A trader, Izuchukwu Okafor, was brought before a Yaba Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos on Thursday for allegedly obtaining N600,000 from a footballer, on the pretext of procuring a Turkey visa for him
Okafor, 30, is facing a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy, stealing and obtaining by false pretence.
The defendant, who resides at Okota, near Lagos, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The Prosecutor, ASP. Thomas Nurudeen, told the court that Okafor committed the offences sometime in November 2018 at Ojota.
He said that the defendant pretended to be a travel agent and stole N600, 000 from one Peter Okonkwo, on the pretext of obtaining a Turkey visa for him in less than two weeks.
According to the prosecutor, Okonkwo electronically transferred the money to Okafor through his Diamond Bank account for the visa, but Okafor failed to process the visa.
Nurudeen alleged that the defendant absconded with the money and blocked the complainant’s phone numbers.
He said that it was when Okonkwo reported the case to the police that the defendant was tracked and arrested.
The offences contravened Sections 411, 314 and 287 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs K. B. Ayeye, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N200, 000 with two sureties in like sum.
Ayeye said that both sureties must reside within the court’s jurisdiction, be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case until Dec. 3 for trial. (NAN)
Edited by Folorunso Poroye/Silas Nwoha
- Air operation aims to degrade Boko Haram -CAS
- Army says video of Boko Haram killing of soldiers fabrication of IPOB
- Committee to restructure Jigawa Golden Stars FC inaugurated
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts