The 16 suspended local government chairmen in Kwara said they willingly withdrew their legal suit challenging their suspension by the state government.
They made this known in Ilorin on Friday through a statement jointly signed by Mr Joshua Omokanye and Malam Abubakar Abdullahi Bata, ALGON Chairman and Secretary, respectively.
“We, the Local Government Council Chairmen in Kwara State dissociate ourselves from the statement that emanated from the Office of the State Chairman of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that we were pressurized to sign off our legal case with Kwara State Government.
“We state categorically that we were not forced and not under any parochial sentiment to step down the legal suit against the state governor and others,” the statement said.
According to the statement, the suspended local government chairmen withdrew the case willingly to enable them clear their names by honouring the invitation of the Kwara State House of Assembly.
“It must also be noted that Kwara State House of Assembly is the arm of government that has the constitutional responsibility to invite Local Government Council Chairmen for questioning.
“We cannot afford to decline the invitation because it is not advisable to throw away the baby with the bath water, ” the statement said.
The chairmen said the action was taken on their own volition to find solution to the suspension impasse and for the overall benefit of the people of the state.
“It is also important to state without mincing words that our case is premised on opportunity offer to clear our names which will subsequently promote speedy socio-economic progress of the state.
“It will be good for anyone to desist from linking the development with betrayal of political leader because no one influences our decision to use legal means in the first instance,” the statement said.
“There were opportunities created by the state legislative arm during the impasse and a resolution was reached for the good of the state,” it said.
- Nigerians seek tougher actions against corruption
- Gov. Matawalle reassures Zamfara citizens of his commitment to security
- Kogi: FCT minister drums support for Bello
- Super Eagles ‘ll grow into AFCON qualifiers, says Akanni
- Obaseki has failed Edo people, says PDP
- Makinde appoints Ex-Rep. Ogunwuyi DG, Investments, PPP Agency
- ZMSG to resuscitate 5 abandoned ginneries—-Gov. Matawalle
- PDP rejects hate speech bill
- Businessman arraigned over alleged importation of 13 containers of substandard cables
- International GIS Day: Expert calls for GIS inculcation in STEM study
- FG, Harvestplus, task Nigerians on making nutrition daily business
- Gov. Bello of Niger appoints SUBEB chairman, members
- Gov. Akeredu dissolves Task Force on Farmers Registration
- Israel, Germany to set up aging research centre
- Gov. Akeredolu appoints Atere as SSA on women affairs
- Retired Police Officers want 13 months pension released, special gratuity at 300% increase
- Gov. Bello appoints Abubakar as new MD of NIGROMA
- Reps. urge JAMB to extend compulsory use of NIN till 2021
- FEC ratifies bill for domestication of international convention against doping
- Reps. C’ttee frowns as NCS fails to appear on allegations of extra judicial killings