Four state chapters of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) in the South-West have dissociated themselves from the purported Oct. 7 elections scheduled to hold in Port Harcourt and Abuja.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that South-West SWAN’s action is in line with a directive by the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ).
In a joint statement signed by Chairmen of Lagos, Ogun, Oyo and Ekiti on Thursday, the states said the decision was reached after robust deliberations with their Executive Committees and chapter Members.
According to the Chairmen, their decision stems from the Sept. 24 directive by the leadership of the NUJ), which indefinitely suspended the upcoming national elections due to internal rancour amongst members over the electoral process.
“As professionals with total regard for constituted authorities and rule of law governing journalism, we will not be participating in any election not recognised by NUJ,” Lagos SWAN Chairman, Debo Oshundun said.
Hakeem Akintunde of Ogun said: “We have been directed by the leadership of NUJ to stay away from any elections, so we don’t have any intention of going to Abuja or Port Harcourt for either of the elections.”
For Niyi Alebiosu of Oyo State, the South West have nothing against individuals but against the electoral processes.
“For the sake of peace and future of our noble association, staying away from all electoral matters until issues are resolved is the best route to follow.”
The South West Chairmen therefore warned the Africa Zone of the Association of International Sports Press (AIPS) from interfering in the local affairs of SWAN which falls under the jurisdiction of NUJ.
“According to Article 7(a) of the SWAN Statutes which focuses on membership, without being a member of NUJ and not AIPS, full membership of SWAN is not possible based on Article 7 (h)(iii).
“We find it unacceptable and an act of double standard that the same National Leadership of SWAN which consulted the NUJ whenever it suited it is now claiming to be independent of the union when it is not favourably disposed to the directives of the NUJ.”(NAN)
(Edited by Olawale Alabi)
- Waste managers pledge to upgrade disposal trucks for better service
- Police nab man for allegedly killing neighbour with Dane gun in Niger
- Pope to give ‘strictly private’ audience to embattled Maltese premier
- Samoa’s measles death toll rises to 65 amid state of emergency
- Von der Leyen calls for ‘unity’ between Europe, AU
- Tree planting, panacea to climate change problems- Environmentalist
- Eddie Ugbomah, Joke Silva, others honoured with Movie Rock of Fame Award
- Firefighters battle more than 100 blazes across Australian state
- AOC tasks personnel on physical fitness to tackle security challenges
- Kenya gov’t confirms ambush that killed 8 was terrorist attack
- 2019 ZUMA Film Festival closes with grand awards gala
- $900,000 Grant: Niger Govt. to sensitise communities on urban policy
- Jigawa, Chinese Hunan province sign agreement on agriculture
- Missing cash: 4 quizzed NSCDC back to post at Bayelsa govt. house
- U.S. Supreme Court blocks plans to bring back federal death penalty
- MURIC hails Buhari for nomination of new NAHCON boss
- Immigration boss inaugurates new quarter guard
- Insecurity: Niger Govt. donates vehicles, motorcycles to Army
- Osinbajo harps on culture, tourism in new world order
- Customs boss seeks separate budget for staff college
- ICT bedrock of any sub specialty, says Kebbi first lady
- NIDCOM condemns attack on Amaechi in Spain
- Kubwa Traffic: FCTA task team to close Gwarinpa U-turn
- Ahead of institute’s convocation, alumni call for improved attention to tourism
- Gov. Sule sets up committee on implementation of minimum wage
- Onu advocates inclusion of innovation in educational curriculum
- Tunisia foils illegal immigration attempt
- FG reaffirms commitment to establishing National Policy on Nanotechnology
- FCCPC to enforce passenger insurance on fleet operators
- Gov. Obaseki signs N179.2bn Appropriation Bill for Edo
- Nigerian Customs not afraid to take bold decisions
- TETFund retrieves N10bn from non-performing institutions
- Budget: We’re poised to exercise our constitutional mandate–Zamfara Speaker
- Police deploy new CP to Adamawa for LG Election
- Buratai tasks officers on improvement on current successes
- Agency begins taxpayer engagement to enhance revenue collection – Chairman
- Boko Haram abducts 18 in Cameroon’s Far North region
- Emir seeks abolition of GRA in llorin
- Apapa 72 hours road closure: FG seeks understanding for construction works
- EFCC nabs 4 suspects over alleged fraudulent business in Sokoto, Kebbi states
- Gov. Sule, Al-Makura deny friction over alleged inherited debts
- 40 youths receive N7.5m grant from IITA, AfricaRice project
- Zambia says plans to re-launch national airline active
- NSE moves 197.04m shares worth N3.53bn in bearish trading
- Yuletide: FRSC warns drivers against overloading, speeding in Sokoto
- Kwara Customs Command takes anti-smuggling campaign to border communities
- FCT minister lauds sharia court for being responsive
- AOT Lagos 1.0: Tech entrepreneurs advise startups on business sustainability
- Mental wellbeing is an inalienable right of every Nigerian – NGO
- NAF trains 3,629 personnel to meet Nigeria’s dynamic security challenges