A trader, Ifeanyi Ogbu, 36, alleged to have defrauded a man of N250, 000 was on Wednesday docked before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.
Ogbu, who resides at 22, Ifelodun Str., in Ilasamaja, Lagos, is being tried for fraud and stealing to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, ASP. Akeem Raji, told the court that Ogbu committed the offences on June 10, 2018 at Ladipo Market in Mushin, Lagos.
Raji alleged that Ogbu fraudulently collected N250, 000 under the pretence of selling his Nissan car with registration number, FST 759 EL to the complainant, one Solomon David but failed to deliver the car.
The prosecutor said that Ogbu allegedly absconded with the money and failed to fulfill his part of the agreement reached David.
Akeem said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 stipulates seven years imprisonment for stealing, while Section 314 prescribes a 15-year jail term for obtaining under false pretences.
The Magistrate, Mrs O.A. Layinka, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Layinka ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and should show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until May 20 for hearing.
- Eid-el-Maulud: MURIC urges youth to embrace FG’s SIP
- Verdict: Oyo APC lauds Appellate Court, urges calm
- Rotaract Club donates hospital items to Ojodu Lagos PHC
- Niger Govt. reinvigorates school sports to engage youths meaningfully
- Edo Govt. to provide 100,000 hectares of land for oil palm investors
- MSD campaign: Obiano warns immunisation workers against collection of tips
- 2019 AFRIFF: Tanzania Film Board woos Africa movie investors
- Igbo youths celebrate Mamman Daura at 80, felicitate with Muslims on Eid-el-Maulud
- 60% of drugs imported to be manufactured locally – NAFDAC
- Buhari greets ex-Anambra Gov. Virgy Etiaba at 77
- 2019 AFRIFF: Namibia Film Commission seeks collaboration with Nigerian filmmakers
- Delta guber: Appeal Court reserves judgment in Ogboru’ suit
- Court reserves judgment in appeal against Ihedioha’s election
- Edo Special Marshals strategise for optimal efficiency during Yuletide
- Lam Adesina: 120 students benefit N1.2m bursary award
- Imbibe spirit of love, patience, equity, lawmaker advises Muslims
- NAFDAC calls for stiffer punishment for drug traffickers
- Expert urges govt. to fund artificial intelligence research to boost ICT
- Appeal Court judgment: Oyo people’s mandate remains intact – Makinde
- NYSC DG expresses concern over dress code controversy