Sanchez’s Socialist Workers’ Party (PSOE) was the clear winner of elections on April 28 with 28.7 per cent of the vote, although with 123 out of the 350 seats in parliament, the party was far from securing a governing majority.
King Felipe VI tasked Sanchez with forming a government recently.
Sanchez, therefore, began negotiations with the leaders of the other parties represented in parliament.
The PSOE has stressed that it does not want to form a coalition, except to govern alone.
However, it is seeking the support of as many parties as possible to form a “government of cooperation” to elect of the new head of government.
Iglesias said of the arrangement: “We don’t care about names. It’s the content that’s important. UP wants a “common, progressive and stable government that works for the good of the people.’’
Sanchez also said he was satisfied with the arrangement, however.
The socialist leader, with the support of UP, would get the votes of 123 PSOE lawmakers and 42 from UP.
However, he would probably also be dependent on votes from smaller regional parties, and possibly also those of Catalonian separatists.
Sanchez has been heading a minority government since June 2018, when he toppled conservative Mariano Rajoy’s government in a vote of no confidence.
- FEATURE: Governorship election: Checking violence, disruption in Kogi
- FRSC pledges to enforce rules to curtail road traffic crashes
- Turkey says U.S. agrees to take IS fighter stranded on Greece border
- Dasukigate: EFCC to seek order of court for separate trial for Dauski, co- defendants
- Kidnapped Immigration officers’ recount ordeal, thank Navy
- Idiroko FRSC inaugurates new building to enhance service delivery
- Austrian army dog handler mauled to death by Belgian Shepherds
- Show more interest in cassava cultivation, expert advises farmers
- Livestock transformation policy will boost economic growth-Presidency
- Gov. Obaseki swears in new Health Commissioner
- Police arraign 3 men for allegedly stealing $5,000 from an Egyptian
- Cambodian leader orders release of opposition activists
- Oshodi/Isolo LG begins palliative works on community roads
- Trader in court for allegedly defrauding accommodation seeker
- Applicant docked for allegedly assaulting tricycle driver
- Bayelsa Guber Poll: Court nullifies APC primaries, restrains INEC
- Sokoto Assembly passes Bill on balanced budget, effective resource utilisation
- Lawmaker enrols 165 orphans to schools in Zamfara
- DSS says will release Sowore to appropriate persons
- Britain will not name EU commissioner ahead of election – Official