The newly constituted Enugu State Taekwondo Association Board on Tuesday said it was taking a giant stride of introducing the sport to all the nook and cranny in the state.
The state taekwondo assistant coach, Franklin Ekwedike, told newsmen in Enugu, that the board was embarking on the project through schools competition at all levels.
He said that the board had commenced taekwondo kiddies programme, adding that the training held every weekend at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium.
Ekwedike said that the programme was aimed at catching-them-young and also taking the sport to schools.
According to Ekwedike, some schools now subject their pupils to taekwondo-based questions during external examinations.
“We are grooming athletes that will represent the state in future national competition.
“The kids are now being taught the martial arts skills for fighting in case of violence.
“It is also for their self-defence, discipline, perseverance and to choose the right part to life,” he said.
He said that the board was facing financial problems and would welcome individuals’ assistance.
“The board is financially not bouyant, so we solicit for equipment such as mat, first aid, training uniforms and protective gears to enhance the combat sport.”
- Healthcare delivery: Gov. Bagudu seeks better physicians, policy makers’ synergy
- Zamfara killings: Gov. Matawalle cancels planned trip to Germany
- 265 Enugu residents benefit from Nigerian Army medical outreach
- 2020 Olympics Qualifiers: D’Tigress lands in Pot 3
- Dubai urges African countries to rejig customs service
- Court to rule on Faisal Maina’s bail application Nov. 29
- 6 migrants found dead on Libyan shoreline, UN agency says
- Trump says ‘I want a trial,’ brushes off worries on impeachment
- Expert calls for establishment of specialised bank for healthcare industry
- 18 ships arrive Lagos ports, discharge petroleum products, food items
- NIPR inducts Delta Commissioner, 144 others as members in Asaba
- Court again adjourns arraignment of 57 for alleged Homosexuality
- Market liquidity: SEC engages PENCOM, AMCON on Securities Lending
- Appeal Court Judgment: Tambuwal dedicates victory to God
- College drags ex-student to court over alleged defamation
- Pope says technology, globalisation endanger youth individuality
- Army war college graduates 66 officers in course 3
- Entire world waiting on Africa for creative tourism – tourism development expert
- Reps C’ttee lauds Adebayo
- Anambra FRSC begins night patrol, arrests 15 trucks for alleged overloading
- Anambra: FRSC commences night patrol, arrests 15 trucks, buses for overloading, extra light
- Yuletide: Fashola tasks stakeholders, housing controllers on results
- Prompt response from Navy Fire Unit saves lives, properties
- FRSC tightens noose on corrupt personnel
- Kogi election: Coalition urges INEC to create more polling units
- Kebbi Govt. sets up health committee to humanitarian crisis
- Igboeze South LG spends N250m to construct 1.5km road, others
- Customers express concerns on implementation of e-bills by Ikeja Electric
- DMO puts Nigeria’s debt profile at N25.7 trn
- 34 Ijegun residents benefit free medical surgeries, 350 from eye screening
- Zidane defends Bale after flag criticism
- Insecurity: Ex-Police I-G Abubakar calls for synergy between security agencies
- Buhari receives NIPSS Report on Universal Healthcare, pledges action
- 2 protesters killed, 25 injured in Baghdad unrest
- Banky W announce return to music with new album in 2020
- Liverpool manager Klopp sweating on Salah fitness ahead of Palace trip
- Navy hands over smuggled rice, vegetable oil to customs
- Market closure: We lost over N500m, Kaduna traders cry out
- China reiterates commitment to cultural relations with Nigeria
- NPC begins 2019 VASA survey in Gombe, solicits stakeholders’ support
- Wellness expert advises Nigerians on healthy lifestyle to reduce stress
- Hong Kong mask ban temporarily returns as court reviews law
- 1072 persons benefits from Foundation’s free eye care in Edo
- 2 car dealers docked over alleged N800, 000 fraud
- Pope Francis urges Catholics to promote faith in Buddhist Thailand
- Polio immunisation: Kano targets over 3m children -Commissioner
- Man in court for allegedly stealing snail, bitter cola
- NGO trains 50 litreracy facilitators in Ebonyi
- Traditional ruler appeals to FG to accord priority to roads across Nigeria
- Agege council to build artistes’ village to engage talented youths