Tanzanian President John Magufuli on Monday inaugurated newly installed state-of-the-art civilian radar for controlling air traffic in the commercial capital Dar es Salaam.
Magufuli, during the inauguration at Julius Nyerere International Airport said Tanzania’s airspace is now 100 per cent secure following the acquisition of four radars that will enhance safety and security of the country’s airspace.
“Initially the country had oneradar which had a surveillance capacity of 25 per cent leaving 75 per cent of the country’s airspace unsecured.’’
He said in an event broadcast live by the public broadcaster Tanzania Broadcasting Corporation that the new radar will enable the country to increase air traffic safety and security and also to generate revenues.
“The new radar will attract more aviation companies to use our airspace and therefore increase revenues.’’
Hamza Johari, the director general of the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority, said the installation of the radars in Dar es Salaam and Kilimanjaro airports have been completed while the installation of the one in Mwanza airport was at 90 per cent and the installation at Songwe airport was at 40 per cent.
Aviation expert Margaret Munyagi said the new radars will help Tanzania retain airlines currently using its airspace and attract new ones.
(Edited by Hadiza Mohammed/Emmanuel Yashim)