The Washington Redskins have been called upon to change their name by stadium sponsor FedEx amid the ongoing debate over racism in the United States
“We have communicated to the team in Washington our request that they change the team’s name,” the delivery company was quoted by US media as saying late Thursday.
The Redskins name has long been controversial with native Americans demanding a change for decades.
According to industry magazine Adweek, several investment firms have written to the team’s main sponsors to support ditching the name now considered to be a racist term.
These sponsors include Nike and Pepsi.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Physically challenged persons to get automatic employment in Oyo–Gov’s aide
- FMDQ says new CAMA will change Nigerian financial markets
- Iran warns against “politicising” Beirut explosions
- German foreign minister wants South Korean participation in G7 summit
- Truck kills 2 undergraduates in Ekiti
- Blasphemy: Court sentences man to death by hanging in Kano
- Non-contact sports: Coaches, sports enthusiasts want sports centres reopened
- NTTF considers organising 2020 Nigeria Open before end of year
- Kaduna Govt sets Aug. 18, deadline for submission of 2021 expenditure proposals
- Abia APC Caucus expresses satisfaction with Buhari’s administration performance