A trader, Ifeanyi Ogbu, 36, alleged to have defrauded a man of N250, 000 was on Wednesday docked before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.
Ogbu, who resides at 22, Ifelodun Str., in Ilasamaja, Lagos, is being tried for fraud and stealing to which he pleaded not guilty.
The Prosecutor, ASP. Akeem Raji, told the court that Ogbu committed the offences on June 10, 2018 at Ladipo Market in Mushin, Lagos.
Raji alleged that Ogbu fraudulently collected N250, 000 under the pretence of selling his Nissan car with registration number, FST 759 EL to the complainant, one Solomon David but failed to deliver the car.
The prosecutor said that Ogbu allegedly absconded with the money and failed to fulfill his part of the agreement reached David.
Akeem said the offences contravened Sections 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 287 stipulates seven years imprisonment for stealing, while Section 314 prescribes a 15-year jail term for obtaining under false pretences.
The Magistrate, Mrs O.A. Layinka, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Layinka ordered that the sureties must be gainfully employed and should show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until May 20 for hearing.
- Sylva, NNPC staff, others pay tribute to ex-GMD of NNPC Baru
- COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
- COVID-19: NCAC, NANTA advocate collaborations for tourism sector recovery
- Lagos govt. unfolds strategies toward resilient city evolution
- NiMet predicts cloudy, thundery weather activities, May 31 – June 2
- President Buhari loses nephew Ibrahim Dauda
- Veterinary doctors donate items to Ondo Govt to fight COVID-19
- LASG to decamp Abule-Egba pipeline explosion victims from Igando relief camp
- Resident Doctors issue 14-day strike notice to FG
- Buratai inspects local construction of combat vehicles in Maiduguri
- COVID-19 mortality rises to 50 in Lagos
- Plateau NANNM calls off ‘sit-at-home’ protest for members in JUTH Isolation center
- Covid-19: 4-month-old child discharged in Kaduna
- Northern governors mourn former NNPC boss
- Schalke 04’s U.S.-born player wears “Justice for George’’ armband
- Italy records 111 new coronavirus deaths, 416 new cases
- Delta has witnessed unprecedented development under Okowa – Lawmakers
- Banditry: Sultan seeks recruitment, funding of security agencies
- Kenyan farmers grapple with oscillating temperatures as climate varies
- Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO