured at 2020 GAGE Awards
- In New York, Dabiri-Erewa, others stir Pan-African spirit
- Gov. Mohammad appoints Balewa as Mass Education Boss
- Nigeria’s Anyanacho clinches Tokyo 2020 Olympics ticket
- FRSC Unit Commander, builds, dedicated 100 sitting capacity hall to Corps Marshall
- Awka Devt Union kicks over NBA delay in hearing criminal petition against a lawyer
- Fury annihilates Wilder in heavyweight title rematch
- How troops repelled terrorist attack on Garkida
- Army committed to families of fallen heroes welfare -TRADOC
- Morales’ spectacular strike downs Real Madrid as Hazard limps off injured
- GSSS Pyakasa, Javino Model School win maiden FCT secondary schools cricket softball competition
- Gbajabiamila bags traditional title in Kebbi
- Customs seizes 140 smuggled gas cylinders, 678 fertiliser bags in Katsina
- Long three months ahead for Spurs, Mourinho says
- New signing Braithwaite vows not to wash Barca shirt after Messi embrace
- Van Aanholt thunderbolt against Newcastle gives Palace first win in 2020
- Falana accuses corrupt political elites as fueling religious intolerance
- Borussia Dortmund beat Werder Bremen as Haaland keeps up scoring run
- Sarri complains about VAR confusion
- If you must beg, beg govt not individuals, Emir Sanusi tells beggars
- Long and Armstrong give Saints 2-0 home win over Aston Villa
- Co-operative society advocates ranching as solution to farmers/herders clashes
- Kano Photographer organises ‘walk against drug abuse’
- FG pledges to deliver roads that will stand test of time – Minister
- Burnley beat Bournemouth 3-0 amidst VAR farce
- Abacha Loot: No plan to surrender $100m to Gov. Bagudu – Presidency
- Messi hits four goals as Barca hammer Eibar 5-0
- G. Jesus seals win for Manchester City at Leicester
- Marseille’s 14-game unbeaten streak ends with defeat by Nantes
- Ronaldo equals Serie A record of scoring in 11 consecutive matches
- Ex-commissioner identifies bane of education
- FG committed to making Yauri festival global brand – Minister
- Cleaner Lagos: Group urges Nigerians to imbibe voluntary service culture
- Buhari charges graduates on application of knowledge in dev’t
- Gov. Mohammed tasks traditional leaders on bush burning
- Complaints: CBN recovers over N82m for commercial banks customers in Katsina
- PDP chairman says party better positioned to reclaim Edo
- National Park Service needs more support from stakeholders – C-G
- APC chieftain urges Buhari to ignore calls against Oshiomhole
- EPL: Giroud on target as Chelsea beat Spurs to stay fourth
- LASG reiterates commitment to prioritise welfare of traditional rulers
- NAICOM worry over obsolete insurance laws,wants urgent amendment
- Don’t use God’s name to cajole people into marriage – Cleric
- Rigatta Festival: I have seen potential gold medalists, says Speaker Gbajabiamila
- Fintiri urges traditional rulers to mobilise subjects for self-help projects
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of cultural heritage
- Nigeria’s Homefort Energy wins RCCG’s $5,000 Kingdom Hackathon prize
- Solar-powered car inventor advocates promotion of solar technology
- Insurgency: TRADOC Commandant says army focused, ready to deal with challenges
- Ondo PDP elects Alabere as deputy chairman
- Girl-child education: NGO urges KDGS to establish female education agency
- Oyo govt. warns against unauthorised road closure
- Farmer/herder conflicts require real-time, practically-oriented solution – Malami
- Salazar link hit me financially and emotionally, Farah laments
- Adopt new processes to block revenue collection leakages- Anambra Assembly
- Tuchel surprised by PSG players partying after Borussia Dortmund defeat
- Mother, daughter, vulcaniser burnt as tanker explodes in Ogun
- NAF neutralises ISWAP leaders in Borno
- Nigerians should be prepared to pay more for electricity — TCN boss
- FG restates commitment to preservation, protection of Nigeria’s culture
- Declare Kalu’s seat vacant — Abia PDP chieftain
- Kwara monarch rallies support for entrepreneurs
- Ondo guber: I will accept APC panel decision –Kekemeke
- 398 benefit from NYSC free medical outreach in Anambra community–Coordinator
- Loss of family values cause of Nigeria’s security challenges – Pastor Adefarasin
- Nigerians to enjoy hourly train services on Lagos-Ibadan route soon—NRC
- Buhari committed to making Nigeria Africa’s commercial hub – ILDC
- New executive for South West Zone of CAN inaugurated
- Outrage as police vehicle hits, kills woman, injures others in Jigawa
- FRSC records 59 deaths from Lagos, Ogun road crashes in January
- Anambra Govt to deploy drone technology to improve healthcare delivery – Commissioner
- Aso Rock murder: NCWS calls on FG to bring killers to book
- RCCG extends assistance to over 50 widows of policemen in Sokoto
- Adamawa lawmaker trains youths on entrepreneurship, leadership principles
- Kebbi govt. restates commitment to creating more jobs, wealth
- COVID-19: WHO warns of reducing opportunities to contain spread, pledges support for Africa
- Z-SIP: Zamfara disburses N56 million for youth empowerment
- FG, nutrition group to develop roadmap to tackle nutrients’ deficiency
- Buhari mourns first NDA Cadet, Col. Ogbebor
- Home, IDP coordinator appeals for feeding, education assistance
- KDSG strategises to implement inclusive education
- Top-4 finish for Spurs will be incredible, Mourinho says
- Group calls for National Disability Commission
- Kwara beat Bauchi 1-0 to win Ramat Cup in Kano
- KDSG reiterates commitment to quality education for every child
- Commissioner urges police cadets to exhibit good conduct
- Gov. Obaseki flags off countdown to Edo 2020
- Alleged sexual abuse: KDSG prays court to grant her custody of 2 children
- Int’l Mother Language Day: Experts advise parents to teach children indigenous languages
- Zambia suspends collection of blood for HIV survey assessment after resistance from citizens
- Mother Tongue Day: Parents restate commitment to ensure children speak fluently
- Youth Group seeks to collaborate with Police Force on effective policing
- U.S. hails FATF’s decision to keep Iran on terrorism financing blacklist
- Lawmaker disburses N6.25m to 250 indigent students in Badagry
- Uche Nwosu lauds late Sen. Uwajumogu, advises politicians to shun do or die politics
- Group seeks promotion of mother tongue to preserve culture
- Banditry: Kebbi govt. to sustain welfare of soldiers families
- We’re creating enabling environment for investors to thrive in Oyo — Makinde
- FG to create 300, 000 jobs in Plateau through agric scheme
- Forex: CBN injects $292.34million into retail Secondary Market
- ABU Zaria, U.S embassy collaborate on homecoming stage play for Black History Month
- Police arrest 3 notorious kidnappers, rescue victim in Kaduna
- Police kill 2 armed robbery suspects in Abuja
- Kogi Assembly advocates joint security operation to curb spate of kidnapping
- Don urges youths to explore potentials in Forestry for self reliance
- LASUBEB tasks stakeholders on success of school feeding programme
- Liverpool captain Henderson out for three weeks with hamstring injury
- 10,000 people join Greta Thunberg at Hamburg climate protest
- Expert advocates men’s participation in family planning
- Terror finance watchdog re-imposes sanctions on Iran
- Commission summons British Airways CEO, GM over consumer rights violation
- Syria: UN Chief issues urgent $500m humanitiarian appeal
- Gov. Masari allocates 140 hectres for textile industry in Funtua
- Grassroots sport devt: Minister, gov, Amokachi, Yobo, others storm Ibadan for Oyo Unity Cup finals
- Gowon seeks Gov. Mohammad’s support for prayer rally in Bauchi
- 141 hospital staff investigated for giving free medicals to friends
- Osinbajo honours Mimiko at mother’s funeral
- Minister calls for more investments in cloud computing
- U.S. Government supports early grade learning in local languages with Minister of Education and Human Development
- Global watchdog places Iran on terrorism financing blacklist
- U.S. Embassy Burkina Faso Welcomes Three New Nouveaux Horizons (NH) Ambassadors