Local officials said on Wednesday that several people were killed in a tribal clash on Tuesday over disputed land in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province.
The fighting erupted between two tribes living in Dur Baba district and Nazyan district over land that residents of both tribes – Shikhan and Hussain Khail – dispute; the fighting lasted for hours.
At least six tribal men were killed and nearly 20 others wounded in the armed clashes, local officials said.
There were conflicting reports about the fatalities with some saying up to 12 died.
On Wednesday, local politicians mediated between the warring sides to temporarily stop their fighting for several days so that the two sides can bury the dead.
Local politicians urged the dispute be resolved through a jirga, a traditional problem-solving court by tribal elders and other influential mediators without any government interference.
A Loya Jirga or grand assembly is an ancient Afghan tradition, especially a traditional code of laws from the Pashtun ethnic group convened at times of major national crisis or to settle major disputes.
The eastern province of Nangarhar, a stronghold of Islamic State for years, with its plains is one of the most important areas for agriculture in Afghanistan.
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Emmanuel Yashim
- Argentina sees record high COVID-19 cases amid economic uncertainty
- 90 illegal immigrants rescued off Libyan coast: IOM
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000-mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Commercial motorcyclists tested for COVID-19 in Rwanda
- Japanese police arrest suspect 10 months after deadly arson attack on Kyoto anime studio
- Trump accuses Twitter of interfering in U.S. elections
- Nigeria records 276 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,344
- India’s total COVID-19 cases surpass 150,000 mark as death toll rises to 4,337
- Angola’s central bank instructs major public bank to protect assets following fraud
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning on economic revival hopes, profit-taking
- Internal border closures hurt Australian economy: PM
- G7 summit to be held in late June: White House
- Trump seeks full withdrawal from Afghanistan without setting date
- Sydney Film Festival launches online program
- Uganda approves return of citizens stranded abroad over COVID-19
- Kyoto animation studio arson suspect arrested on suspicion of murder
- COVID-19 cluster detected on Australian live animal export ship
- Suspect in deadly arson attack at Kyoto animation studio arrested
- Urgent: 5.0-magnitude quake hits 92km S of Ierapetra, Greece — USGS
- Foreign-owned firms support over 730,000 jobs in California