If there is a trend you definitely don’t want to miss this season, its a pleated skirt. Yes, this bottom piece is back in style, and surprisingly making waves.
According to Google, in 1909, fashion designer Mariano Fortuny created the Greek-inspired Delphos dress. Made of silk satin, it stood out not only for its impeccable lines but also its delicate pleats.
In addition to being an iconic design, it is considered to be the first one to incorporate the technique of repeatedly folding the fabric in the same direction to achieve the characteristic pleats that give it that inimitable style.
Although pleats date back as far as the early 70s but there seems to be a comeback for pleats skirts as it evolves with time. Pleated skirts rule once more and its unexplainable stands out because of its classic nature.
Wikipedia defines ‘Pleat’ generally as a type of fold formed by doubling fabric back upon itself and securing it in place. There are different types of pleated skirts, like the Box pleats, Regular Pleats, Kick Pleats, Inverted Pleats, Knife Pleats, and accordion Pleats.
Pleats skirt is a skirt with fullness reduced to fit the waist by means of regular pleats ‘plaits’ or folds, which can be stitched flat to hip-level or free-hanging.
Fashion designers recommend pleated skirt to match amazingly with a silk top or cotton depending on the material. The skirt is said to be better tucked in or worn loosed.
Mrs Uche James, a dress maker told Nigeria News Agency that till date, she still loves the pleated Zara skirt she got in 2013, especially as the fashion piece has made a major comeback as 2019 draws to a close.
“I would like to say that I am very proud of myself for holding on to a pleated leather Zara skirt I bought back in 2013.
“I knew that thing was special when I first laid eyes on it. Six years later, pleated skirts are making a major comeback.”
She, however, said that it was a bit difficult to put pleating together as it needs lots of concentration, adding that the hard work is worth it at the end when the beauty of the pleats show.
“Truthfully, it is sometimes difficult to make a pleated dress but trust me, if you put your mind while you are at it, the result would leave you in shock.”
People are really in no doubts blending the pleated skirts as some feel the weather this winter is a perfect match for the season. Style enthusiast, Mrs Sandra Fehintola shared similar thoughts.
“I think the weather is harsh due to the season, the dust, dryness of the body, is best covered with long skirts, but I personally prefer wearing the pleated skirts, because it is classic, handy, smarter, and really in vogue,’’ Fehintola said.
Susan Freeman, American textile technologist says that Pleats are usually applied for decorative effect, but are also used to shorten the length of a piece of fabric.
Pleats and gathers have some similarities which boils down to the fact that ‘pleats’ and gathers are commonly used at the bottom of skirts and other garments, while ‘gathers’ are used at the top.
Gathers on the other hand, are a row of small folds made by sewing small stitches of thread through a fabric and then pulling the thread tight
NAN also spoke with Jane Omale who seems to find pleasure in wearing pleated skirts.
She said “I really like pleated skirts not just because of its unique nature, but because of the comfort that comes with it.”
It is no news that apart from pleated skirts being able to emphasise one’s waist, it is surprisingly easy to make and maintain. Thin hips figures also benefit from this skirt as it adds some curves to their smaller figure.
A fashion designer, Mrs Joy Alfred said she recommends pleated skirts for slim people.
According to her, I recommend pleated skirts to people who are slim, as plus size figure looks voluminous in it.
Another dress maker, Peace Stephen said apart from being a dress maker, enjoys wearing pleated skirts herself. She said,
“Apart from being a tailor, I really like doing pleated skirts, though it was somewhat not on trend at some point, as patronage became poor.
“I knew that it would come back, and it is indeed back again, pleated skirts are my favourite.”
Jesmiel Rachael, a secondary school student said she really enjoys pressing her uniforms because of its unique pleated lines.
Mrs Jessica Egbo, however, has a different view of pleated skirts as she feels it is somewhat religiously inclined.
“For me, I feel it is some churches that really wear the pleated skirts, but now it is trending and it depends on the way you combine it that brings out the beauty.
Mrs Vivian Orji, a school owner, prefers pleated skirts for her female students because of its comfort.
“To me, it doesn’t bring out much shape of the girls, it is really decent I mean you can always put the fabric in between your laps and feel free and it makes them look smarter.”
NAN reports that celebrities like Toke Makinwa and Linda Ikeji, Jackie Appiah and others have been seen leading the return of the pleated skirts.
They have found creative ways to pair these pleats with amazing fashion pieces.
Dior, Joseph and Valentino are just a few of the fashion houses bringing pleated skirts back, especially in midi-length, high-waist and medium-volume.
Edited & Vetted By: Ese E.
- Osinbajo receives D8 Secretary-General in Aso Villa
- NYSC boss promises drastic reduction in cases of abscondment from service
- Niger, RAMP to spend N6.6bn on 230km rural roads rehabilitation
- CSO recognises 5 outstanding Nigerians in Abuja
- IGP unveils quiz competition logo for students
- Youth Council lauds Buhari on Obiora’s appointment as CBN Dep. Gov.
- Nigeria to collaborate with D8, others on economy, healthcare -Osinbajo
- Canada, Iran at odds over who should analyse downed plane’s black boxes
- NATO could support EU in enforcing Libya arms embargo- Stoltenberg
- Number of homicides in Mexico hits record 35,588 in 2019
- Bentaleb joins Newcastle United on loan from Schalke 04
- Updated: UNICEF, ADSUBEB begin mass enrollment of out-of- school children in Adamawa
- Bangkok governor defends order for children to sing royal anthem
- Court remands man, 47, in Correctional Centre for allegedly defiling minor
- EFCC witness says JAMB revenue officer, boss failed to remit N36.5m revenue
- Tsav, Chieshe congratulate Ortom on Supreme Court victory
- French player denies disrespecting ball girl after banana request
- South African Airways says flights operating normally after bailout talks stall
- Prince Harry arrives Canada, relinquishes royal duty
- 2020 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon: Media accreditation gets new deadline
- Russian PM Mishustin presents candidates for new cabinet to president Putin
- Halep survives injury scare in tough first round win
- Omeje emerges Nsukka LG chairmanship candidate in PDP primary
- Professionals urge PPP strategies to bridge infrastructure deficit
- Protest marches resume in Colombia, several people reported injured
- Chinese court jails former Interpol chief over graft
- Nantes to wear Argentine colours in tribute to Emiliano Sala
- UK-Africa Investment Summit launches new partnership for growth in Nigeria
- Lagos begins sale of admission forms for model colleges
- Young activists in Davos demand say for their generation
- Abia govt. to utilise dry season for road construction
- Buhari mourns Justice Bashir Wali
- Podolski set for Cologne return but not as player
- Alleged pension fraud: EFCC witness admits mistake in bank account linked to Maina’s son
- Israeli police ban drones in Jerusalem’s airspace during holocaust remembrance forum
- Ihedioha: Gov. Wike did not insult PDP leadership – Nsirim
- Buhari re-appoints aides on Disability Matters
- Leave legacy of one man, one vote to deepen democracy, Lagos PDP tells Buhari
- Indian growth may recover between April, September, says IMF chief economist
- Use ICT to grow your business, Minister tells community
- NSE market capitalisation loses N127bn amid profit taking in blue chips
- More than 1m Syrians receive residence permits in Turkey
- Germany conducts raids over suspected Mitsubishi diesel fraud
- Expert urges proper medical examination for domestic workers
- India issues stringent guidelines for airlines from China, Hong Kong amid coronavirus deaths
- Learn from your predecessors, expert advises government
- World needs to prepare for ‘millions’ of climate refugees – UN official
- NDLEA partners NAPTIP against illicit drugs, human trafficking in Edo
- Kingpin of syndicate who killed Odunukwe says “lust for money” responsible for evil act
- North Korea abandons nuclear freeze pledge, blames ‘brutal’ U.S. sanctions
- Russia steps up airport screening of Chinese travelers over coronavirus fears
- Court remands man, 30, in custody for allegedly raping 17-year-old
- FG restates commitment to D-8’s health, social protection programme
- Close saving/lending rate gap to boost economy, Expert urges CBN
- FRSC commences operation number plates verification in Plateau
- 2 docked over alleged stealing of property valued at N179, 200
- S/Court verdict: Mark congratulates Ortom
- JAMB: 2 arrested for alleged hike in UTME cost
- Group lauds AbdulRasaq for reviving education in Kwara
- Sociologist advocates adoption of Naira as ECOWAS single currency
- Ensure speedy completion of Gbaji-Apa-Owode Road project- Lawmaker
- C/River Govt. dissolves LG pension board
- PDP scribe says Ortom’s victory affirms Judiciary still intact
- FRSC promotes 49 personnel in Zamfara, calls for renewed commitment
- Katampe/Jahi residents urge FCDA to construct over-head bridge to minimise gridlock
- Kyrgios puts it in perspective as he eases into Australian Open’s second round
- Lebanese police defends rubber bullet use in clashes with protesters
- Gov. Ugwuanyi says Enugu can thrive without Federal Allocations
- 20 ships with petroleum products, food items expected at Lagos Ports — NPA
- UK watchdog begins 2-year crackdown on financial advisers
- Delta State Local Content Agency bill passes through second reading
- S. Korea on high alert amid possible human-to-human spread of new coronavirus
- Chairman Ikosi-Isheri LCDA is dead
- Yoruba World Congress hold rally in support of “Amotekun” in Ogun
- Communication Minister urges Hadejia people to utilise ICT for economic growth
- Customs boss tasks officers on asset declaration
- LASG partners NNPC to secure pipelines across metropolis
- Dedicate your victory to youth development, lawmaker urges Tambuwal
- Deadly virus spreads across China, rises international concern
- MAN set to establish N9bn Moringa plantation
- INEC gets disability desks nationwide
- Buhari greets Festus Keyamo at 50
- Wartime bomb defused after shutting down Cologne business district
- DPR, NSCDC arrest 5 welders over refurbishing of expired cylinders in Kaduna
- Sultan seeks unity among all political gladiators in Sokoto
- 5 vagrants in court for allegedly causing public nuisance
- Baby born prematurely with high blood alcohol content dies in Poland
- Four Enugu para-athletes get national call up for Olympics qualifier, says coach
- Myanmar president calls for prosecutions for Rohingya killings
- There will be massive fight against corruption this year – EFCC Chairman
- PDP National VC aspires to fly party’s flag in Ondo Guber race
- Alleged protest: Police cordon off Gani Fawehinmi Park
- Man docked for alleged culpable homicide, armed robbery
- FG nominates Adewopo to lead WIPO
- Only committed trainees will henceforth get NDE’s resettlement loan,says D-G
- Community leader tasks FG on 2030 SDGs to end poverty, hunger
- Sri Lankan president admits those declared ‘missing’ in war are dead
- 19-year-old boy granted bail on N40,000 bond over alleged phone theft
- Abia Govt. commences disilting of drainages in Umuahia
- Expert says cultivating sustainable lifestyle will help protect environment
- Court remands man, 21, for alleged $200 fraud in Osun
- Supreme Court affirms Ortom, Fintiri’s elections
- Islamist political party in Pakistan blocks film on moral policing
- FG decries non-remittance of taxes by lottery operators
- NASS to enact laws to aid development of grids
- Manchester United face English FA charge for conduct against Liverpool
- TCN inaugurates new power transformer in Asaba
- Don calls for establishment of weather control centres in schools, govt. offices
- Buhari greets President Xi Jinping on Chinese Lunar New Year
- Why discipline, contentment necessary for leadership – APC chieftain
- FRSC, FMC partner to assist drivers with health challenges in Bayelsa
- Coy urges AGF to investigate ICPC operatives over alleged invasion of Pinnacle
- Man, 20, docked for allegedly peddling 250kg of Indian hemp
- Cleric urges Nigerians to Intensify prayers for lasting peace
- Egypt sentences Italian ex-consul to prison for smuggling artefacts
- Housewife seeks dissolution of her 11-year-old marriage over abandonment
- UN calls for collaboration among MDAs to promote effectiveness
- Abdulsalami Abubakar calls for synergy among Nigerians to tackle insecurity
- Lassa fever: Kano Govt says suspected cases not confirmed yet
- FIFA, Qatar organisers publish World Cup sustainability strategy
- Bayern Munich interested in Real Madrid defender Odriozola
- Moon calls for ‘comprehensive’ defense posture against various security threats
- 70 women benefit from NGO’s free cervical cancer treatment
- Navy arrests 10 suspected rice smugglers in A’Ibom
- Court remands 2 over alleged armed robbery in Ikorodu
- Drug abuse: School proprietor seeks special surveillance on women involvement
- Malaria: Plateau Govt. to distribute more than 2 million mosquito nets
- 7 SEAP employees docked over N40m fraud
- Supreme Court affirms Fintiri’s election, dismisses Bindo’s appeal
- Amotekun initiative ‘ll curb crime in Yorubaland , says Yoruba World Congress
- S. Korea to send troops to Hormuz Strait independently to safeguard people, vessels
- Foundation seeks training of personnel in disability management
- FG advises pregnant,nursing mothers on healthy living
- UTME: JAMB withdraws 11 centres’ licences for charging exorbitant amount
- S/Court judgment: Useni urges plateau citizens to remain calm, committed to statehood
- Breaking: Supreme court affirms Ortom’s election, dismisses Jime’s appeal
- Gov. Oyetola swears in President of Osun Customary Court of Appeal
- Katsina State governor’s wife commences medical screening of 500 IDPs
- Niger Assembly grants Gov. Bello approval for N25bn Sukuk bond
- Police arrest 4 herders for allegedly raping minors
- Groom youths to take over leadership or fail, says APC chieftain
- NDLEA partners NAPTIP on illicit drugs, human trafficking in Edo
- Merkel to launch portrait exhibition showing Holocaust survivors
- ABSUTH workers refuse waiving 14 months salary arrears for minimum wage
- Women laud NGO for supporting survivors of Gender-Based Violence in Kaduna
- Plateau Govt. trains over 1000 youths in ICT- Commissioner
- Court sentences man to 5 years in prison over student’s visa scam
- Trader bags 3 months jail term for stealing recharge cards worth N330,000
- Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital explains privatization of laboratories
- Mauritania invites NASFAT Chief Missioner to conference on enhancing religious tolerance
- NACA trains 130 youths, women in Kano state
- Operation Zero Tolerance: FRSC records 70 deaths on Lagos, Ogun roads
- I’m sorry we made you cry, Napoli captain tells club’s young fan
- PCN charges young pharmacists to promote national development
- Navy arrest 9 suspected kidnappers, rescue 28 victims
- Interfaith group set to hold general assembly, peace conference
- Housing cooperative, easiest way to acquire shelter-Surveyor
- China remains second largest FDI recipient in 2019
- Tourism institute tasks NASS on enabling laws
- MACBAN to embrace modern techniques on animals breeding
- APC chieftain urges govt. to empower youths to recycle waste
- Alleged infidelity: Clergy seeks dissolution of 24-year-old marriage
- Supreme Court FC ready to regain NNL position, coach says
- Development: Nasarawa council boss harps on executive, legislature relationship
- IUO VC calls on PCN to advance digital innovations,graduates 121 pharmacists
- Plateau: S/Court judgment victory for all – Tallen, others
- Jos: Why married men eat out
- Construction coy builds 160 shops for roadside traders in Enugu
- TCN increases transformer capacity in Asaba substation to boost power supply
- Woman sues for divorce, pledges to return N70,000 bride price
- Agent docked for allegedly defrauding accommodation seekers
- Trump takes credit for ‘roaring’ U.S. economy in Davos
- YouTube makes new appointment to fuel growth
- Alleged $2.1bn arms scam: Absence of ex-Aviation Minister, Fani-Kayode, stalls trial continuation
- Malaria live-saving commodities: Nigeria seeks $364m from 3 partners – Coordinator
- FRSC urges newly promoted officers in Enugu to be committed to duty
- VAT: Exemption of basic goods will boost local production–Experts
- Suicide: Foundation embarks on awareness on effects of drug abuse
- Our labs are certified to check substandard products – NAFDAC
- Dara, former chairman, Bwari Area Council dies
- Court remands Nigerian Legal Awards organiser over alleged N20m fraud
- Budget: Employ federal character in spending, APC chieftain tells FG
- Accidents, fire outbreaks: Cleric renews call for special prayers
- 5 Indonesian sailors abducted by Philippine militants
- Farmers encroach on 138,000 hectares of forest reserves in Ondo – Akeredolu
- Dokpesi opens defence in N2.1bn alleged fraud charge
- 2023: You can’t win Lagos, Salvador tells PDP
- Protests, outbursts on Supreme Court judgment needless -APC chieftain
- President confirms Salih-Farah as substantive NITT D-G
- Ibadan residents in heated debate over use of real life experiences by comedians
- WHO expects further spread of new coronavirus in China
- Prince Harry arrives Canada to start royal transition
- Poor facilities: UITH resident doctors begin 7 days warning strike
- NDLEA arrests 249 suspects, seizes 426kg drugs in Anambra
- Thai energy ministry urges motorists to use bio-diesel to reduce haze
- Features: Estimated Billing as the bane of Nigeria’s power sector reform
- Dock labour employer calls for review of stevedoring law
- South Korea to send anti-piracy naval forces to Strait of Hormuz
- What next after childbearing?
- Teenager, 8 others docked over alleged cultism in Lagos docked over alleged cultism in Lagos