The Police on Monday confirmed the death of Mr Usman Umar, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, in the violent protest by members of the Shiitte movement in Abuja.
In a statement by Force Spokesman, DCP Frank Mba, in Abuja, he said that two other officers and a Channels’ Television Reporter were injured in the incident.
He said that 54 suspects had been arrested in connection to the protest that involved no fewer than 3, 000 members of the group, protesting the continued detention of their leader, El-Zakzakky.
Mba disclosed that the protest took place within the Central Business District of Abuja, with the heavily armed protesters defying all “sense of decency and violently attacked innocent citizens and police personnel on duty’’.
“In the process, the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Operations, FCT Command, DCP Usman A.K Umar, was shot and fatally injured by the protesters.
“The officer who was immediately rushed to the hospital died moments later while receiving treatment.
“Two Assistant Superintendents of Police and a Staff of Channels Television sustained serious injuries and are currently receiving treatment,” he said.
According to him, the violent protesters also razed down a National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Response Post with two vehicles close to the Federal Secretariat, Abuja.
He said the 54 suspects arrested in connection with the protest were undergoing interrogation and would be arraigned as soon as possible.
He said that the IGP had warned that the Force and the nation would not continue to suffer losses on account of reckless and lawless persons and groups in the society.
Earlier, the Police had in its Tweeter handle said that normalcy had returned to the FCT after the violent protest by members of the group.
It said that the areas earlier affected by the protest were Central Business District and the three Arms Zone.
- NIDCOM boss applauds Nigerian martial artist, Usman for retaining UFC title
- Sokoto Govt. disburses N6.5m for free treatment of needy patients
- NNPC declares N5.20b trading surplus in August
- Don tasks Journalists on strict adherence to ethics
- IPCR wins 2019 Human Rights Award
- AC Milan do everything but score in extraordinary 0-0 draw
- Why Bank of Agriculture is still in distress-Minister
- Restrictions of Keke Napep, most difficult decision -FCT minister
- Wolfsburg stun Gladbach with stoppage-time winner
- Brace for record-setting Ronaldo as Juventus beat Udinese
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 8 Results
- Cleric cautions against taking God’s blessings for granted
- Border closure not breaching free trade agreement, FG says
- Expert wants establishment of mini grid system to address power supply challenges
- ¬ Ondo Assembly condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Cleric tasks churches on security measures to check attacks
- Greater Lagos 2020 festival begins Dec. 25 – LASG
- Klopp says VAR has changed his touchline behaviour
- Patronise our national parks during the Yuletide — Conservator-General urges
- Osaka picks Belgian Fissette as new coach
- Buhari rejoices with ex-Gov. Ajimobi at 70
- Draws decided for FCT football league second round
- Sen. Tofowomo condoles with Mimiko over mother’s death
- Sanwo-Olu’s aides decry low production of coconuts in Badagry
- Support your husbands in securing Nigerians, Oyo CP urges POWA members
- Yuletide: Ex-Senate President Mark urges prayers for peace, progress
- Yuletide: Cleric cautions transporters against hiking transport fare
- Gov. Bello inaugurates N500m World Bank community micro projects in Kogi
- Impounded trucks: Iponri Police Station authorities adamant on illegal parking
- Emirate Council dismisses 2 District Heads for disloyalty in Kano state
- U.S-based Nigerian musician involved in accident to undergo another surgery
- Catholic Bishop of Lafia tasks Nigerians on God’s grace
- FMN to invest N34bn in host community development
- Suspension: Turkish Airlines pledges to freight leftover passengers baggage before Dec. 17
- Six DisCos may evade NERC’s sanction after complying with remittance directive
- Music Review: Reekado Banks puts out unimpressive remix to hit song, ‘Rora’
- Kano State Govt. names Kofar Mata flyover after Sheikh Qaribullah Nasiru Kabara
- Experts predict massive growth for Nigerian board game industry
- NAN BoxOffice Review: ‘Your Excellency’ is a bunch of Instagram skits, not a movie
- Taskforce set to remove illegal structures in Lekki from Dec. 21
- Gov. Ganduje promises to continue working for development of Kano state
- Catholic cleric preaches act of giving
- Niger urges residents to take ownership of urban policy
- Be mindful of who to engage as domestic personnel, ex-Police Affairs Minister cautions
- Okuomose, Otuadinma win at Best of the Best Taekwondo Championship
- Arsenal’s Tierney to undergo shoulder surgery, out for 3 months
- Club World Cup: Monterrey to face Liverpool after beating Al Sadd
- Runsewe commends NCAA over initial suspension of Turkish Airline
- FRSC Edo Sector gets new Commander
- Group tasks leaders, Nigerians on time consciousness