Gov. David Umahi of Ebonyi has lauded the fighting spirit of the Super Eagles in the ongoing African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in Egypt.
Umahi made the commendation in a congratulatory message to the Eagles signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Emmanuel Uzor, and made available to newsmen in Abakaliki on Wednesday.
He said, “The unity of purpose and character displayed by the players showed that the team is capable of returning to Nigeria with the trophy.”
Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governor Forum, urged Nigerians to emulate and apply similar spirit in their approach to national development.
The governor, who was said to have adjourned the state Executive Councl meeting to be able to watch the Eagles versus Guinea encounter, also congratulated the team for being the first to qualify for the second round of the tournament.
He called on the team and its management to amicably resolve all issues concerning match bonuses and other entitlements for the players and officials.
“I am optimistic that Nigeria’s sports will improve with proper harnessing of talents which abound in the country.
“We should shun ethnicity in the nation’s football because it (football) has proved to be a unifying factor in Nigeria,” he said.
Nigeria defeated Guinea 1-0 in Alexandria to qualify for the round-of-16.
(Edited by Philip Dzeremo/Sam Oditah)
- Stakeholders urge Enugu Assembly to review state urban, regional plan law
- Fire rips through crowded Cameroon prison
- Zamfara: Police partner ex bandits, rescue 12 kidnap victims -PPRO
- LG polls: Benue PDP chairman optimistic of victory
- Lagos reinvigorates e-governance, boosts network
- NITDA presents national outsourcing strategy to stakeholders
- Ogun set to resume normal business, eases lockdown
- Northern Governors congratulate Masari @70
- Austria to pay artists 1,000 euros a month to weather Covid-19 crisis
- Akande emerges Chairman of Ibadan LG Properties Company
- Buhari hails Consul-General Godwin Adama at 60
- Navy appoints 110 senior officers
- Labour, Civil Society flays deduction of salaries of workers, pensioners by Kaduna Govt, other States
- Gov Okowa’s wife donates food items to 5 correctional centres
- COVID-19: We’ve yet to receive promised ventilators from U.S. – Minister
- OYO APC inaugurates Alao-Akala led reconciliation committee
- Ibadan Poly manufactures ventilator, hand washing machine
- COVID-19: NCDC striving to increase PCR capacity for testing across Nigeria – DG
- FG approves police reorganisation, additional department, zonal commands
- COVID-19: NYSC corps members to wed by 5 a.m to avoid crowd