Son Heung-min struck a stoppage time winner, after a dreadful error from Bjorn Engels, as Tottenham Hotspur won 3-2 at Aston Villa to move up to fifth in the Premier League.
In an enthralling match, Villa went ahead in the ninth minute when Spurs defender, Toby Alderweireld turned an Anwar El Ghazi’s cross into his own net.
But the Belgian centre-half made amends for that error when he fired Tottenham back on to level terms with a superb shot on the turn from inside the box.
VAR intervened to award the visitors a penalty after reviewing a challenge on Steven Bergwijn by Villa defender Engels and ruling that he had brought down the Spurs forward.
Son’s weak penalty, after a stuttering approach run, was saved by Pepe Reina but the South Korean was the quickest to react as he bundled home the loose ball to send Spurs in ahead at the break.
Then it was the turn of Engels to cancel out his earlier error – the Belgian rising to meet a Jack Grealish corner and power in a header to make it 2-2.
But Engels was to end the game in despair as he mis-kicked a long ball forward and allowed Son to race clear and fire past Reina to take the three points.
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Maharazu Ahmed
Watch Live News
Make A Comment
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 5 new cases in Nigeria
- COVID-19: FCTA begins decontamination of Abuja
- COVID-19: PDP tasks NASS on proposed N500bn intervention fund
- NNPC repairs vandalised pipeline at Mosan, Ipaja Lagos – LASEMA
- KDSG to prosecute anyone caught diverting food for vulnerable people – Commissioner
- Coronavirus – Uganda: Update on the Covid-19 Outbreak in Uganda
- Kaduna food distribution: Poor people not getting items – Coalition
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification on Situational COVID 19 Update
- COVID-19: Oyo govt to fumigate markets in the state
- Coronavirus – Kenya: Kenyatta University Teaching and Referral Hospital becomes COVID-19 facility
- Coronavirus – South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa assesses progress and challenges on implementation of Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown: LASG to punish officials undermining welfare programme
- Buhari condoles with Kano community over demise of 2 prominent citizens
- COVID-19 Lockdown: Lagos offers free treatment for maternity, emergency patients
- Singapore reports 75 new coronavirus cases
- COVID-19: Gynaecologist calls for sustained antenatal, maternal care for pregnant women
- COVID-19: Bangladesh extends public transport shutdown to April 11 to contain spread
- COVID-19: Yobe Govt says suspected case negative
- Oshiomhole @ 68: APC Governors laud party chairman’s commitment to national unity
- BNSG accuses Uji, former Teachers service board boss, of financial impropriety