A 24-year-old suspected cultist, Lucky Bassey, was on Wednesday brought before a Yaba Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly assaulting a carpenter with a broken bottle and stealing N300,000 from him.
Bassey, who had been perching in front of the carpenter’s workshop before committing the offences, is facing a four-count charge.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to: conspiracy, belonging to an unlawful society, assault occasioning harm and stealing.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Oriabure, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on Aug.23, at about 5.30 a.m., at St. Finbarr’s College Road in Bariga area of Lagos State.
The prosecutor said that the complainant, Mr Abiodun Ibiyemi, had confronted the defendant who had been sleeping in front of his workshop for weeks.
Ibiyemi also said that the complainant had alleged that the defendant had turned the same place to a meeting place for his “Eiye” confraternity.
The prosecutor said that the complainant accused the defendant of destroying his workshop.
The prosecutor said that the defendant then used a broken bottle to stab the complainant on his head and stole N300,000 from his pocket.
He said that the offences contravened Sections 411, 42 (a), 173 and 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.(Revised)
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Sections 42 (a), 173 and 287 stipulate a three-year jail term each for belonging to an unlawful society, assault occasioning harm and stealing.
It added that Section 411 carries a two-year imprisonment for the offence of conspiracy.
The magistrate, Mrs S.O. Obasa, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000 with one surety in like sum.
Obasa said that the surety must be gainfully employed, be a resident within the court’s jurisdiction and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government (LASG).
She adjourned the case until Oct. 10 for mention.
Edited by Remi Koleoso/Peter Dada
- Four-goal Shakhtar Donetsk set up Europa League semi-final against Inter Milan
- Bauchi Govt. partners UNESCO on mobile learning for school children
- Sevilla reach Europa League semi-finals as Wolves pay for penalty kick miss
- Zamfara security c’tee denies resignation of members
- Police arrest 3 for allegedly robbing fishermen of N1.6m in Lagos
- New Zealand city of Auckland prepares for lockdown as mystery COVID cases emerge
- IPAC wants INEC to adjust timetable for Ondo, Edo polls
- Gov. Wike dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street Trading, Motor Parks
- Akeredolu admonishes governors to support community policing
- Joe Biden picks Kamala Harris for vice-presidential running mate