Strides in tackling challenges of basic education
By Martins Odeh, Nigeria News Agency
Undoubtedly, many years of neglect of basic education had resulted to unimaginable decay of infrastructure and systems failure in the sector.
However, almost all the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are assiduously deploying resources to improve the situation.
The various interventions were to address the problems of out-of-school children; improve infrastructure; enhance interests in the teaching profession, among others.
The Federal Government was not oblivious of the infrastructural decay, low school enrolment and importance of basic education, as it established the Universal Basic Education (UBE) in 1999.
The programme is a nine-year basic education strategy to eradicate illiteracy, ignorance and poverty.
The support from the Federal Government was meant to spur the states to improve the standard of basic education, in order to meet the goals of the defunct Millennium Development Goals (MDG) now replaced with Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje, announced this in Abuja, during a working visit to the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu.
The governor said that education should be made free from basic to secondary levels in the interest of the Nigerian child.
The board’s acting Director, Social Mobilisation, Malam Ibrahim Aminu, said the campaign targeted the enrolment of 727,764 out-of-school children in the state in five years.
Aminu explained that the campaign, which targeted the enrolment of 145,000 pupils in 2019, would be carried out under the World Bank assisted Better Education Service Delivery for All (BESDA).
He said the 2,000 stakeholders, who would serve as enrolment influencers, would be trained to carry out community-based and house-to-house sensitisation campaign on the need to send children to school.
According to him, the programme is to support Universal Basic Education Commission in addressing Pillar One of the Ministerial Strategic Plan that seeks to address the problem of out-of-school children in the country.
Similarly, the Enugu State Universal Basic Education Board (ENSUBEB) on Aug. 21, distributed instructional materials worth N1.4 billion to over 1,000 primary and junior secondary schools in the state.
The Executive Chairman of the board, Chief Ikeje Asogwa, disclosed this when the State House of Assembly Committee on Education visited the board on an oversight function.
Asogwa said that the educational materials were distributed to the schools to improve teaching and learning.
He said the board was also renovating dilapidated buildings and providing desks and sports equipment to schools across the state.
In a similar vein, the Oyo State Government has also promised to educate over 170,000 almajiri.
The state government said it would utilise the three million US dollars World Bank Assisted Better Education Service Delivery for All (BESDA) take-off grant to educate 170, 536 out-of-school children in the 23 local government areas of the state.
Dr Nureni Adeniran, Chairman, Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), said the state was committed to boosting enrolment.
The SUBEB chairman reiterated the state government’s resolve to effectively take off the streets, all out-of-school children and put them in public schools.
Also, Prof. Dennis Ityavyar, the Benue Commissioner for Education, on Aug. 15 said the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) had set aside N6.5 billion for the execution of projects under its first and third quarter intervention funds.
Ityavyar made the disclosure in Makurdi, during the launching of the SUBEB’s financial bids opening ceremony for the utilisation of its first and third quarter intervention funds.
Also, the Nasarawa State Government on Aug.15 said over 8, 000 out-of-school children had been re-organised and returned to almajiri schools in Keffi Local Government area of the state.
He also said that the state conducted headcount of the almajiri, adding that 13,000 were registered.
The Plateau State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), said it was currently executing 581 projects in public primary schools across the 17 local government areas of the state.
Prof. Matthew Sule, the Executive Chairman of the board disclosed this in Shendam, at the inauguration of the Social Mobilisation Intervention Campaign for communities benefitting from projects executed by the board.
Prof. Peter Okebukola, a former Executive Secretary, National Universities Commission (NUC), acknowledged this when he spoke recently at the Lagos State University Faculty of Education, 2019 Distinguished Lecture series.
He said that the authorities must show greater attention to teachers’ preparation, happiness and welfare.
Okebukola also advised the government at various levels to improve funding and close up the huge infrastructure deficit in the sector.
Stakeholders noted that there is always the tendency for older folks to be nostalgic when commentaries are made on the falling standard of education in the country.
They forgot to realise that high standards were maintained yester years because of sustained investment in the education sector.
They said that it was regrettable that a country with its first primary school established in 1843 had allowed this magnitude of rot in the system.
The general neglect of the sector has continually given credence to the series of lamentations on the general falling standard of education in the country.
Consequently, it would not be out of place if the various authorities go beyond rhetoric and the seasonal interventions and declare a state of emergency in the sector, in order to address the challenges without further delay. (Features)
- Grammy Award: Burna Boy loses Best World Music Album to Beninese Angélique Kidjo
- Lassa fever: FG commends Kano for quick response
- King Mohammed VI confers honour on Nigerian envoy to Morocco
- Society trains over 3,400 children in dance and music
- Human trafficking: NIS apprehends 7 girls
- Ex-NBA star Bryant, daughter among 9 killed in California helicopter crash —– (Update)
- Rangers bring down Pyramids in Cairo, Hassania Agadir through after Enyimba stalemate
- 2019/2020 NPFL Match Day 17 Results
- Ex-basketball star Kobe Bryant, 4 others die in helicopter crash
- 2020 UTME: JAMB registers 700,000 candidates in 2 weeks
- Rangers official says players deserve praise for beating Pyramid FC
- Dr Sid,Simi’s 5 year-old marriage crashes
- World Leprosy Day: Awareness key to reducing stigma -expert
- Terrorism Index: PDP urges NASS to intervene on security situation
- Blunders prove decisive as Lazio and Roma share derby spoils
- NPFL: Kano Pillars force 2-2 draw at Sunshine Stars
- Third-tier Shrewsbury hit back to hold Liverpool in FA Cup
- Coronavirus: WHO DG to meet with Chinese govt., health experts
- PDP federal legislator, Edionwele, declares support for Obaseki’s second term
- Priest tasks Christian faithful on unity, peaceful coexistence
- Psychologist calls for rehabilitative incarceration of paedophiles
- Cleric urges Christians to emulate Christ’s life
- Nigeria’s true assets are in its youths’ potential, entrepreneur says
- Customs FOU Zone B intercept 3 trucks of smuggled sweets, green tea, cosmetics
- Again, gunmen attack travellers near Rigasa railway station
- Obaseki: We are nurturing youths to see politics as service to humanity
- Cashew value chain investor tasks government on agriculture policy implementation
- Kano rerun election: APC candidate alleges stolen mandate
- Buhari orders Air Force to shell bandits in Niger State
- Ex-Governor Yero urges youths to join active politics, shun bitterness
- Candles lit at Berlin Holocaust memorial to mark Auschwitz liberation
- Gambia police clash with protesters demanding president step down
- Dozens dead in Brazil floods as officials warn of more landslides
- At least 38 dead in Turkey as quake rescue efforts continue
- Adamawa United come from behind to beat visiting Kwara United
- Police in Bauchi nab runaway killer of girlfriend
- Manchester United pummel Tranmere Rovers in FA Cup mauling
- Adopt flexible policy to promote SMEs, SEAP boss tells FG
- Gov. Obaseki commends pace, quality of work at AAU administrative building
- Makinde tasks journalists on defence of democracy
- Police arrest 86 suspects for cultism, violent attacks in Ikorodu
- Olympic football qualifiers moved from China to Sydney due to virus fears
- ‘I am not a spare tyre, I have roles in governance’ – Bauchi D/Gov
- Birthday: Kwara Gov. says no celebration, adverts
- LASG urges state govts to emulate FADAMA model to improve agriculture
- Association promotes unity, peaceful co-existence in Nasarawa
- Inter Milan held again after their on-loan player scores against them
- PDP wins 4 seats in Sokoto re-run elections
- Manchester City spank Fulham 4-0 to reach FA Cup last 16
- NiMet predicts dust haze weather condition for Monday
- Akwa Ibom rerun election: REC lauds security agencies over peaceful conduct
- There is no crisis in Nigerian rugby, NRFF board member says
- FMC Lokoja confirms 3 cases of Lassa fever, records 1 death
- Cleric urges Christians to obey God’s instructions to access His blessings
- FRSC commander warns officers against corrupt practices
- CSOs fault Supreme Court judgment on Imo Governorship election
- Cleric urges Christians to genuinely seek God for their salvation
- Cleric urges FG to tackle crime through job creation
- Election monitoring group adjudges Okigwe North re-run election free, fair
- CLO warns politicians against character assassination
- Overhead bridges: 36 persons arrested for crossing expressway in Lagos
- Lassa fever: Sokoto Govt on alert, mobilises health workers
- Nigeria canvasses gender equality in access to agricultural inputs, land
- Ogun confirms 1 case of lassa fever
- Leprosy: WHO says early detection, treatment helps prevent disability
- Sen. Bwacha endorses Amotekun, advises other zones to emulate South-West
- Kano re-rerun: PDP wins Kiru/Bebeji Federal constituency
- Nasarawa govt. partners fire service to prevent outbreak in schools
- Cleric tasks christians on true repentance
- APC wins Okigwe North Federal Constituency rerun in Imo
- Live according to God’s Word,Cleric advises Christians
- Bow legs: Expert recommends exposure to sunlight, healthy dieting for children
- We stumbled on your property, ICPC replies Pinnacle
- APC wins rerun election in Kagarko LGA of Kaduna
- NGO donates educational materials to community in Abuja
- Troops continue onslaught on Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists in NE, arrest informants – Army
- PDP wins Akwa Ibom rerun
- Coronavirus: WHO advises countries to prepare for detection as death toll hits 56
- Igbos must work hard to get power in 2023 — Tanko Yakasai
- NDE disburses N2.1 m to 210 women in Kebbi
- Revitalising culture to bring people together, my mission – U.S based Nigerian musician
- Group urges Nigerians to support community policing strategy
- Politicians should take bulk blame for current insecurity – Sen. Nyako
- Tragedy: Jealous man stabs girlfriend to death in Bauchi
- Kidney Disease: How adequate, accessible are dialysis machines?
- GOC tasks officers, men on discipline
- Osinbajo, Sanwo-Olu laud Airtel’s CSR initiative
- Nsukka LG chairman grades 22 roads in one month
- Centre introduces measures to check unemployment,restiveness in Nasarawa state
- Police arrest 16 suspects over alleged attack on patrol team in Minna
- Music review: Davido drops unimpressive single in New Year
- National Hospital records high patronage on knee, hip replacement surgeries
- Aliyu pledges to complete renovation of public schools in FCT
- Agro-firm targets 120,000 tonnes of maize in 2020
- APC wins rerun election for Sanga House of Assembly seat in Kaduna
- APC wins reps seat in Ogun
- PDP wins Kaduna Assembly seat
- Bauchi rerun elections: PDP clinches Gamawa Federal Constituency seat
- APC wins Reps seat in Cross River
- Nigerian Army troops thwart Boko Haram attacks in Borno
- Mennonite celebrates 100 years of humanitarian services worldwide
- Wellbeing Foundation Africa mourns late WHO Director
- Saudi Arabia wealth fund in talks to buy Newcastle United for £340 million
- Bauchi Supplementary elections: PDP wins Zaki Federal Constituency polls
- Rangers agree permanent deal with Defoe
- Artists decry continuous locking of Abuja Arts, Craft Village
- China-Nigeria relations productive, beneficial, says Chinese ambassador
- NUJ Chairman calls for independence of Nigeria Press Council
- FAAN explains bush fire incident around airfield side at Lagos Airport
- Lassa fever: Enugu Govt urges residents to be calm, dispels rumour of nurse death
- Amotekun needs FG’s backing to operate, says CG Vigilante Group
- Buhari congratulates Gov. Lalong of Plateau on Knighthood
- Buhari mourns Abdulkadir Oniyangi
- Bishop Kaigama tasks Papal awardees to be guided by Christian values
- Stakeholders call for robust media freedom
- Professionalism key to quality service delivery in NCC – CEO
- Niger gov. condemns renewed bandits attacks on communities
- Lassa fever: 29 deaths, 195 confirmed cases reported in 11 states – NCDC
- Why I am playing local politics – Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Obisia Nwamkpa tasks Lagos on early preparations
- FRSC to impound flatbed trailers without proper latching
- 91 bag first class, as NDU holds 5th combined convocation in Bayelsa
- Stop selling foreign films, NFVCB warns traders
- Kwara Cathedral church re-opens – Statement
- P/Harcourt Disco begins 7.5% VAT Feb. 1
- Mathematicians urge govt. to embrace evidence-based planning for national development
- ZLP inaugurates new executives in Ondo
- Service to the people, essence of governance – Badagry LG boss
- Ogun Govt. warns against erection of structure, farming in forest reserves
- EFCC invades election venue in Imo rerun
- Football : Sarri says jeers would be a sign of affection for him
- Ogun Govt. trains law officers in ICT
- President Buhari commends Gov. Matawalle’s handling of insecurity in Zamfara
- Mrs Saraki mourns death of WHO’s head of UHC, Salama
- Mushin plank market, 4 other buildings ravaged by fire in Lagos
- Amotekun: Tinubu, a true leader – Yoruba Ronu
- Senate President empowers constituents, supports 2,000 students
- Empowerment: Senate President distributes entrepreneurship kits to constituents, support 2, 000 indigent students
- Military foils 419 vandalism attempts on oil export pipelines – Commander
- Malaria: NGOs distribute free drugs, treated nets in FCT
- Iheanacho sends Foxes into FA Cup last 16
- Sokoto re-run election hitch free, declaration of results begins- INEC
- NEMA sensitises traders on fire prevention in Kaduna
- Yoruba youths honour NSE chairperson, urge preservation of indigenous languages
- NASPOLY academic staff union elects new officials
- Fidelity Bank rewards customers, harps on youth empowerment
- Bauchi Supplementary, rerun polls, an improvement over 2019 exercise – REC
- MTN empowers 2,000 Nigerian with “Kiosk as a Service” scheme
- Experts caution against excessive, unprescibed use of sex stimulants
- NGO donates improved seedlings to 50, other items to 340 IDPs in Plateau
- FRSC doctorates 25 newly promoted officers in Nsukka
- Kaigama tasks Gov Lalong on inclusive governance
- NATE to fabricate rice dryer, other agric machines this year
- Mobile court prosecutes 300 sanitation offenders in Nasarawa
- KDSG confirms one case of Lassa fever
- Emir of Daura restates commitment to government’s programmes
- Group advocates for National Disability Commission
- Africa has potential to be biggest economic miracle, says AfDB President
- Re-run: Police commend peaceful voting in C/River
- North-East: FG working toward resettling displaced communities
- Finance Act will stimulate Nigerian economy — Osinbajo
- APC scribe commends Abia South peaceful re-run elections
- Kaduna re-run election witnesses voter apathy
- Bauchi Supplementary/rerun polls record large turnout of voters
- Voting commences in Akwa Ibom rerun election
- Lekki residents want Lagos govt to fix roads in dry season
- Financial experts say CRR raise necessary to tame inflation
- NBTE commends Yabatech for setting standards among Polytechnics
- Ex- ANAN President tasks FG on nation’s security
- Lassa Fever: Expert emphasises environmental hygiene
- Sokoto Re-run: Election commences peacefully, turnout impressive
- UTME: NSCDC pledges partnership with JAMB in Anambra
- Review of Nigeria’s university curriculum in final stage – NUC
- Kano Commitee cautions residents on sanitation to prevent Lassa fever
- Korean blockbuster film “Extreme Job” light-up Asian Film Festival in FCT
- Agency woos youths in Anambra on aquaculture
- India-Nigeria bilateral trade volume increase to $13. 9b in 2018-2019
- NIS prevents trafficking of 9 girls
- NPFL Match Day 17: Plateau United, Rivers United, Lobi Stars in battle for top spot
- Oba of Benin calls for peaceful co-existence, unity among Nigerians
- Rooney fails to inspire as Derby draw goalless with Northampton
- FCT police arrest traditional ruler over murder of officer
- Community policing will address insecurity, says APC Governors
- TetFund to construct N500m library at Fed. Varsity Gusau
- Bolivia cut-off diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Education in serious crisis, say stakeholders at UN
- We didn’t direct decommissioning of metres by DisCos – NERC
- FG lauds UNHCR services in Nigeria
- NAF postpones induction ceremony of newly acquired Agusta power helicopters
- Northern/Southern leaders hold peace talk in Lagos
- Rerun: INEC pledges credible elections in all polling units
- Attacks: CAN urges harmony between Xtians, Muslims
- India reiterates commitment to increased defence collaboration with Nigeria
- C/River Gov’t assures of timely completion of General Hospital Calabar
- TI report on Nigeria unfair, untenable- ICPC
- UI offers admission to 4,359 out of 19,482
- Banking sector gross credit grows by N2trn in 7 months – Emefiele
- NAF set to induct 2 new Augusta Attack helicopters for combat operations
- Human encroachment triggers infectious diseases- Lagos Commissioner
- Gov. Obiano begins payment of N30,000 new minimum wage in January