The Philippines has granted refugee status to an Iranian beauty queen, who was stranded for three weeks in a Manila airport for fear she would be killed if she returned to Iran.
The Department of Justice recognised Bahareh Zare Bahari, as a refugee on Wednesday but the notice of recognition was only released to media on Friday.
Bahari was allowed to leave Manila’s airport on Thursday, three weeks after she was stopped from entering the country on Oct. 17 based on a request for her arrest by Interpol.
She applied for asylum to stop her deportation to Iran, where she said she would face imprisonment or even death.
She stayed at a room in Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport while waiting for a decision on her application.
In the notice of recognition, Bahari was told to report to the Bureau of Immigration, so she could be issued a visa and registration certificate.
Bahari, who represented Iran in the Miss Intercontinental pageant held in Manila in January, has been living in the Philippines since 2014 to study dentistry.
The Bureau of Immigration said the 31-year-old beauty queen is wanted for an assault and battery case in Iran, but no other details were available.
Bahari has denied the allegations and said the charges aimed to harass her for her political activism and support for Reza Pahlavi, the Iranian former crown prince and critic of the current leadership.
Edited by Fatima Sule/Ifeyinwa Omowole
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic Eagles bounce back to reckoning
- Sabre researcher says tourism revenue in Africa Could Increase by 27%
- Police rescue another boy kidnapped in Kano, arrest 3 suspects
- Govt. officials conniving with pipeline vandals must be sanctioned,prosecuted-Lawan
- Obaseki confident of a second term, hinges faith on reforms, policies
- FG to go tough on miners engaging in sharp practices
- Bassa traditional rulers commend army over successes
- CAN President preaches tolerance, mutual respect for national cohesion
- Gov. Yahaya Bello’s re-election will change the fortunes of Kogi— FCT Minister
- Zimbabwe banks start dispensing new bank notes
- Ihedioha commiserates with Imo Muslims over Chief Imam’s death
- OAuGF begins training of staff to improve auditing service delivery in MDAs
- Kogi Election: I-G says Police will be professional
- Dana Air flew 2.7m passengers in 11 years – Official
- 33,686 traffic offenders penalised in Ogun this year — FRSC
- Anglican Primate urges Nigeria to remain hopeful
- Kyari tasks NNPC Retail Ltd on unadulterated products
- Oyo govt. to procure communication equipment worth N178.7m for security agencies
- Ministry pledges to partner with e-waste producers
- Akande, a man of principle, integrity – Lai Mohammed