Two soldiers and a 2-year-old girl were killed in an attack by suspected Islamist militants in the southern Philippines as the country marked the feast of Eid al-Adha, the military said on Tuesday.
The soldiers were travelling on a motorcycle along a busy road in Talipao town in Sulu province, 1,000 kilometres south of Manila, on Monday when suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group opened fire at them.
The troopers were killed in the ambush, while two girls – a 2-year-old and an 11-year-old – were wounded, said Major General Corleto Vinluan Jr, commander of a provincial anti-terrorism task force.
He added that the 2-year-old died while being treated in hospital, while the 11-year-old was still in critical condition.
“We deeply condemn this very deceitful act of the Abu Sayyaf, who do not in any way represent the Islamic way of living,” said Lieutenant General Cirilito Sobejana, a regional military commander.
“We would like to extend our sympathy to the bereaved families of the victims of by Sayyaf’s inhumane act,
“Rest assured that all sorts of assistance will be provided as our simple way of commiseration,” he added.
Abu Sayyaf is the most violent Muslim group in the Philippines.
(Edited by Emmanuel Yashim)
- U.S. firms dominate global sales of military equipment, services – Report
- Wild weather in New Zealand leaves 1,000 tourists stranded
- Saudi Arabia pledges more humanitarian support to Nigeria
- APC wins all 16 Chairmanship seats in Ekiti council poll
- Wike approves enrolment of more pensioners on payroll
- AFN: Shehu-Gusau vows to unravel corrupt practices
- Yoruba leaders want govt. to tackle unemployment
- Ekiti poll: Fayemi tasks police on killing
- Kwara lawmaker commends Lai Mohammed for uniting Igbomina people
- NPFL: Abia’s haul gives Sunshine maximum three points
- Osun United FC 0-3 loss to 3SC, a lesson- Omokaro
- Ibadan chief seeks investment in sports, donates $3,000 to 3SC
- Ganduje restates commitment to human rights protection
- Lack of labour-saving technology affecting women farmers’ health –SWOFON
- Nigeria qualifies for 2020 World Ultra Runners Championship
- CAF Cup: Enyimba defeats FC San Pedro, Morocco 1-0 to move to second position in Group B
- Get something doing, don’t be fulll time housewives, NGO tells women
- IPPIS: ASUU South East insists it will erode university autonomy
- Babcock varsity cardiac centre performs 300 open heart surgeries — VC
- NiMet predicts hazy, thundery weather conditions on Monday
- Air traffic engineers wants FG to invest more on cyber security
- Lagos Assembly will not repeal ex-govs’ pension law — Spokesperson
- PDP sweeps Adamawa LG election
- Empowering women means mobilising society for economic dev’t, says IHVN official
- Allow judiciary to operate freely, Archbishop Martins urges President Buhari
- Anglican communion bans brochure, `asoebi’ uniform during burials
- Nasarawa Govt. spends over N240m monthly to subsidise health services at specialist hospital- CMD
- ASUU in South East rejects IPPIS, says it will erode university autonomy
- Buhari pays tribute to Sarkin Malamai Gombe, Wabili
- Dabiri-Erewa hails Anthony Joshua’s boxing victory
- Bayelsa guber: Accept defeat, stop heating up polity, APC advises Gov. Dickson
- Thanksgiving: Cleric urges politicians to shun greed
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna
- Jos consumers urge Plateau Govt. to check re-bagging of local rice
- Association urges SSCOE management to address viral hate speech by lecturer
- Akeredolu appoints three new aides
- Illegal operation: Lagos Govt. seals 24 pharmacies, patent medicine stores
- Association appeals to Enugu govt. for regular payment of pension, gratuity of teachers
- 2020 budget: Reps minority caucus promises to monitor implementation
- Cassava production: Scientists meet in Tanzania to review progress
- Don calls for service to Allah, as OAU MSSN inaugurates new executives
- FGGC Yola old girls pass vote of confidence on Saromi
- NAF partners US DOD to enhance medical, casualty evacuation capabilities
- 19-year-old Yahoo boy sets girlfriend ablaze over lover
- Foundation distributes 400 footwears to vulnerable children in Kaduna.
- Presidency dismisses insinuations over Sowore’s arrest, says Nigerians deserve peace
- Lagos Govt to launch App on annual cultural events
- Osinbajo to speak at UAE peace forum
- Adamawa APC rejects LG election results
- Restriction of Journalists covering Imo assembly activities, a dangerous precedent—Union