Connect with us

Foreign

Thai mega concert charged with violating COVID-19 emergency decree

Published

on

Thai mega concert charged with violating COVID-19 emergency decree

A concert organizer in Thailand was on Friday charged with organizing a mega country music concert in southern Thailand without enforcing social distancing and mask wearing amongst concert-goers.


“We have evidences to show that the concert organizer breached the emergency decree law,” said Cha-uat district police chief Pol Col Thien Barnthip, from Thailand’s southern Province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, the location where the concert took place last Saturday.

“Paisant Vettayayong, the concert organizer had also admitted that he failed to apply social distancing principles and enforce wearing of masks by concert-goers,” said the police chief.

Paisant organized the Janey Daimodthasodchuen country music concert at the Red Cross Fair in Cha-uat district on Saturday night.

Photos from the concert widely circulated on social media showed a dense crowd of concert-goers not wearing masks.

The pictures stirred public anger on social media.

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha told the media that he was unhappy that the provincial governor had allowed a huge concert to take place without thinking of health consequences.

The Thai emergency decree bans big gatherings and violators are liable to up to two years in prison and/or a fine of 40,000 baht (1,280 United States dollars).

(XINHUA)

Nnn: :is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

COVID-19

15 countries purchase Russia’s Avifavir COVID-19 medication – Direct Investment Fund

Published

on


Russia says it is delivering its Avifavir medication against COVID-19 to 15 countries already.


Kirill Dmitriev, the head of the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), which took part in the creation of the remedy, disclosed this to Russia-24 broadcaster in an interview.

“We can boast great achievements in this area, as the medication has been delivered to over 15 countries,” Dmitriev said.

“This is really important, as there are in fact only two international antiviral drugs that are delivered to a certain number of countries: the United States’ Remdesivir and the Russian Avifavir.

“Ninety per cent of the produced Remdesivir have been purchased by the United States

“So, it is no surprise that 15 countries purchase our medication,” the RDIF CEO explained.

Earlier on Monday, Kromis — a joint venture of the RDIF and the ChemRar pharmaceutical company — announced it had reached agreement on Avifavir deliveries to South Africa and seven countries in Latin America.

Avifavir received a registration certificate of the Russian Ministry of Health in late May, becoming the world’s first favipiravir-based drug approved for treatment of COVID-19.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Sport

Murray says players need assurance on quarantine issues before United States Open

Published

on


Players need assurance that they would not face mandatory quarantine upon returning to Europe from the United States Open before travelling to New York amid the COVID-19 pandemic.


Former world number one Andy Murray made this disclosure in an interview granted in London.

Organisers United States Tennis Association (USTA) will set up a strict bio-security “bubble’’ to minimise the risk of contracting the novel coronavirus during the Grand Slam.

The competition is due to be played from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.

The Western & Southern Open, which was relocated from Cincinnati this year because of COVID-19, will also be held in New York from Aug. 20 to 28.

It will serve as a tune-up for the hard court Grand Slam.

Mandatory quarantine would rule out players’ participation in other ATP and WTA claycourt events scheduled in Europe before the French Open from the end of September.

The two major clay court events in the lead up to Roland Garros are in Madrid (Sept. 13 to Sept. 20) and Rome (Sept. 20 to Sept. 27).

While Spain does not require mandatory quarantine, Italy will need travelers to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the United States

The USTA has said the organisers are working with relevant authorities to resolve issues.

“My understanding is that it would be sorted before we go to the United States But things can change in the next 10 to 12 days,” Murray said.

“Hopefully before we leave, the players will have the assurances that, when they come back from the United States, they won’t have to quarantine for two weeks.

“If that is the case, and if you do well in the United States Open, you can’t just arrive on the Sunday before the French Open starts on the Monday. That’s not going to work.”

The United States has over 4.68 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 with more than 155,000 deaths.

Murray, a three-times Grand Slam winner, has not played competitively since November due to hip problems.

But he took part in some exhibition events recently with the professional circuit shut.

The 33-year-old said he was willing to take the travel “risk” as he missed playing in big events.

“(With)  the situation I’ve been in the last few years, I’ve not had opportunity to play in many Slams. I don’t know how many I’ll have left,” Murray said.

“So, while I’m feeling relatively decent … obviously there is a risk there. But I want to try and play in them and enjoy the biggest events again.”

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

German state premier to support town affected by United States troop withdrawal

Published

on


The premier of the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate has pledged support to one of the regions affected by the withdrawal of United States troops from Germany.


“Whatever happens (at the military base) in Spangdahlem in the end – and we hope it will be very little – the state will of course support the local council and municipalities with the necessary measures,” Malu Dreyer said on Monday during talks with local officials.

The main aim was to maintain the United States military base in Spangdahlem and for the United States announcement to be reversed, the minister said.

“We are fighting for the site,” Dreyer added.

In the past week, the United States announced it would transfer F-16 fighter jets stationed in the town in the west of Germany to Italy, affecting around half of the 4,000 soldiers living at the air base.

The United States airforce said the base in Spangdahlem would continue to operate despite the troop withdrawal, though plans are not final yet.

Around 11,000 people live at the air base, including relatives.

United States President Donald Trump has announced the United States would withdraw about 12,000 troops stationed in Germany.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

Continue Reading

Foreign

Trump furious after Appeal Court overturns Boston bomber death penalty

Published

on


United States President Donald Trump has flayed an appellate court ruling that overturned the death sentence given to the 2013 Boston Marathon bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.


In a tweet on Sunday, Trump said that hardly had anyone deserved the death penalty than Tsarnaev.

He said the government must push for the death penalty, adding that the country could not let the ruling stand.

“Rarely has anybody deserved the death penalty more than the Boston Bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

“The court agreed that this was one of the worst domestic terrorist attacks since the 9/11 atrocities.

“Yet the appellate court tossed out the death sentence. So many lives lost and ruined.

“The Federal Government must again seek the death penalty in a do-over of that chapter of the original trial.

“Our country cannot let the appellate decision stand. Also, it is ridiculous that this process is taking so long!,” the tweet read.

Three people died and hundreds of others were injured after Tsarnaev, 27, and his older brother, Tamerlan, detonated homemade bombs along the marathon’s route on April 15, 2013.

Tsarnaev was handed the death penalty in 2015 but he appealed the ruling in 2019 on the ground that the juniors were biased.

In its ruling on July 31, the First United States Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with him, and ordered a retrial of the case.

It said the trial judge should have excluded jurors, who had already concluded that Tsarnaev was guilty.

Prosecutors are now left with two options: to comply with the appellate court ruling or challenge it at the Supreme Court.

Edited By: Silas Nwoha (NAN)

Continue Reading

Contact US: editor @nnn.com.ng, nnnnews247 @gmail.com

COVID-19 Update in Nigeria – NCDC Coronavirus Records VIDEO: Hydroxychloroquine is a CURE for COVID-19, Dr Stella Immanuel insists Nursing mothers tasked on continuous breastfeeding for healthy children Ekiti workers suspend strike as lawmakers intervene Revised NDC will impact Nigeria’s climate, economic development, says Environmentalist Education: Minister urges schools to communicate reopening dates to parents NDDC probe: Uduaghan dismisses reported N429m road contract allegation 3 killed, 4 injured in Somali suicide bombing Father of 3 commits suicide in Nsukka  38-year-old man accused of raping a minor, tells court it was a frame up Jigawa reopens 40 schools, directs all workers to resume duty AFAN, OFAB, NABDA advocate use of biotechnology to scale up food production WAEC: KDSG directs schools to open Aug. 10 Group trains agric officers on practices of organic agriculture Edo 2020: Obaseki assures Akoko Edo traditional rulers of better days ahead Okowa felicitates with Ibori at 62 Edo 2020: Edo Deputy Speaker, other members pledge support for Ize-Iyamu Al-Hikmah Varsity to understudy Unilorin, says V-C You can send off a player for coughing, English FA tells referees Nigerian youths appreciate FG’s N75bn Investment Fund Delta Govt trains teachers ahead of schools’ resumption CP orders investigation of police Inspector over harassment, illegal arrest Stakeholders highlight advantages of exclusive breastfeeding Man bags 1 month imprisonment for impersonation Expert cautions couples on effects of overweight, obesity on fertility Heavy rains in South Korea kill at least a dozen people 2020/2021 EPL start date too early for Chelsea, Lampard says NDDC has yet to pay contractors of roads I facilitated:Orji Uzor Kalu to Akpabio NDDC audit: Kalu asks NASS to focus on missing funds Medical expert tasks Nigerians on hepatitis test Court remands woman, 25, for allegedly killing stepson with rat poison Mrs Ugwuanyi wants families, LGs to support exclusive breastfeeding Ondo State 2020: Ex-militant group backs Akeredolu’s choice of deputy APC felicitates Omo-Agege @ 57 Gov. Okowa congratulates Omo-Agege at 57 LASWA will continue to prevent mishaps on waterways –— GM NGO trains 35 youths in budget monitoring, project implementation in Enugu We ‘ve yet to feel impact of Gov. Ayade’s agricultural revolution – AFAN Chairman Breastfeeding : Ebonyi Governor’s wife guarantees optimal feeding for survival of children AIICO Gross Written Premium hits N31.9bn PCN seals 808 illegal pharmaceutical premises — Registrar 15 countries purchase Russia’s Avifavir COVID-19 medication – Direct Investment Fund German government calls coronavirus protest in Berlin ‘unacceptable’ Court remands man for allegedly attacking, killing 75-year-old woman Taxi drivers withdraw services in Calabar, protest illegal taxation Murray says players need assurance on quarantine issues before United States Open UK government’s COVID-19 crisis response damaged by lack of transparency – Top scientist COVID-19 pandemic impact on nation’s educational sector may last 5 years —Don New term, new rules as first German schools return amid pandemic Alleged money laundering: EFCC files fresh charges against ex-AGF, Adoke, other Teacher in court for allegedly defiling 4-year-old pupil Islamic State storm Afghan jail, freeing hundreds of prisoners