Tackling challenges of sexual assault of minors
By Femi Ogunshola, Nigeria News Agency
Almost on daily basis, we read about rape and sexual harassment of minors even by those old enough to be their grandparents.
Psychologists blame this bizarre attitude on unbridled lust and insatiable urge for sex
However, defilement of underage is outlawed by Section 218 of the Criminal Code, Cap. 42, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.
The section provides inter alia: “Any person who has unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of 13 years is guilty of felony, and is liable to imprisonment for life, with or without whipping.
“A prosecution for either of the offences defined above in this section must begin within two months after the offence is committed.
“A person cannot be convicted of either of the offences defined in this section upon uncorroborated testimony of one witness.”
Adegboyega Adenekan, a 47-year-old ex-Chrisland School Supervisor, who defiled a 2-year-old pupil in 2016, was recently sentenced to 60 years jail term by an Ikeja Domestic Violence and Sexual Offences Court.
Justice Sybil Nwaka handed down the sentence after convicting Adenekan on a count charge of defiling a minor.
The little child had given a detailed description of how Adenekan defiled her.
According to Titilayo Shitta-Bey, the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecution, the defendant committed the crime in November 2016.
While narrating the nasty experience, the police officer told the court that “the child took us upstairs to the defendant’s office and his seat and the restroom where the offence was committed
According to the 2-year-old girl in a video clip of the interview with the police and shown to the court, the little girl said that the supervisor put his “wee wee” in her “wee wee” two times.
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, Jigawa Command, also in March arrested a 65-year-old Adamu Abdullahi, for allegedly raping and impregnating a minor at Unguwar Gawo village, Babura Local Government Area.
The victim, a street hawker, who deals on onions, explained that the suspect used to buy onions from her and in the process invited her into his house, where he raped her.
She said that Abdullahi raped her five times and always threatens her life should she tell anybody about their affairs.
“He used to give me money and threatened to kill me if I refuse; or if ever I informed anybody,” she stated.
Mr Adeola Opeyemi, a human rights activist and lawyer, who shared experiences gathered at an Ogba Magistrates’ Court, Lagos State, lamented the increasing cases of rape and sexual assault against minors.
According to Opeyemi, I saw many rape cases of underage, between 12 years and13 years old, with neighbour’s son or landlord’s son, as the case maybe.
The lawyer said that there must be reason behind the rape of these little girls, when the perpetrators could easily satisfy their sexual urge with N1000 at any brothel.
He stated that a campaign against rape of underage must be launched immediately to put a stop to such ignominious act capable of causing a devastating psychological effect on the victims.
Opeyemi noted that the campaign must be now, noting that any delay could further embolden the rapists to keep perpetrating their nefarious activities, adding however that “we must not wait until it affects us.”
The operatives of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) in Abuja, also arrested two suspects for allegedly raping and impregnating four schoolgirls.
The suspects were one 41-year-old Festus Femi, an installation engineer and 51-year-old Luka Ekundayo, Bursar of Government Secondary School, Dangara, Abaji, Abuja.
Femi was said to have raped three students of Government Secondary School, while Ekundayo was alleged to have drugged, raped and impregnated a 15-year-old student.
Ekundayo, was the victim’s guardian in school, and she often spent short holidays in his house.
She was ill, while Ekundayo gave her some drugs to take, after taking the drugs she slept.
On waking up, she saw bloodstains and felt uneasy, but did not suspect that Ekundayo, whom her grandmother handed her over to, for protection, could do anything sinister.
The victim who was on scholarship was said to have been threatened by the suspect into having sex with him continuously or he would be force to tell her sponsors to stop paying her school fees.
Mrs Cynthia Jude, a psychologist, blamed the rising cases to the reluctance of the victims to report the case to the appropriate authorities.
She said that the perpetrators cannot be punished to serve as deterrent to others, if the victims fail to report.
Jude said that most victims of rape suffer in silence because of fears of being stigmatised, adding that reporting rape can be emotional and difficult.
This according to her has left many victims to lick their wounds in silence, noting that the Nigeria structure do not encourage reporting rape cases.
She, however, advised victims to think less of stigmatisation and be bold enough to report rape cases.
Jude called for stiffer punishment for those who specialised in raping minors, adding that harsh provisions would dissuade perpetrators from committing the dastardly crime.
The psychologist also appealed to the government to create an enabling environment, where sexual assault victims can get access to forensic medical assistance and professional counselling services. (NANFeatures)
**If used, please credit the writer as well as Nigeria News Agency .
- Providing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for Gambian Shipwreck Survivors
- Eight men put to death in mass execution
- Young Blitzboks know all about patience and determination
- Towards advancing green business and circular economy in Africa
- Championing the Fight Against Infertility Stigmatization, the Melody Voice of Pres. Weah (By Hawa Dolley)
- A World Rugby Training in Mauritian schools
- Insurgency: Senate seeks re-establishment of military base in Sambisa borders
- UNGA president tasks member countries, stakeholders to focus attention on human rights issues
- Coronavirus outbreak spreads to Italy’s south; EU to discuss response
- No justice as journalist Kabendera slapped with heavy fines after months in jail
- Nigerian graduates need more than book knowledge for gainful employment- Expert
- U.S. diplomat criticises EU’s stance towards rule of law in Poland
- SMW 2020: Use African visuals to project brands in Nigeria – Panel
- Mauritius launches its 2020 season with the QUIKRIP
- Next Einstein Forum Unveils Top 25 Innovators to Compete At Its Global Gathering
- 3 more die of Covid-19 in Iran, 95 test positive; 4 new cases in Iraq
- Social Media Week: Good sleep enhances productivity, life span
- Spanish opera star Placido Domingo apologizes to women after harassment claims – report
- FAO donates agriculture livelihood to 1,000 Cameroonian refugees
- NCF leads winter bird census at Hadejia-Nguru wetlands
- Prophet in court for allegedly sodomising teenage boys
- Turkey’s Erdogan says no agreement yet on 4-way Syria summit
- Agent in court over alleged N2m land fraud in Ogun
- We are committed to speaking for voiceless Nigerians–NUJ
- Institute produces 150 donkeys from 2010 to 2019-Director
- South Korea to launch mass coronavirus testing, U.S. pledges $1bn for vaccine
- Mahatir’s resignation: Malaysia’s opposition claims majority in parliament
- African Union Executive Council endorses African Development Bank President Adesina for second term
- Applicant, clergy in court for allegedly threatening to kill trader
- President Beach Volleyball Cup: NVBF assures of grooming discovered talents
- When Operation AWATSE destroys pipeline vandals’ 200 illegal structures and shrine
- CBN, RIFAN task rice farmers in C’ River on loan repayment
- Melania Trump attends happiness class at Delhi school
- Bayelsa governorship tribunal: PDP withdraws petition against INEC, APC
- Don attributes UNN-SUG free, fair election to biometric voting
- UNIBEN Senate elects 3 new Deputy Vice Chancellors
- Customs FOU Zone “B” intercepts 400 bags of smuggled rice concealed under water melons
- Funding of Rugby drives Ghana Stakeholder Congress
- Federal lawmaker gives scholarship to 44 students
- Italy hosts summit with neighbouring countries on coronavirus crisis
- Ikeja Electric to refund customers for prepaid meters procured under MAP scheme
- London court holds hearing on Julian Assange’s extradition
- Hypertension, diabetes, risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease-Expert
- Alleged bribery: 2 bank staff testify in Sen. Shehu Sani’s trial
- 7 killed, 160 injured in violence over India’s controversial law
- Sweden demands release of Hong Kong bookseller
- Absence of judge stalls report of settlement in N100m suit
- Flash: Kaduna Assembly Speaker resigns
- Gov. Mohammed appoints GM for Bauchi State Agricultural Supply Coy
- Africa’s energy transition gains traction as Siemens Gamesa introduces renewable energy in Djibouti
- 112-year-old Japanese man, world’s oldest living male, dies
- Paracetamol: Health experts raise alarm over food enhancers as NAFDAC beams searchlight on restaurant operators in Northeast
- Novartis and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) to collaborate on the development of a new oral drug to treat Visceral Leishmaniasis
- On the grants for studies in Belarus in the academic year 2021/2022
- Insecurity: BMO urges military to maintain winning streak
- Subscribers want FG, NLC to stop developer from selling civil servants land in Apo-Tafyi
- Liverpool fight back against West Ham to continue winning streak
- Kano Govt to buy N98m kits for 1,792 football clubs
- Anonymous donor offers N400,000 lifeline to 4 blind students in Kebbi
- ‘Amotekun’ will attract more investors, improve Nigeria’s economy, says Gani Adams
- Zamfara: Tsafe LG chairman, others dump APC for PDP
- Gov. Matawalle appoints fmr DIG as security adviser
- Late NSCDC officer’s colleagues mourn, eulogise her
- Foundation offers free medical treatment to 2, 000 patients in Bauchi
- FG begins implementation of N46.83bn agric scheme in Niger Delta – Minister
- Include Miyetti Allah members in Amotekun Corps – Bello
- Insecurity: NUJ president advocates constitutional role for monarchs
- Association of GenCos raises concern on electricity tariff review
- Nigerian in diaspora advocates effective data management
- UBEC partners UNICEF to address education challenges
- 30 injured as car crashes into German Carnival parade
- NiMet predicts dust, cloudy conditions for Tuesday
- Insurgency: Gov. Zulum commends Nigerians for special prayer for peace
- FG lauds SMEDAN MSMEs online registration programme
- Public Hearing: PDP, Agbekoya, others drum support for Amotekun in Lagos
- United Nations Calls for Nominations for Nelson Mandela Prize
- Insecurity: Defence college alumni backs community policing
- “Amotekun” Corps comes with positive result- Lagos Assembly Speaker
- Kaduna govt. rolls out scholarship package for students with disabilities
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) welcomes $10 million donation from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to fight Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa
- Sanusi vs Kano Anti-graft agency: We still have suitable options – Chairman
- FG to introduce incentives to boost capital market investment — Finance Minister
- Aisha Buhari calls for harmony, re-examining of security structure to stem terrorism in Nigeria
- NDA convenes international conference on security
- Dangote boosts south East economy with N63billion investment in Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company (ANAMMCO)
- Updated; Rice production in Kano increases to 3m tonnes – Gov. Ganduje
- Sanitation: Mobile Court begins prosecution of environmental offenders
- France pledges $100m for WHO Academy
- Mambilla Power Project till now existed only on papers – Rep
- Miyetti Allah seeks members’ inclusion in Operation Amotekun
- Nasarawa Assembly advises doctors, other health workers against sharp practices
- NIS receives Gambian Immigration for mentoring
- Dutch Railway Company pays €32m to Holocaust victims
- Army urges residents not to panic as it commences shoot practice
- Lagos taskforce debunks online report on seized vehicles
- 5 dead, over 200 infected as coronavirus panic grips Italy
- BMO says NIRSAL’s 4m jobs big push for job creation, poverty alleviation
- Saudi, Egypt, Bahrain to resume Qatar post services despite dispute
- ‘Pioneering’ NASA mathematician, Katherine Johnson dies aged 101
- NGO sensitises Police, NDLEA, NSCDC, others against extra judicial killings
- Ekiti Govt. promotes 4,000 primary school teachers
- NAFDAC plans to go on pigin English on Radio, TV over illegal activities
- Artisanal miners attack Gemfields’ Mozambique ruby unit, injuring 4
- Court remands teenager over alleged theft of N340,000 from bank
- Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein found guilty of sex crimes
- We ‘ll ensure Operation Amotekun is not politicised – Ogun govt.
- Scientists, researchers to meet in Uganda over global health challenges
- Kwara NULGE crisis: Govt inaugurates 12-man committee
- I-G orders FCID to take over investigation into Kazeem’s death
- Panel recommends sanctions against police officers involved in brutality
- Ban: Tricycle dealers lament low patronage
- Togo president declares landslide election win, opponent slams ‘masquerade’
- Corrected: GAIM4: Fidelity Bank supports financial inclusion drive with N68md
- Romanian court scuppers vote of confidence in prime minister
- Eastern Libyan lawmakers refuse to join Geneva peace talks for now
- Alleged fraud: Nigerian Army, Gen. Otiki lays claim to forfeited N136m
- Businessman bags 10-year jail term over N30m fraud
- Car drives into German carnival parade, more than 30 reported injured
- Lesotho prime minister appears in court, but not charged
- Coronavirus outbreak not up to level of global pandemic
- Man bags 2 months in correctional centre for beating another with stick
- Donald and Melania Trump visit Taj Mahal, India’s monument to love
- Three bag 4 months community service over N1.5m aluminum pole theft
- Plane grounded in Mauritius
- English school children banned from heading ball amid brain disease fears
- Delta Education Commissioner advocates effective assessment for school development
- We need more funds to bridge digital literacy, says DBI President
- 2023: VON boss lauds El-Rufai over support for rotational presidency
- Number of expatriates drop in Nigeria’s oil and gas industries – Board
- Accident: Ogun TRACE warns cement companies against overloading trucks
- Gambia immigration officials visits Nigeria counterparts
- FG to include gender based violence, sexual health right in education curriculum
- Group urges parents to spearhead speaking of mother language
- Donald Trump, wife Melania visit Taj Mahal
- Panelists call for creative writing in social media content to attract users
- Assange would be suicide risk if extradited to U.S. – Lawyer
- Sell pressure: NSE market capitalisation opens week with N181bn loss
- Restore APC’s mandate in Zamfara, group urges Supreme Court
- Saving lives with solar power in Democratic Republic of Congo
- Gov. Umahi lauds Nigerian Army’s intervention in S/East
- 15 countries tighten travel restrictions on S. Korea as new coronavirus cases spike
- WHO partners Information Ministry on TB, NCDs eradication
- Pantami inaugurates committee on national digital economy policy
- Buhari meets security chiefs 24 hours after promising `hell’ for Boko Haram
- Gashash drags Army, DSS to court over ‘illegal arrest’
- SWM 2020: Experts urge adoption of digital technology to transform energy sector
- NSIA-LUTH treats 80 cancer patients daily– Finance Minister
- Reps threaten arrest of NDBDA mgt over failure to audit accounts
- Enugu govt. trains 120 women on agricultural food value chain – Official
- Former ECOWAS staff proffers solution to regional insecurity
- Edo Assembly lifts suspension on Akoko-Edo Vice Chairman
- Illegal refineries: Bayelsa communities seek end to pollution of Kolo Creek
- Aruna, Omotayo, Edem win first games at ITTF Africa Top 16 Cup
- Reviving cotton farming will strengthen economy, generate employment, lint exports — NABDA report
- SMW 2020: Agent banking an enabler of financial inclusion – Panelists
- Court orders full medical care for El-Zakzaky, wife
- A’Ibom monarch charges FG on development of oil communities
- Tokyo Games’ torch relay organisers take measures against coronavirus
- Raise the “total child”, Adekunle Gold tells parents
- Youth group backs move to secure Unijos land against encroachment
- Football Associations (FAs) in UK outlaw primary school children from heading in training
- Grass-cutter farming, money spinning business Nigerians can explore – Expert
- AMVCA 2020: In pure irony, the viewers’ choice does not count
- UNFPA Regional Director charges country offices on transformative agenda
- Electricity consumers oppose tariff increment by Ikeja Electric
- South China launches ultra-fast mask factory
- New American tennis sensation Gauff breaks into top 50 at age 15
- Alleged Unilag gang-rape: 5 undergraduates re-arraigned
- Chinese tourist attractions pledge to reinforce epidemic prevention measures
- NSE makes case for increased investment in gas to aid manufacturing
- LASG reiterates continuous training of artisans
- Why Nigerian farmers should cultivate Hass Avocado — Expert
- Security agencies beef up security in Ore ahead of President Buhari’s visit
- 23-year-old man docked for alleged possession of Indian hemp
- China’s pigs prices up by 2.6% in mid-February
- Kano plans law to stop indiscriminate felling of trees
- Synergy among security services very important in defeating terrorism – Olonisakin
- Gumel Emirate warns against illegal felling of trees
- Teenager docked for escaping from police custody
- China’s Central Bank voices confidence in fighting epidemic impact
- Buhari approves membership of National Humanitarian Coordination Committee
- WHO says no longer uses ‘pandemic’ category, but virus still emergency
- Man, 40 dies in Anambra hotel — Police
- Deceased NSCDC officer slumped in the police station 20 minutes after arriving – Witness
- Be wary of unlicensed real estate agents, govt warns Lagos residents
- Rape: 21-year sentence of Unilag ex-lecturer not stiff enough- FIDA
- Scientists, others to meet in Uganda April over global health challenges
- 2 tenants docked for alleged threat to kill landlord over rent
- Religious community strives to prevent further coronavirus infections
- NIMASA donates relief materials to 20, 000 displaced persons in Borno
- Former French premier Fillon’s trial postponed due to lawyers’ strike
- Over 22,000 people benefited from N1bn matching grant fund in Kebbi-MD, BoI
- Security: Delta Govt. donates 35 pick-up vans to police, others
- Iran nuclear parties to meet in effort to save deal
- WHO puts Africa’s readiness to tackle Coronavirus at 66%
- India, U.S. to sign defence deals worth more than $3bn – Trump
- 40 Italians refused entry in Mauritius to be flown back home
- Police in Ethiopia arrest 6 for suspected involvement in grenade attack
- How we rejuvenated Customs Volleyball team — Sports Secretary
- Gender-based violence: Group to train 40 women, girls on self-defence