A Tinubu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos State on Thursday granted N500,000 bail to a 32-year-old man, Ogbonna Iteh, who allegedly possessed fake 200 dollars and defrauded a woman of N9,000.
The Magistrate, Mr T.A. Anjorin-Ajose, also ordered the defendant to produce two sureties as a condition for the bail.
He said that one of the sureties must be a blood relation of the defendant and the other, a civil servant.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the offences.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Ajaga Agboko, told the court that the defendant and one other person at large conspired to defraud one Mrs Faith Samuel of N9000.
He said that Iteh committed the offences on Nov. 13, at 8:00a.m., at Abijo Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos State.
Agboko said that the defendant also had in his possession fake 200 dollars.
“Iteh’s accomplice (who drove their vehicle), gave a ride to Samuel, who was taking her children to school.
“In the vehicle, Iteh said that he just returned from abroad and God sent him to help the complainant; he gave her 200 dollars and told her to bring any amount she has in naira.
“Samuel told them she had only N9,000 in her account; the duo told her to go and withdraw it; they followed her to a bank; she withdrew the money and gave it to them.
“The duo left; the complainant went into the bank to change the 200 dollars but was told that it was fake.
“Samuel traced them back to where they picked her and saw only the defendant where he was trying to defraud another woman, she raised an alarm and he was caught,” the prosecutor alleged.
He said that the offences contravened Sections 314, 329 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
Anjorin-Ajose adjourned the case until Dec. 5 for substantive hearing.
Edited by Ijeoma Popoola (NAN)
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges
- Lawyers call for abrogation of laws granting ex-governors pension
- Erosion prevention: Stakeholders seek national soil policy
- NIMASA’ll collaborate with other agencies to drive the transport sector – Peterside
- Train: Commuters laud FG’s investment, urge sustenance
- Port Harcourt varsity ASUU wants closed secretariat reopened
- 124 bag first class as OAU graduates 7,209
- 14 killed in rebel attack in Congo
- Shell pledges to implement NOSDRA’s directive on N2.74 remediation of spill site
- 8 die and 80,000 displace in Uganda flooding and landslides
- Gov. Buni swears-in 20 commissioners, special advisers
- Nigeria records slight reduction in corruption prevalence in 2019′ — NBS
- NIMASA boss advises transport institute on transformation of sector
- FG committed to establishment of ECOWAS Central Bank–Finance minister
- El-Rufai urges patronage of army’s defence hardware
- Traffic law enforcement: LASTMA set to track violators with mobile device
- Rape : 6 Lagelu Grammar School students denied bail
- NCCE boss, varsity VC bag 2019 campus safety leadership impact award
- $2.2trn global economy lost to illicit trade –Analyst
- NCWD donates 100 laptops to deaf women, female artisans