Connect with us

Metro

Sexual Violence: FCTA partners EU, UN on victims centres

Published

on

Sexual Violence: FCTA partners EU, UN on victims centres

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on Monday said that it would establish Centres and Shelters to empower victims of Gender Based Violence in the territory.


Dr Ramatu Aliyu, Minister of state for FCT, disclosed this at the Commemoration of Walk To End Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) organised by the Social Development Secretariat (SDS) in Abuja.

She said that the centres would be established in collaboration with the European Union (EU) and United Nations (UN) Spotlight Initiatives.

Aliyu said that Gender Based Violence Offenders Register had been commissioned in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Women and Social Development, to register all Gender Based Violence cases and the offenders.

“Many intervention programmes have been rolled out, locally and internationally, to eliminate gender based violence in the communities.

“FCT has established a standard and well-equipped Gender Based Violence Response Centre under Gender Department of SDS, to handle all gender based violence cases.

“It is expected that all such cases are promptly reported at the center for immediate actions.

“FCT is also collaborating with EU and UN Spotlight Initiatives to establish Centres and Shelters to empower victims of gender based violence.

“All these are efforts made to eliminate gender based violence in the society,” he said.

The minister said that the Federal Government would join United Nations to commemorate the 2019, 16 days activism against gender based violence towards eliminating violence against women, girls, men and boys.

She enjoined all stakeholders to create awareness across the nooks and crannies of FCT to ensure that everyone key into the campaign against sexual and gender based violence.

Dr Agnes Hart, Director, Gender Department of SDS, said that violence against women and children in any form and shape was not negotiable in the FCT.

Hart said FCTA had zero tolerance for sexual abuse, abuse of women, abuse of children in particular and men in general.

The director said that the aim of the campaign, being commemorated worldwide, was to increase awareness among FCT populace on the need to shun violence against women and children.

Ms Obianuju Osude, Senior Gender Equality and Inclusion, Plan International Nigeria, a Non-Governmental Organisation, called for collective effort to ensure the attainment of gender equality in the country.

Edited & Vetted By: Chidinma Agu/Ismail Abdulaziz
(NAN)

Salisu Saniidris: is a graduate and a professionally trained journalist, with experience in national news reporting/editing and verification at the News Agency of Nigeria. NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

Defence/Security

MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment

Published

on


Maj.-Gen. Ibrahim Yusuf, Force Commander, Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) has given assurance that the recently surrendered Boko Haram/Islamic States West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists would be given humane treatment.


Yusuf made the promise in a statement by Col. Timothy Antigha, MNJTF Chief of Military Public Information on Tuesday in N’Djamena, Chad.

He was quoted to have given the assurance during an interaction with the surrendered fighters in Mora, Extreme North Region, Cameroun.

He said that the Boko Haram /ISWAP idea was misplaced and orchestrated by few misguided individuals who desired to inflict suffering on millions of people in the Lake Chad Basin, for their own selfish and personal interests.

He said that countries affected by Boko Haram insurgency had developed their respective Disarmament, Demobilization, Reintegration and Resettlement () programmes to address the peculiar challenges introduced by the Boko Haram insurgency.

The Commander urged them to encourage their former colleagues and friends who are still in the bush to come out and surrender.

In his reaction, the spokesperson of the group (name with held) commended MNJTF authorities for accommodating and catering for them and their families.

The spokesperson noted that contrary to a widely held opinion that fighters who surrendered are being killed, members of his group are safe.

According to the representative, their commanders told them that they will be killed if they surrender.

”But here we are being treated like human beings,” the spokesperson said.

The representative expressed regret over the atrocities that they were misled to commit and prayed for forgiveness.

The statement noted that the Force Commander also used the opportunity to operationalise the EU funded direct supply of Petroleum, Oil and Lubricants to Sector 1 of the MNJTF.

”It will be recalled that fortnight ago, the MNJTF launched the programme in Sector 4 Diffa (Niger Republic).

“All sectors of the MNJTF are benefiting from the EU intervention,” it added.

Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Felix Ajide (NAN)

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Foreign

UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions

Published

on


UN Secretary-General António Guterres has commiserated with the people and government of Lebanon over Tuesday’s explosions in the capital, Beirut.


No fewer than 70 people died while 2,700 others were injured in the massive blasts at the city’s port, the Minister of Health, Hamad Hassan, said.

Officials said the two blasts originated from highly explosive materials stored in a warehouse although investigations were ongoing to determine the exact cause.

The UN chief’s reaction came in a statement by his deputy spokesman, Mr Farhan Haq.

“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the victims as well as to the people and government of Lebanon following the horrific explosions in Beirut today.

“He wishes a speedy recovery to the injured, including several United Nations personnel working in Lebanon.

“The United Nations remains committed to supporting Lebanon at this difficult time, and is actively assisting in the response to this incident,” Haq said.

United States Ambassador to Lebanon, Dorothy Shea, also reacted to the incident with a condolence message, in which she described the explosions as horrific.

“Having witnessed the horrific explosions at the port this evening, our heartfelt sympathies go out to the victims and their families.

“We mourn each loss from this terrible tragedy alongside the Lebanese people,” the embassy quoted her as saying in a tweet.

(
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

COVID-19

Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO

Published

on


The World Health Organisation (WHO) says the risk of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding is negligible and has never been documented.


Dr Laurence Grummer-Strawn, Head of the organisation’s Food and Nutrition Action in Health Systems unit, stated this on Tuesday, according to the United Nations.

In a report, the UN quoted Grummer-Strawn as making the statement at a news briefing on the 2020 World Breastfeeding Week where he appealed for greater support for the practice. 

This year’s event is coming amid warning by the WHO that lack of mother’s milk is linked to 820,000 child deaths a year, costing the global economy 300 billion dollars (N114 trillion).

WHO has been very clear in its recommendations to say absolute breastfeeding should continue.

“We have never documented, anywhere around the world, any (COVID-19) transmission through breastmilk,” Grummer-Strawn said.

He said exclusive breastfeeding for six months has many benefits for the infant and mother which far outweigh any risk from the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said that the advantages included the fact that breastmilk, including milk which is expressed, provides lifesaving antibodies that protect babies against many childhood illnesses.

“This is only one of the reasons why new mothers should initiate skin-to-skin contact and room-in with their babies quickly.

“The risks of transmission of the COVID-19 virus from a COVID-positive mother to her baby seem to be extremely low”, the WHO official said.

He explained that the conclusion followed the testing of the breastmilk of many mothers around the world in a variety of studies.

Grummer-Strawn said although a few samples had the virus followup tests showed that the virus was not viable and could not be infective.

 

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

Continue Reading

Economy

LCCI to engage VP Osinbajo in virtual presidential policy dialogue

Published

on


The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) said on Tuesday that it had concluded plans to host virtual Presidential Policy Dialogue, futuring Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as the Keynote Speaker.


Dr Muda Yusuf, LCCI’s Director-General, said in a report that the dialogue scheduled to hold on Friday, would deliberate on the state of the economy and public policy initiatives.

He said it would also focus on regulatory issues and their effects on the business environment as the UN Deputy Secretary-General, Dr Amina Mohammed, would also make remarks at the session.

“As part of its public sector engagement programmes, the Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry initiated the “Presidential Policy Dialogue” to create a platform for the organised private sector and the Federal Government to deliberate on issues pertaining to the state of the economy.

“The 2020 edition of the event is expected to bring together key government officials and major players in the organised private sector spanning various sectors of the economy.

“The dialogue session would also explore collaboration possibilities and synergy between the private sector and the government,” he stated.

Yusuf said the forum would bring together, captains of industry, leaders of the private sector as well as members of the diplomatic corps.

He said that the stakeholders would deliberate on issues bothering on the economy and as they related to the mandate of the present administration in order to take it to the next level.

“The chamber believes that through engagements such as this, the government and the organised private sector can identify and address issues affecting the growth of our economy, with a view to proffering long-lasting solutions to them,” Yusuf  said.

Edited  by Vivian Ihechu/Ejike Obeta

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger