The apex court also
The seven man panel of Justices led by Sylvester Ngwuta dismissed the two applications for lacking in merit.
Justice Amina Augie while delivering the ruling said the request to review the judgment was vexatious, frivolous and regrettable.
Augie in the unanimous ruling came down heavily on the counsel to the applicants, Babalola and Olanipekun for filing the motions which the court described as regrettable motions and a deliberate desecration of the judiciary.
“With tears in my eyes, I feel sad that senior counsel in this case would ever bring this kind of frivolous applications during my life time”.
She held that by Order 8, Rule 16 of the Supreme Court, the court has no powers or authority to review any judgment delivered on merit safe for clerical error.
“This court is not authorised and indeed lacked jurisdiction to review any judgment delivered on merit.
” More so when the applicants have not pointed out any accidental error or slip in the judgment. There must be an end to every litigation.
“This is final court and its decisions are final for all ages so as to ensure certainty in law,” she held.
According to her, “the two applications brought before us today lacked merit and constituted abuse of this court and they are liable to dismissal and are hereby dismissed.
Babalola,SAN, Counsel to Lyon and Deputy had in his submissions said that the Supreme Court has inherent decision and power to set aside its own decision.
“The judgment which voided the election of Lyon and his deputy was a nullity on account of denial of fair hearing to them.
According to him, ‘the procedure adopted by the apex court on February 13 was wrong because there was no cause of action at the time it gave judgment against Lyon.
However, Mr Tayo Oyetibo, SAN, Counsel to the PDP informed the apex court that the applications by APC and its candidates were dangerous invitation to the Supreme Court to violate section 285 of the 1999 constitution, for the court to sit on appeal over its own matter.
Oyetibo argued that having delivered final judgment on merit, the court has no jurisdiction to sit on appeal in the judgment, adding that it is scandalous to ask the apex court to review the judgment.
He further stated that the apex court was right in disqualifying Lyon as the governor-elect because section 187 of the 1999 constitution is clear and unambiguous to the effect that a governorship candidate who has no deputy candidate is not qualified to contest any governorship election in Nigeria.
“When Supreme Court gives judgment, it is deemed correct.
His submissions were subsequently adopted by other respondents in the matter.
The apex court had in February held that the nomination form Degi-Eremieoyo submitted to INEC for the purpose of the Nov. 16, 2019 governorship election in the state, contained false information of fundamental nature.
However not satisfied with the decision of the apex court, the APC, Lyon and Degi-Eremienyo applied to the court for a review and setting aside of its judgment that disqualified them from the November 16 poll.
The applicants specifically wants the Supreme Court to set aside the “wrong” interpretation given to its judgment of February 13, 2020 and the subsequent execution by INEC.
Among others, APC is contending that the Supreme Court, in its judgment, misinterpreted the November 12, 2019 judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja which it affirmed.
The party argued that the Supreme Court acted without jurisdiction and denied it fair hearing when it proceeded to disqualify its governorship candidate even though the Federal High Court, in the judgment by Justice Inyang Ekwo, which the apex court affirmed, refused the prayer to disqualify Lyon.
APC also faulted the interpretation given to the Supreme Court judgment by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in deciding to issue certificate of return to the candidates of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
It stated: “After reinstating the judgment of the trial court, this honourable court proceeded to disqualify the governorship candidate of the appellant (Lyon David Pereworimin) in spite of the fact that the trial refused to grant the reliefs for his disqualification and there was no appeal against same.
“In this honourable court’s judgment of February 13, the court erroneously and inadvertently stated that the trial court consequentially disqualified the applicant‘s governorship candidate even though the trial court made no such order.
” Rather, the trial court indeed refused to grant the express orders sought by the plaintiffs therein for his disqualification”.
The APC want the Supreme Court to set aside portions of its judgment where it held that the Federal High Court, in disqualifying its Deputy Governorship candidate, proceeded to disqualify its governorship candidate.
“And where it held that joint ticket of its candidates was vitiated by the disqualification of the Deputy Governorship candidate and that both candidates are deemed not to be candidates in the election”.
It further prayed the Supreme Court to set aside the portion of the judgment where it ordered INEC to declare as winner of the governorship election, candidates with the highest number of lawful votes.
” Also where it ordered INEC to withdraw the certificate of return issued to its governorship candidate and the issuance of fresh one to the candidate who had the highest number of lawful votes”.
The APC argued that it was wrong for the Supreme Court to have voided its candidates’ participation in the election, when, the judgment by the Federal High Court, disqualifying its deputy governorship candidate, was stayed as at when the election was conducted.
It stated: “By an originating summons dated 12th September, 2019, in Suit NO: / 1101/2019 between Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) & 2 Ors. v. Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo & three others., the respondents approached the Federal High Court for a total of 10 reliefs.
In the judgment of the Federal High Court, delivered on November 12, 2019, the said court granted only six of the reliefs.
“In the drawn up order of the Federal High Court duly signed by the trial judge the six reliefs granted are clearly encapsulated therein.
“In specific reference to the reliefs for the disqualification of the governorship candidate of the applicant (Lyon David Pereworimin), the trial court refused to grant the plaintiffs’ prayers to disqualify him.
“It was only the Deputy Governorship candidate of the applicant (Biobarakuma Degi-Eremienyo) that the trial High Court made an order of disqualification against.
“Applicant and its governorship and deputy governorship candidates timely appealed the judgment of the Federal High Court to the Court of Appeal, and also applied for a stay of execution of the said judgment pending appeal.
“The Court of Appeal, Abuja division, stayed the execution of the judgment of the trial High Court.
“As at the time the governorship election in Bayelsa was conducted on Nov. 16, 2019 the order for stay of execution granted by the Court of Appeal was subsisting and there was no appeal against it.
“The judgment of the Court of Appeal was delivered on Dec. 23, 2019 whereby the Court of Appeal set aside the decision of the trial High Court delivered on Nov. 12, 2019.
“There was no cross-appeal to the Court of Appeal against the decision of the trial High Court refusing to make an order disqualifying the governorship candidate of the applicant (David Lyon)”.
APC said the apex court acted without jurisdiction and also breached applicant’s right to fair hearing.
“With respect, the portions of the judgment of this honourable court highlighted in the body of this application constitute a nullity.
“With respect, the decision of this honourable court of Feb. 13, was premised on and vitiated by a fundamental error and is contrary to public policy.
“By a press statement made on Feb. 14, the Chairman of the 4th respondent (INEC), reviewed the judgment of this honourable court, gave it a different interpretation and came to a wrong conclusion, thus declaring the 2nd and 3rd respondents as the Governor and Deputy Governor elect of Bayelsa, respectively.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Watch Live News
Make A Comment
- COVID 19: MAN tasks governors on smooth movement of essential items
- FG further reduces pump price of petrol to N123.50 per litre
- COAS inaugurates flats at Ikeja Cantonment
- COVID-19 Lockdown: NNPC seeks smooth movement of petroleum tankers
- 2 killed, 1 injured in attack on Kaduna community
- CONVID-19: Sokoto gets N128m support, monitors 11 persons
- Zamfara Govt. closes illegal rehabilitation centre in Gusau
- COVID-19: UBA donates N28.5m to Kebbi Govt. to combat menace
- Nigeria records 4 new COVID-19 cases in FCT, Lagos
- TCN, NNPC collaborate to increase gas supply to electricity industry
- Blaming FG for coronavirus spread insensitive – NATBO
- COVID-19: NSC calls for synergy among port users, agencies
- IMF Executive Board approves framework for new round of bilateral borrowing arrangements
- COVID-19: Police to enforce lockdown order in Adamawa – CP
- Reps donate two months salary to combat COVID-19
- COVID-19: PDP wants group to manage donations
- CIBN to elect new officers at virtual online AGM on Saturday
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: Update on COVID-19 Coronavirus – 31March 2020
- COVID-19: CUPP advocates door to door testing for all citizens
- COVID-19: Rep pledges continuous support for constituents
- NLC condemns alleged plans to increase electricity tariff April 1
- COVID-19: Akeredolu orders fumigation of markets, motor parks in Ondo State
- Military impounds smuggled rice, arrests 4 suspects
- NCDC dispels rumour on suspected COVID-19 woman in Badagry
- PDP NWC reconstitutes Ondo exco
- Troops destroy Boko Haram terrorists’ logistics base, neutralise fighters in Borno
- Covid 19: BUA group donate isolation centre in Kano
- COVID-19: Most Adorable Queen in Nigeria contest postponed – Organisers
- COVID-19: Red Cross advises Nigerians to obey government’s directives
- Coronavirus – Africa: Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Global Epidemic – 31 March 2020
- COVID19: No request from Nigerians aboard for evacuation- Foreign Minister
- NY governor says ‘we underestimated this virus’ as cases pass 75,700
- NSE: Indices drop further by 0.14%
- COVID-19: FRSC frowns at overloading by motorists in Lagos, Ogun –Zonal Commander
- COVID-19: Southern Kaduna union prays for Gov. El-Rufai
- COVID-19: Bauchi records third positive case – official
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Premier Alan Winde urges communities to support the fight against Coronavirus COVID-19
- COVID-19 lockdown: Gov Diri relaxes restrictions
- COVID-19: Don urges business operators to be creative
- Catholic Archbishop urges nations to unite to end COVID-19
- Coronavirus – South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa sends condolences to families of elderly social grant recipients
- Safety of Nigerians, not tariff increment, DisCos’ priority- Distributors
- Rep assures judicious use of members’ donations
- COVID-19: Benue legislator distributes protective materials to constituents
- COVID-19: Church distributes food, money to less privileged in Port Harcourt
- COVID-19: Kwara shuts borders, fumigate markets
- Coronavirus – Kenya: 9 people test positive for Coronavirus
- KDSG revokes license of private school over alleged rape of 9-year old
- COVID – 19 : Adamawa Govt. provides 4 respiratory equipment for treatment
- COVID-19: Akeredolu signs Public Health Regulations Order
- COVID-19: Kwara NYSC camp ready as isolation centre – Coordinator
- Edo govt. donates food items to Uhorgua IDP camp
- ACF calls for tracking of COVID-19 Emergency Fund
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Minister Naledi Pandor on South Africans stranded abroad during Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown
- Kano market scales up campaign against COVID-19
- Coronavirus: Sierra Leone confirms first case of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Lalong vows to prosecute violators of safety directives
- Prisoners riot under control, says Controller
- COVID-19: NCDC to increase test capacity to 1500 per day
- NDLEA arrests 57 suspected drug peddlers in Oyo
- Coronavirus: Uganda Red Cross Public Statement on Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Group urges Christians to comply with FG’s directives, seeks palliative measures
- Somalia Becomes 182nd Member of Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency
- Lockdown: Security personnel force garri price down in Asaba
- No COVID-19 case in C/River yet – UCTH
- Coronavirus – Botswana: President's Address to the Nation
- FG to deploy 300 GeneXpert machines to test for covid-19, Health Minister says
- Makinde didn’t contract COVID-19 at Ibadan rally–Aide
- COVID19: Group donates personal protective equipment to FCTA
- COVID-19: Oyo NUJ wishes Makinde, others speedy recovery
- Stop stigmatising Covid-19 positive persons – Minister
- Coronavirus: Berger Paints supports LASG with products
- COVID-19: Coalition of health professional bodies in Katsina wants isolation centres separated from hospitals
- COVID19 : UBA donates N28.5m to Ebonyi
- COVID-19: Ogun confirms another case
- COVID-19: LG fumigates markets, public places in Lagos
- Lockdown: Kaduna residents complain of hunger, demand food
- Covid-19 : David Mark urges Nigerians to support govt efforts
- COVID19: Kano Gov’t fumigates markets, public places
- Macron wants greater French independence in fight against Covid-19
- Chris Olakpe’s demise, big loss to LASTMA family — GM
- COVID-19: Jigawa NSCDC takes awareness campaign to markets, motor parks
- Economists advise Osinbajo-led Economic Sustainability Committee
- COVID-19 : Ekiti LG boss warns residents against violation of directive
- Fayemi names committee for COVID-19 support account
- U.S. Federal Reserve sets up fresh mechanism to meet demand for dollars
- COVID-19: Bauchi govt. imposes lockdown, closes borders
- Coronavirus – Zamba: 1 new Coronavirus case
- Obasanjo, regional leaders seek concerted efforts to combat coronavirus
- Operation Lafiya Dole gets new theatre commander
- London gin distillers make hand sanitiser for police
- Finding the optimistic within the pandemic
- Anambra Govt. earmarks N98.4m for 2020 FG/IFAD-VCDP farming season
- German zoos ask for 100 million euros due to coronavirus crisis
- COVID-19: Foundation donates 12,000 hand sanitisers to Abia communities
- Coronavirus – Africa: African Union Member states reporting COVID-19 cases
- Thailand’s gov’t warns against April Fool’s coronavirus jokes
- FEATURE: April fools: A permissive day for peddling falsehood?
- COVID-19: Ekiti’s index case recovers, discharged
- Russia’s top doctor for coronavirus cases tests positive for virus
- 1st Quarter 2020: Yobe police command records less crimes
- Angola, Senegal, Cameroon, Ghana and Nigeria among the most hard hit amid Covid-19 and oil price plunge
- COVID-19: NDDC donates N1bn to 9 N’Delta States
- COVID-19: Africa records 5,013 confirmed cases, 157 deaths – WHO
- Federer wows fans on Twitter with video of trick shots
- NUPENG directs tanker drivers to obey govts’ directives or face penalties
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: Update COVID-19 30 March 2020
- COVID-19: ECWA declares 3-day fasting, prayers for God’s intervention
- COVID-19: Rivers govt. imposes 24hrs curfew in identified areas
- I-G, 11 other officers test negative for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Ogun Gov’s wife donates food items to widows, single mothers
- Journalism – Coronavirus: How to receive all the press releases about coronavirus issued by African governments and instititutions
- Coronavirus – Tanzania: A Tanzanian, aged 49, dies from Coronavirus
- Lockdown: IPAC urges FG to direct law enforcement agencies not to hinder flow of goods, services
- Governors assure manufacturers easy operations, flow of essential goods, services
- Coronavirus – Cameroon: 51 positive cases
- COVID-19 lockdown: DPR monitors filling stations, warns against hoarding
- COVID-19: LIRS extends Annual Returns filing deadline to May 31
- Infant and Young Child Feeding in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic – Eastern, Central and Southern Africa
- COVID-19 lockdown: Group distributes food in Calabar
- Senegal reports 13 new cases of COVID-19
- Sierra Leone confirms first case of coronavirus – President
- AFAN begs Enugu govt. to assist farmers in farmland preparation
- COVID-19: DPR intensifies surveillance on fuel stations, urges safety compliance
- Coronavirus – Sierra Leone: COVID-19 Status Update Tuesday, 31st March 2020
- COVID-19: Niger Assembly on 2 weeks recess
- COVID-19: Not all hand sanitisers can kill virus — Pharmacist
- COVID-19: Kosofe Council commences fumigation of areas
- Organisers postpone Nigeria Horse Week indefinitely
- COVID-19 lockdown: Prices of perishables crash in Jigawa
- COVID-19 Law: Parasitologist advises states to emulate LASG
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: UN Nigeria Announces COVID-19 Emergency Response for Displaced and Most Vulnerable in North-east Nigeria
- COVID-19: Barkin-Ladi LG boss applauds President Buhari for palliatives for IDPs
- ASUU joins campaign against coronavirus, distributes sanitisers
- No reported cases of Ebola in DRC in 5 weeks – WHO
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Minister Senzo Mchunu urges public servants to enrol for online senior management programme during Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown
- COVID-19: Coalition wants FG to make mask wearing compulsory
- Thailand to give free mobile data for those homebound by coronavirus
- COVID-19: Further palliatives will be developed–Osinbajo
- COVID-19: Taxi drivers in Calabar defy govt’s order
- Coronavirus – Africa: “We’re racing to slow the spread of COVID-19”
- Huawei says sales jumped 19.1 per cent in 2019 in spite of U.S. sanctions
- FG refutes reports on 26 Americans arrived Lagos Airport without screening.
- COVID-19: Registrar counsels medical laboratory scientists on protective equipment
- Indonesia bans entry of foreigners to curb Covid-19 spread
- ‘Yoga with Modi’: Indian leader’s fix to relieve lockdown stress
- COVID-19 Lockdown: Give to the needy, Okowa’s aide urges politicians
- COVID-19: Medical Laboratory Council backs FG’s plan to expand network for testing
- ESPN and Netflix Set New April 19 Premiere Date for Highly Anticipated Documentary Series “The Last Dance”
- Eurozone inflation slumps to 0.7% amid coronavirus outbreak
- Ex-Oyo attorney-general faults Soyinka, others on lockdown in FCT, states
- 150 lawyers trained on mediation advocacy skills – Expert
- Russia moves to imprison quarantine violators for up to 7 years
- Lockdown: RATTAWU calls for security of media workers
- China: Only 48 new coronavirus cases, signs industry is recovering
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: 135 Cases and 2 Deaths from COVID-19 Confirmed in Nigeria
- COVID-19 : Business owners in Iyana Ipaja comply with lockdown order
- Namibia continues to strengthen its emergency preparedness and response
- Kaigama urges support for new Archbishop of Jos to succeed
- NOA in Gombe State intensifies awareness campaign against COVID-19
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Notification Note on COVID-19 Situational Update
- COVID -19: Group distributes protective materials to Kaduna community
- Police arrest 2 suspects, recover 6 guns in Niger
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 Case Update
- Europeans launch long-awaited Iran barter mechanism in COVID-19 crisis
- AU Youth Envoy Launches Youth-Led Accountability Initiative
- Africa CDC Joins Forces with Co-Creation Hub to Use Smart Ways to Educate and Sensitize the Continent on COVID-19
- Lockdown: don’t store petroleum products, Ogun DPR tells residents
- UN health chief
- COVID-19 and the nature trade-off paradigm
- NEMA distributes relief materials to victims of armed banditry in Niger
- COVID-19: Lawmaker sets up fund, donates salaries to constituents
- “We need to have a common vision and ideology to advocate for the rights of all women and girls with one voice”
- Covid-19: Foundation distributes food items to vulnerable people in Kaduna
- Indonesia president announces $25 billion spending to fight coronavirus
- Coronavirus – Zimbabwe: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: 30 March 2020
- Europeans send medical supplies to Iran, circumventing sanctions
- FCT Ministerial monitoring team takes COVID-19 sensitisation campaign to Kuje
- CSO seeks comprehensive data on COVID-19 donations, expenditure
- Taiwan warns annual tomb-sweeping ritual could hasten spread of virus
- COVID-19: Gov. Wike imposes dusk to dawn curfew
- COVID-19: Kaduna govt. says 2 new cases are contacts of index case
- Lockdown: EKEDC assures customers steady power supply
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Member of the Executive Council (MEC) Albert Fritz on honouring Essential Services Employees working during Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown
- NGO lauds Kaduna Govt. for evacuation of 5,000 Almajiris
- Coronavirus – Ivory Coast: Coronavirus preparations in full swing
- AIG zone 5 presents N23.3m to beneficiaries of Police insurance scheme
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: Message to all refugees in Ethiopia on COVID-19
- COVID-19 – Africa: Looming crisis in developing countries threatens to devastate economies and ramp up inequality
- COVID-19: Minister, Alao-Akala wish Makinde quick recovery
- Coronavirus – Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases
- Coronavirus – South Sudan: South Sudan scales up Nation-Wide Coronavirus Awareness Raising Campaign as Neighbouring Countries confirm cases
- COVID-19: Body of Perm Secs donates toiletries to Nigerians
- Africa Oil & Power pledges support to Energy Industry, offers Free Communications Services
- Coronavirus – Kenya: Don’t mislead Kenyans on Coronavirus Health Cabinet Secretary (CS) warns leaders
- COVID-19: Association orders closure of mining sites
- Emir tasks committee for effective campaign against COVID-19
- WHO urges Asia-Pacific to brace up for long-term battle against Covid-19
- COVID 19: Ondo govt explains directive for total markets’ closure
- Coronavirus – South Africa: Premier Alan Winde provides update on Western Cape Coronavirus COVID-19 lockdown