Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) Joint Venture says it has spent over N17 billion on infrastructural projects in its host operating communities in Rivers.
News Agency of Nigeria reports that the briefing notes is an annual publication detailing the activities of the company’s business interests in Nigeria.
Weli said the N17 billion was spent in 19 cluster communities as part of its Global Memorandum of Understanding (GMoU) agreement with host communities in 2006.
“The GMoU has given communities highly-valued opportunity to decide and implement projects and programmes that have lasting impact on people’s lives.
“The funding, which took off in 2006, has enabled the 19 clusters in Rivers state to embark on projects covering on health, education, water and electricity, sanitation and infrastructure development.
“SPDC and its joint venture partners provide secure five-year funding for communities to implement development projects of their choice.
He said the projects were managed by Cluster Development Boards under the guidance of mentoring Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs).
“The success of the GMoU initiative has proved what could be achieved when government, international oil companies, communities and NGOs work together for the common good,” Weli said.
According to him, SPDC has given business start-up grants worth over N27.27 million to about 100 indigent Ogoni youths as recommended by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) Report.
“The scheme provides healthcare services, including, child birth, seizure disorders, diabetic and ophthalmic care at Obio Cottage Hospital in Port Harcourt,” he added.
Weli said the company had in 2017 established a Marine Engineering and Offshore Technology centre at Rivers State University.
He said the centre runs 18-month Masters and Diploma programmes in Marine Engineering, Naval Architecture as well as Offshore and Subsea Engineering courses.
He added that SPDC had in 2016 donated a modern public library to the Port Harcourt Literary Society to the tune of N1.58 billion.
Edited by Donald Ugwu
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections