The Kwara Road Traffic Management Authority (KWARTMA) is set to deploy a mobile court to prosecute traffic offenders in the state.
The Chief Executive Officer of the traffic management body, Mr Yekeen Bello, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Ilorin.
He expressed the belief that the mobile court would help fast track the prosecution of traffic offenders.
“The fact is we have been assigned a mobile court because our Act empowers us to have one. Presently, it has not been constituted although we have done the bulk of what we are expected to do.
“Logistics is the major problem, but the mobile court is underway. In fact, we have gotten the Magistrate for the mobile court.
“When we talk of the logistics, the office space is not there, the vehicle to convey the Magistrate is not there as well as other needs.
“The moment we are able to put all these in place, it will take off because it is in our Act,” he said.
Bello, who also lamented the challenge of inadequate manpower, said this was restricting the operations of the traffic body to only Ilorin, the state capital.
“The personnel we have are not even enough for Ilorin metropolis.
” We have been approved to move to Offa, Omu-Aran, Bode-Saadu and Baruten in Kwara North Senatorial District.
“But it is the challenge of logistics, that of manpower shortage.
” If I take one quarter of what I have here to Offa and Omu-Aran when they are not even enough, how do we cope?
“I have gone round the whole state. There are some areas where residents don’t bother to register their vehicles or motorcycles.
“The moment KWARTMA arrives in those areas, definitely they must all obtain license for their vehicles and this would increase the internally generated revenue of the state.
“This is why we say we are not directly a revenue generating agency but a catalyst,” he said.
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo) (NAN)
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review
- COVID-19: PTF working with partners to implement comprehensive response to virus
- How I survived COVID-19 — Foreign Affairs Minister
- Leipzig stun Atletico Madrid to reach Champions League last four
- Workshop identifies harmful impacts of Global Gag Rule on developing nations