Abeokuta, April 16, 2019 The Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN) says it intends to impart entrepreneurship skills on 312 young business owners in Ogun, Balyesa and Kaduna.
Mrs Ime Andy, the Assistant Director, Enterprise Development and Promotion Department (SMEDAN), made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Abeokuta.
Andy spoke on the training components designed by the agency to mitigate business failures being recorded by young business owners.
She said that SMEDAN had selected Ogun, Bayelsa and Kaduna as beneficiaries of the Y-BON Initiative for 2019, saying that the programme was to run simultaneously in the three states.
Andy explained that two centres were selected in each of the three states for the training and 52 participants would be trained in each of the centres.
“Like in Ogun here, the two centres are in Abeokuta and Sagamu; 52 each in a centre which gives us 104 participants in Ogun.
“The same thing goes with other states; so in that case, 104 participants are also undergoing the training in other two states and they would be supported with provision of workspace,” she said.
Andy explained that the Young Business Owner in Nigeria (YBON), a Federal Government initiative, was to address the unemployment situation in Nigeria, which had reached a crises level.
According to her, in addressing the unemployment challenges, the agency had sought to empower and assist young business owners with workspace in order to make them self-reliant and employers of labour.
“The criteria for selected participants include youths between the age of 20 and 45, and they must already be in business,” she said.
Andy said the training was aimed at educating beneficiaries on entrepreneurial skills to enable them to run successful businesses and sustain their business over a long period of time.
“The programme is in three stages: we have done the first stage which is the sensitisation stage; this is the second stage in which the participants are being educated and trained on building their capacity to run their business successfully.
“After training stage, based on the provision by the government, SMEDAN will support the successful participants who have passed all the criteria with a token of money to provide for workspace.
“I believe with this support the unemployment rate will be reduced and it will also contribute to the Gross Domestic Products of the economy,” she said.
Mr Gbenga Ogundeji, the South-West Zonal Coordinator of SMEDAN, also told NNN that the training components were parts of the solutions designed by the agency to mitigate business failures recorded by young business owners.
Ogundeji said that the training on entrepreneurship and marketing skills would sharpen the business management knowledge of the beneficiaries and enhance their performance.
He said that the Federal Government was supporting SMEDAN’s mandate to create new employment opportunities for young Nigerians, by assisting them to create jobs for others instead of relying on white collar jobs.
Ogundeji urged the participants to make best use of the opportunities to become self-employed.
One of the participants, Moshood Badejo, commended the agency for the initiative, calling for the sustenance and expansion of the training to enable more youths to benefit.
NNN reports that the participants were trained on record and book keeping, marketing and sales techniques, entrepreneurship skills, products packaging and branding, among others.
- Reps. make case for Osun aquaculture centre
- Court admits witness statement in trial of Atiku’s son-in-law, Babalele
- Edo Assembly confirms Chief Judge designate
- 17 black rhinos relocated from South Africa to Malawi
- No fewer than 10,000 Austrian homes without electricity after heavy snowfall
- Tunisia’s divided parliament attempts to choose a speaker
- UNODC calls for collective efforts to combat illicit drug use in Nigeria
- Bill to review taxation passes 2nd reading
- Delay in pneumonia diagnosis, treatment can cause child’s death — Paediatrician
- Ex-Pakistani PM rejects govt’s terms for London treatment trip
- Nyako: Counsel prays court to order EFCC to produce 3 witnesses for cross-examination
- NCPC to inaugurate 2019 general pilgrimage to Israel, Rome, Dec.1
- NOA engages community leaders on child/mother morbidity
- Nov. 16, Poll: Police launch code of conduct for personnel in Bayelsa
- APC governors want Oshiomhole to call NEC meeting
- Environmentalist tasks Nigerians on effective waste management
- Association urges FG to compel employers to remit employees’ contributions to RSAs
- Prince Charles talks climate change, takes e-rickshaw ride in India
- Driver bags five years imprisonment for stealing fuel
- Police arraign trader for allegedly beating up his landlady