A 28-year-old trader, Garuba Bawa, on Thursday appeared before an Ikeja Magistrates‘ Court over alleged possession of a stolen car worth N1.75 million.
Bawa, who resides at No. 1, Denly St., Ebute Meta, Lagos State, is facing charges of conspiracy and unlawful possession of a stolen property.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The prosecutor, Insp. Victor Eruada, told the court that Bawa was caught by the police with a car reported to have been stolen.
Eruada said that the defendant committed the offences with some other persons still at large on April 9 at Oyingbo Market in Ebute-Meta.
“Bawa failed to give convincing reasons why he was in possession of the stolen car,” the prosecutor said.
According to him, the offences contravene Sections 411 and 330 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Section 411 provides for a two-year jail term for conspiracy.
The Magistrate, Mrs M. I. Dan-Oni, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100, 000 with two sureties in like sum, and adjourned the case until May 23 for mention.
- UN calls for investigation into killing of 30 migrants in Libya
- New bridge under construction in Genoa, Italy
- Nigeria records 387 new cases of COVID-19, active cases now 6344
- S.Korea reports 39 more COVID-19 cases, 11,441 in total
- 17 more people tested positive for COVID-19 in Myanmar, 224 cases in total
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4971
- CDS’s death: General Court Martial sentences six aides in probe
- UNIFIL awards Chinese woman for exceptional role in peacekeeping in S. Lebanon
- U.S. Fed chief fears second wave of COVID-19 outbreak would undermine recovery
- 13 new COVID-19 cases reported in southern Libya
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits 1965 km SW of Lajes das Flores, Portugal — USGS
- COVID-19 cases surpass 170,000 in India, death toll at 4,971
- 5.5-magnitude quake hits 193 km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea — USGS
- World Bank approves 15 mln USD for Cambodia’s pre-service education system for health professionals
- World Bank says COVID-19 epidemic poses greatest threat to Cambodia’s development
- Cambodia reports 1 more imported COVID-19 case, 125 in total
- White House on lockdown as protests over Floyd’s death reach U.S. capital amid nationwide rage
- No new case in New Zealand for eight consecutive days
- Int’l passenger air travel resumes in Slovenia’s capital
- Finland approves employment of additional non-EU agri-workers