An Ikeja Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, on Thursday, remanded a an 18-year-old man, Sodiq Shehu, in Kirikiri Prisons over alleged unlawful possession of gun, cutlass and some other items.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs M.I. Dan-Oni remanded Shehu and ordered that the case file be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.
Shehu, whose address was not provided, is facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and unlawful possession.
His plea was, however, not taken.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp. Victor Eruada, told the court that the defendant committed the offences with some other persons still at large on Feb. 10 at 10:30 pm at Shibiri Bus-stop, Ajangbadi, Lagos.
Eruada said that the defendant was caught with one revolver pistol, one cutlass, 11 ATM cards and an LG cell phone.
“The defendant failed to give convincing reasons why he was in possession of the items,” he said.
According to the prosecutor, the offences contravened Sections 411 and 330 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The case was adjourned until April 21, for mention.
- New Zealand confirms no new case of COVID-19 for a week
- Germany’s COVID-19 cases rise by 741 to exceed 180,000 — RKI
- Live COVID-19 updates: Egypt’s cases surpass 20,000, with new record in daily rise
- Rwanda, U.S. sign agreement on military cooperation
- Fijian police seek legal advice to charge ninth COVID-19 patient
- China-Laos railway starts recruiting local employees
- Cuba condemns U.S. interference in China’s internal affairs
- S.Korea’s industrial output falls for 4 months over COVID-19
- Feature: Cubans strive to overcome effects of U.S. blockade amid fight against COVID-19
- UN rights chief urges U.S. to take “serious action” to stop police killings of African Americans
- UN agencies concerned about use of explosive devices against Libyan civilians
- Spotlight: Mask-wearing remains controversial in U.S. as COVID-19 death toll exceeds 100,000
- Mexico reports 3,377 new COVID-19 cases, 447 more deaths
- Visitors visit Panda Pavilion of Zoo Berlin in Germany
- S.Korea reports 58 more COVID-19 cases, 11,402 in total
- IOM deplores killing of 30 trafficked migrants in Libya
- Nigerian president orders military operations against gang attacks
- 2020 Boston Marathon canceled, to be held virtually
- Hong Kong’s prosperity, stability brook no disruption: spokesperson
- Commentary: China’s Civil Code a landmark law to protect people’s rights