The All Progressive Congress (APC) Sokoto State Chapter on Thursday said it would appeal the judgement of the Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, which affirmed the election of Gov. Aminu Tambuwal.
This is contained in a statement signed by the state APC Chairman, Alhaji Sadiq Achida and made available to newsmen in Sokoto.
Achida described the judgement as unfair saying that, ”APC wishes to categorically reject it entirely; we believe that the judgement has turned justice on its head.
” Our lawyers are studying details of the judgement with a view to file appeal at the appropriate court of law.”
He urged APC supporters and loyalists in the state to remain calm and peaceful while the party explores all available legal means to reclaim the mandate.
He thanked party members and people of the state for thier support and loyalty and pledged that APC remained committed to defending their interest.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that the three- member tribunal on Wednesday dismissed the petition of the APC and its governorship candidate, Ahmed Aliyu, for lacking in merit.
The Chairman of the tribunal, Justice Abbas Bawale held that the petitioners failed to establish their claims on non compliance with the Electoral Act and the issue of over voting.
reports that Aliyu had gone to the tribunal seeking to upturn the victory of Tambuwal of the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 Governorship election.
The Governorship Election which held on March 9 was declared inconclusive following cancellation of 75, 403 votes which were higher than the 3, 413 votes margin between the leading candidates.
The re-run was then conducted on March 23, which led to the victory of Tambuwal who won with a slim margin of 342 votes.
Edited by Maharazu Ahmed
- Gov. Bagudu sets up committee to refund Hajj deposits to pilgrims
- Gov. Bagudu distributes CACOVID food, relief materials to 38,047 households
- COVID-19: Osun Govt warns against indiscriminate decontamination, fumigation
- FG launches distribution of agricultural inputs in Cross River
- COVID-19: Ooni urges Africans to contribute to global development
- NSCDC pledges maximum support to Amotekun in Oyo state
- FG to pay June hazard allowance of medical workers from Aug. 10
- Northern Governors condemn attacks in Southern Kaduna
- NAFDAC advises careful examination of products before buying
- Ooni tasks govt on food security as Ife celebrate yam festival