The South-West President of Tomato Growers Association of Nigeria, Mr Bamidele Ajani, says farmers have started receiving new and high yielding sweet pepper variety, tagged ‘Commandant F1’.
Ajani disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Tuesday in Ibadan.
According to him, the commandant F1 is sweet pepper, very blocky and attractive bright red colour with a good disease resistance, which will give farmers a high return on investment.
He also said that the variety was developed by Syngenta AG, an Agro Chemical and Seed Company that came into Nigeria in 2020.
“We have some farmers who travel to Kenya to buy the seed, but right now, they don’t have to go to Kenya again since it’s available in the country, courtesy of Syngenta Vegetable Seeds,’’ Ajani said.
With sales and technical representative in the South, Middle Belt and North, he said that Syngenta was gradually developing their seed business in Nigeria.
To get an optimal yield of the variety, he advised farmers to ensure they plant in a greenhouse, have a good spray regime and give it required nutrients at every stage of growth.
The association president also urged farmers to always get seeds from reputable seed companies and stop planting saved seeds.
“Farmers should know that the result they will get from being a farmer starts from the kind of seeds they plant.
“If you plant a seed with good disease resistant package, seeds that will adapt to our weather, you will definitely get an excellent result.’’
Ajani also urged the government, at all levels, to encourage youths to go into farming by providing subsidy, grant or loan to those who are interested in farming.
“The population of the world is increasing and agricultural lands are depreciating in so many ways.
“Now, we have to plant in a small land to feed a large population.
“Nigeria, I believe, can feed the world if we play our cards well by investing more in agriculture,’’ he said.
Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)
- PDP lifts suspension on Sen. Hunkuyi, 6 others
- SIFAX group honours 46 at Long Service Award
- Makinde sacks works commissioner
- Yobe to implement regulation on marketing of breast- milk substitutes
- Nigeria stock market opens week with N8bn loss
- APC please with Obiano to reinstate suspended monarch
- I will continue to ensure peace in Edo, Gov. Obaseki assures traditional ruler
- COVID-19 positive cases gradually coming down – PTF Coordinator
- Ex-Federal lawmaker constructs blocks of classrooms for 2 schools in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu promises community development