Suspected armed robbers on Friday attacked a new generation bank in Yenagoa, Bayelsa capital, killing a customer, Mr Emmanuel Omomo, and taking away cash he withdrew from the bank.
Police spokesman in Bayelsa, SP Asinim Butswat who confirmed the killing, said the incident occurred at about 10 a.m. inside the premises of the new generation bank.
“The customer was accosted by unknown gunmen after he withdrew money from the bank.
“The armed robbers who came in a black Toyota Camry car accosted the customer, one Emmanuel Omomo, when he came out of the bank after making the withdrawals.
They shot him, collected all the money in his possession and zoomed off.
“The victim was immediately rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yenagoa, where he was confirmed dead. Investigation is ongoing.” he said
Butswat said the Police Command in the state had launched a manhunt for the unknown gunmen.
An eye witness, who preferred anonymity, said the middle-aged man was leaving the bank with a bag suspected to be containing some amount of money when the masked gunmen accosted him.
He told the News Agency of Nigeria that the suspected robbers who were dressed in black atire alighted from a Toyota Camry car and shot sporadically.
He said the victim who had already entered a waiting tricycle, on sighting the gunmen, ran inside the nearby bush, but the gunmen shot him and made away with the money.
“Although, the armed security attached to the bank and nearby banks responded with scary shots, they could not hit the target due to the huge crowd at the bank premise,” he said.
Edited By: Angela Okisor/Ejike Obeta (NAN)
- Kaduna Govt. partners CSOs to increase funding for nutrition
- S/kaduna Killings: STF arrests 8 suspects
- I ‘ll continue to address flooding in Anegbette, says Gov Obaseki
- NIPOST refutes claims of operating illegal stamp duty account
- China-developed airborne sounding system helps study typhoon
- Edo 2020:Gov. Obaseki describes destruction of his commissioner’s house as barbaric
- Gov. El Rufai appoints board members, others for agencies
- We`ll follow Dogara to APC, says youth group
- Shippers’ Council tasks ship owners on unity
- Unilorin wins $80,000 grant for research into Disability Rights in Nigeria