Taiwan braces for tropical storm Bailu
Taiwan’s Central Weather Bureau issued a land warning for Bailu at 2:30 pm (0630 GMT), nine hours after the issuing of a sea warning for both the Bashi Channel and the Taiwan Strait.
According to the bureau, the centre of Bailu, currently 600 kilometres south-east of Taitung, a south-eastern city, is moving at a pace of about 24 kilometres per hour in a north-west direction toward the
Hengchun Peninsula in southern Taiwan.
Bailu continues to grow and intensify and the centre is expected to make landfall in Taitung on Saturday, the bureau said.
On Friday, more than 2,000 tourists were evacuated from offshore Green Island and Orchid Island, which sit off Taitung.
Ferry services between Taiwan’s main island and some offshore islets will be suspended on Saturday, state-run Central News Agency reported. (dpa/NAN)
- South African Airways cancels almost all flights for Friday, Saturday
- 2 men in court over alleged unlawful possession of cartridges
- Nigerian Armed Forces shine at international sports
- 2 years since arrest, Cambodian journalists await spying verdict
- Exiled Cambodian opposition leader arrives Indonesia
- Italian police seize over a tonne of cocaine in banana container
- Kogi elections: Group urges politicians to eschew violence, hate speech
- 17 injured in blasts at south-eastern Turkey Ammunition depot
- Philippines deports 312 Chinese nationals for telecom fraud
- Indian court delays ruling on ban on women entering Hindu temple
- Health Training Initiative increases accreditation status, academic performance – Registrar
- Oil rises after OPEC’s Barkindo says U.S. shale growth may slow in 2020
- Gambari appeals to govt. to provide enabling environment for affordable housing
- Ugandan Nakalembe wins opening round at Nigeria Ladies Open Golf Championship
- Imo NDLEA confirms arrest of alleged notorious drug dealer
- Multiple accident claims 13 lives on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
- APC NWC upholds suspension of Edo party’s chairman
- I will be most excited person if I win 2021 AFCON for Nigeria, Rohr says
- Don tasks FG on production of West Africa Dwarf goat
- Medical doctors urged to draw line between profession ethics and business