A 46- year-old woman, Margaret Ezeagu, who allegedly defaulted in paying back N1.5 million bank loan was on Tuesday docked at an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court.
The defendant, a trader, who resides at Agege, Lagos, is charged with obtaining by false pretenses and stealing.
The prosecutor, ASP Benson Emuerhi told the court that the offences were committed on Oct. 30, 2017 at Jessefield Micro finance Bank , Ikeja.
Emuerhi said that the defendant obtained the N1.5 million from the bank on the pretext that she would use it for her business and repay it within three months.
“Since then the defendant absconded and was no where to be found. All efforts to see her failed until the police got a tip off about her whereabout and then had her arrested,” he said.
The offences, according to the prosecutor, contravened Sections 280 and 315 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olufunke Sule-Amzat , granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Sule-Amzat adjourned the case until Nov. 14 for mention.(NAN)
Edited by Bayo Sekoni
- Lightning strikes kill 27 in Pakistan
- Refugees commission partners with Rochas foundation to build schools in IDPs camps
- Nigerian artist, Njideka Akunyili-Crosby makes 2019 Time’s ‘100 Next’ list
- Police assure of adequate security ahead of Bayelsa poll
- Israel resumes strikes on Gaza
- WHO supports Nigeria’s legislative network to achieve UHC
- Jega says improving integrity of elections critical to democratic growth
- Border closure: entrepreneur commends FG, urges Nigerians to look inward
- Minister tasks women on nation building
- World Diabetes Day: Association urges mothers to prepare natural foods for families
- Turkey qualify for Euro 2020 with draw against Iceland, France also secure spot
- 2 injured in Tejuosho Lagos fire — LASEMA
- CPAN says 2019 UTME marred by biometric, browser failure
- Efficient deployment of resources critical to universal health coverage – Don
- Why LASU is introducing 2-stream undergraduate programmes — VC
- Fellow officer defiled my daughter in barracks, policewoman tells court
- UHC: NIPSS wants Buhari to convene National Council of State meeting
- NGO calls for synergy on diabetes awareness
- Red Cross trains 30 surgeons on management of weapon wounded patients
- NPFL: Rangers pips Sunshine Stars 1-0 in Enugu