Connect with us

Education

Stakeholders  commend JAMB on improvement in UTME

Published

on

Stakeholders  commend JAMB on improvement in UTME

Commendation


Ibadan, April 16, 2019 Some stakeholders in the education sector  on Tuesday commended JAMB on the remarkable improvement in the conduct of the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the educationists, Dr Ayoyinka Babatunde and Mr Muyiwa Bamgbose, in separate interviews in Ibadan expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the ongoing UTME which ends on Wednesday.

Babatunde, the Proprietress of De Ayo College in Ibadan,  stated that only a centre had power challenge and it was resolved  promptly.

“I believe that the conduct of UTME was okay. It was a remarkable improvement if you compare it with last year,’’ he said.

Bamgbose,  who is the Director of  Educational Advancement Centre in Ibadan, also said there were less hitches in the conduct of the 2019 UTME.

“It is expected because as you spend time on anything it gets better; this is the summary of the progress in the conduct of UTME this year,’’ he said.

Meanwhile, the Zonal Coordinator of JAMB in Ibadan, Mr Olusola Kuye, said most of the challenges experienced in Oyo State were power failure from faulty generating sets and logistics.

“What the board did was to reschedule candidates affected by these challenges; for instance some of them were brought to our centre here at JAMB office to write the exam.

“We have had extra sessions and the candidates were rescheduled and notified as well as given enough time to get the information and all of them sat for the examination.

“Only few candidates had issues with biometrics verification; but there was an incident form the board provides for such instance,” Kuye said.

He further said investigation into the issue of failed biometrics verification would  be done by the board to ascertain it cause.

“If a candidate was able to do biometrics during registration what now happen that heor she cannot be verified with all the efforts done to ensure the process works?

“This,  the board,  will investigate and take a decision on.

“However, there was no issue of multiple appearance or impersonation in this state,” he said.

Defence/Security

Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo

Published

on


The Police Command in Oyo State says it has arrested three more members of the gang that robbed the First Bank branch in Okeho, Kajola Local Government Area of the state.


Olugbenga Fadeyi, the Police Public Relations  Officer (PPRO) in the state, comfirmed the arrest of the suspects in a statement on Tuesday in Ibadan.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the bank was attacked on July 29 by armed robbers who took away an undisclosed amount of money.

Fadeyi, who said that the total number of suspects so far arrested in connection with the robbery was now five, added that they were being interrogated by the Special Anti-Robbey Squad in Ibadan.

He said that the suspects were arrested with the cooperation of vigilance group members, hunters and residents of the community.

NAN reports that the robbers had used dynamite to blow open the security doors  of the bank to gain entry and killed a police sergeant in the process.

The robbers,  who came in an 18-seater bus, were later chased by members of a vigilance group, resulting in their bus summersulting due to overspeeding.

Three of the robbers were set ablaze by an angry mob while others escaped.

(
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists

Published

on


The Ogun Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has warned motorists to limit their speed while on the highways in order to avoid unnecessary road traffic crashes.


The FRSC Sector Commander in the state, Mr Ahmed Umar, gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Ota, Ogun.

NAN reports that Umar was reacting to the accident that occurred on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, leading to the death of three persons, with seven others injured.

NAN also reports that a commercial Mazda bus, marked FUF 109 ZD, coming to Lagos from Kwara, had, on Tuesday, had a burst tyre at the Youth Camp area, on Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

Umar said that the accident could have been averted, if the commercial bus had adhered strictly to the speed limit.

“The FRSC wants to appeal to motorists to install speed limit devices in their vehicles to regulate and prevent tragedy, when accidents occur,” he said.

The sector commander enjoined motorists to refrain from putting used tyres on their vehicles so as to avoid unnecessary mishaps on the road.

Umar, however, condoled with the families of the accident victims and prayed God to grant them the fortitude to bear the losses.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Foreign

30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM

Published

on


Thirty Nigerians, who were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon have been rescued, and are among a total of 150 victims awaiting evacuation to Nigeria.


The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) made this known in a statement by Gabriel Odu of its Media, Public Relations and Protocol  Unit on

Tuesday.

The commission said the rescue came after a video footage of the stranded Nigerians making an appeal to the Federal Government and well-meaning Nigerians to come to their aid viral on the Internet.

According to it, the appeal for help by the stranded Nigerians led to their rescue by officials of the country’s mission in Lebanon.

The stranded Nigerians have already been relocated to a more conducive apartment.

“They will be part of 150 others to be evacuated to Nigeria after they were trafficked and left stranded in Lebanon.

“The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Houssam Diab disclosed the evacuation plans when the Management of NIDCOM, led by the Secretary,  Dr Sule Bassi, visited that country’s mission in Abuja,” Odu said in the statement.

He quoted Diab as saying that the 150 girls would be returned home in batches with the first group of 110 people leaving Beirut for Lagos on Aug. 12.

The second batch sws expected to arrive Abuja on Aug. 16.

“The diplomat commended  efforts of  the Lebanese Community and the Oyo State Government who is sponsoring the return of  55 of the girls,” he said.

Responding on behalf of the NIDCOM Chairman/CEO, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Secretary of the commission, who acknowledged the excellent ties between Nigeria and Lebanon, urged both countries to sustain the cordial relationship.

Bassi also lauded the Nigerian Ambassador to Lebanon, Amb. Goni Madu Zanna Bura for his dedication and commitment.

He also commended the staff of the Nigerian mission,  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Oyo and Ogun state governments and other strategic partners for their efforts.

“As part of the Nigerian Embassy’s Consular responsibility, the ladies in the said video that went viral and many other distressed Nigerian domestic workers were located and relocated to a safer place.

“Suffice it to say that 150 of these stranded victims are expected to be evacuated next week and handed over to NAPTIP, the agency responsible for (dealing with human) trafficking.

“A break down of the evacuees shows that Oyo State had 41, Ogun 21, Lagos 12, Ondo 18, Osun 26, and Imo 3.

Others are Kwara– 9, Enugu — 1, Ekiti — 6, Kogi — 1, Edo — 1, Delta — 3, Ebonyi — 1, Benue — 1, Abia — 1, Akwa Ibom — 1, and Anambra — 1,” he said.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

General news

Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt.

Published

on


Residents of Ikire community in Irewole Local Government area of Osun have appealed to the state government to intervene in the 37-year-old kingship tussle in the town.


Some of the residents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria in Ikire on Tuesday, said that the tension, which the tussle was creating in the town, was becoming unbearable.

NAN reports that the battle for the throne had started in 1987 after the demise of the former monarch, Oba Oseni Oyegunle.

NAN also reports that when the process of appointing a new monarch started, one of the five ruling houses, Aketula, presented a candidate, Mr Tajudeen Olanrewaju, in line with the Akire of Ikire Chieftaincy Declaration of 1958.

Before the process of Olanrewaju’s installation could be completed, two ruling houses, Ladekan and Lanbeloye, went to court to challenge the inclusion of Aketula in the ruling houses.

An Ile-Ife High Court, Ile-Ife, where the matter was instituted, consequently stopped Olanrewaju’s installation as the monarch, while the incumbent, Oba Olutunde Falabi, was installed in May 1993.

Even though he lost at the Appeal Court, Ibadan, Olanrewaju proceeded to the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court, in its judgment on April 11, 2014, affirmed that Aketula was one of the ruling houses, as provided in the 1958 Akire of Ikire Chieftaincy Declaration.

The Supreme Court also held that in view of the evidence on record, “it shows that the 1958 Declaration, in respect of the Akire of Ikire Chieftaincy stool, has not been amended or repealed.’’

Following the judgment, the incumbent monarch approached the High Court in Ikire, praying it to restrain the state government from deposing him because he had not committed any offence warranting his removal.

He also pleaded with the court to restrain the state governor, the commissioner for justice and the commissioner for local government and chieftaincy affairs from deposing him, while his incumbency subsisted.

Justice Abdulkareem of Ikire High Court, in his judgment of June 29, however, said that Falabi could no longer occupy the stool, based on the 1958 Akire Declaration and the rotational procedure contained therein.

He said that by order of rotation, the process of appointing Olarenwaju, who is from Aketula ruling house, was almost completed before it was stopped by the court.

“Another compelling reason why the plaintiff, Oba Falabi, has to vacate the stool is because his appointment is a nullity. This is because he was not validly nominated by the ruling house or validated by the state government.

“I equally find and hold that based on the overwhelming evidence adduced before me, that the plaintiff, who has already spent three decades on the throne, must not continue to occupy the throne of Akire of Ikire.

“To hold otherwise, will amount to a great travesty of justice.

“The Supreme Court is the highest court in Nigeria and its judgment is binding on all lower courts, and failure to do so amounts to gross insubordination,” the judge ruled.

Alhaji Bamidele Kadir, a resident of the town, said that a situation whereby two people were laying claim to the Akire stool was not good for the development of the town.

Kadir appealed to the state government to intervene by implementing the Supreme Court judgment on the kingship tussle for peace to reign in the town.

He said that the recent High Court pronouncement on the kingship matter had been causing tension in the town.

Also speaking, Mrs Iyabo Olayiwola, another resident, said it was only government’s intervention that could bring peace to the town.

Olayiwola, who said that the kingship matter had been generating tension in the town, appealed to government to do the needful.

Another resident, Mr Bode Olayiwola, also said that the development of the town should be paramount to both the indigenes and the government.

He urged the state government give proper interpretation to the two court judgments on the matter and take the right step in order to nip the tension in the bud.

Edited by ‘Wale Sadeeq

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists MNJTF assures surrendered Boko Haram terrorists of humane treatment 95% of students in exit classes resume in FCT   Obaseki’s administration has restored pride, dignity of Edo people – Shaibu Gov. AbdulRazaq sets up commission of inquiry on Kwara assets Buhari congratulates new NMA President, Prof. Innocent Ujah on election UN, United States commiserate with Lebanon over deadly explosions Manchester City sign Valencia winger on 5-year deal Ex-lawmaker emerges Ondo PDP chairman Nadal to skip United States Open due to COVID-19 concerns, as organisers announce entries Bank robbery: Police arrest 3 more suspects in Oyo Food sufficiency: Osun commissioner inaugurates ‘Wave City’ project Fulham back in EPL after Bryan’s extra time double in playoff final Safety Compliance: LASWA impounds engines of 6 erring ferry operators Resumption: Unity schools’ Principals in Lagos assure parents, guardians of students’ safety Police warn private owners against opening schools to all students New York’s health commissioner resigns over COVID-19 handling LASG holds consultative forum for Y2021 Budget, adopts holistic approach to COVID-19 Limit your speed on highways to avoid crashes, FRSC urges motorists Resumption: Lagos schools comply with COVID-19 protocols Robogarden set to empower education stakeholders on coding technology Gov. Sule condemns killing of journalist, others in Nasarawa state Opposition lawmakers leading anti-corruption investigations says Elumelu Edo 2020: Nothing unusual about lawmakers backing candidates of their choice – Edo speaker Man, 18, docked for allegedly smoking Indian hemp publicly  Kaduna State maternity, paternity leave bill to be ready by end of 2020- El’Rufai’s wife Risks of COVID-19 infection through breastfeeding negligible — WHO Zamfara Govt directs schools to resume on August 9 NSE: Trading sustains positive trend, up by 0.31% 30 stranded Nigerians in Lebanon rescued, among 150 awaiting evacuation – NIDCOM ILO records universal ratification on Child Labour Convention Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada 75% of vehicles plying 3rd Mainland Bridge ‘ll still be captured-  FRSC Kaduna govt spends N16 bn on security in 5 years – El-Rufai Nigeria Airforce partners local Engineering coy for improved services High turnout of students as schools resume for exit class in FCT APC working towards having data bank for members – Sen. Ali Intervene in 37-year-old kingship tussle in Ikire, Residents urge Osun govt. EEDC nabs 2 suspected electricity installation vandals Sokoto: BESDA pledges to enrol 300,000 out-of-school children in 4 years Police arraign man, 40, over alleged N162,000 fraud Security Challenges: You must rejig security strategy, Buhari tells Security Chiefs Alleged $3m bribe: Appeal Court dismisses Farouk Lawan’s no-case -submission Pa Fasanmi buried as Fayemi, Akeredolu,Tinubu pay tributes Business woman, man docked over alleged public fighting Plateau PDP set for state congress – Acting chairman COVID-19: Bayelsa schools ready, safe to re-open – Gov. Diri Police arrest 10 suspects, recover arms, ammunition in Enugu Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides crèches, jingles Gombe govt. moves to address dearth of agric extension workers Police nab 3 over alleged culpable homicide, 2 for kidnapping in Niger