A 47-year-old transporter, Tunde Odeyemi, charged with threatening to kill a union leader for changing his position at a motor park, was on Friday brought before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.
The defendant, who resides at Iju, Agege, Lagos, appeared before Magistrate B.O. Osunsanmi on a five-count charge of breach of the peace, conspiracy, threat to life, assault and stealing.
Odeyemi, however, denied committing the offences, and was admitted to bail in the sum of N200,000 with two sureties in like sum.
Osunsanmi said that the sureties should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
The Prosecutor, ASP Ezekiel Ayorinde, told the court that the defendant and others yet to be apprehended committed the offences on Aug. 22 at Agege, Lagos.
He said that the defendant conducted himself in a manner likely to cause breach of the peace by assaulting and threatening to kill Mr Kareem Ganiyu, Secretary of a transport workers union.
“The defendant and his accomplices attacked the complainant and descended on him through beating.
“In the process, they dispossessed him of N120,000 cash, a Tecno C8 valued at N35, 000 and a pair of eye glasses worth N8,000.
‘The defendant vowed to terminate the complainant’s life,” he alleged.
Ayorinde said that the complainant was attacked because he changed the position of the defendant at a garage.
The alleged offences violate Sections 56, 168, 173, 287 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Sections 173 stipulates three years’ imprisonment for assault while Section 287 prescribes three years’ jail term for stealing.
The case was adjourned until Oct. 16 for mention.
- Use National Health Act to fast track UHC, Anthropologist tells FG
- Pensioners beg FG over speedy payment of N20b arrears
- Passenger slumps, dies at Lagos airport
- Kaduna govt offers digital skills training to 360 youth
- NYSC to review collaboration with NHIS on healthcare of corps members
- FG investigating Sowore-DSS incident – Malami
- Obasanjo hails Gov. El-Rufai’s pan-Nigeria character
- Buhari congratulates Maryam Uwais at 60
- Bingham varsity commences post-graduate programme in communication
- FEC approves portal for import duty exemptions, N40bn for road projects
- Expect more road repairs in 2020, lawmaker tells Lagosians
- Food System Vision 2050 Prize: UNILAG group engages stakeholders across value-chains
- 2020: All Africans can come to Nigeria without visa – Babandede
- Buhari condemns killing of 67 soldiers in Niger Republic
- Shell takes free eyecare services to host community in Bayelsa
- Nasarawa to provide schools with water, sanitation facilities
- SDGs: Quality, inclusive education my priority – Gov. Sule
- States can’t withdraw from minimum wage agreement, law binding to all — NLC
- U.S. to provide life-saving HIV treatment to 43,000 people in Imo
- Bauchi govt.to spend N12 bn to build 2,500 houses in 2020–Official
- Farmer calls for establishment of livestock agency to boost beef, dairy production
- Putin condemns EU stance on Nazi-Soviet WWII pact as ‘shameless lie’
- U.S. aviation regulator not likely clear 737 MAX before end of 2019
- We are on track in improving Manchester United, Solskjaer says
- NiMet predicts sunny, hazy weather condictions for Thursday
- FG says tackling global health problems requires global disciplinary cooperation, expertise
- Makinde signs Oyo State Anti- Corruption Bill into law
- Yuletide: Sanwo-Olu’s wife urges Nigerians to be security conscious
- Defamation: Edo Ex-speaker demands N500m from APC chieftain
- Anthony Joshua to present world championship belts to Buhari soon
- NLNG signs sales deal with Vitol SA on Train 1, 2 and 3
- NOC sets up 4-man committee on AFN crisis
- Plateau Govt. repeals disability commission act, to enact new law
- HIV/AIDS: Kwara Dep. Gov. harps on regular medical check-up
- End your strike to allow for negotiation, NECA urges electricity workers
- Committee expresses determination to host successful Abuja 2020 Para-Powerlifting Championships
- LASG to convert Majidun Rehab Centre to psychiatric hospital – Commissioner
- Christmas: FRSC promises free flow of traffic on Kaduna highways
- LASTMA arrests 25 for driving against traffic
- 261 Ogun pilgrims depart for Jerusalem
- I will alleviate your suffering, Makinde assures pensioners
- Practitioners that violate CRFFN Act risk expulsion, says governing council
- Education, powerful tool for driving growth, human devt.–Oyebode
- Alleged pension scam: How Maina illegally acquired property in son’s name–EFCC witness
- YouTube updates harassment policy to ban implicit threats, insults
- HMD Global launches new devices to enhance creativity, excitement for users
- No ‘dark Christmas’: S African leader promises action over power cuts
- Nigerian reseacher flays promotion of bone marrow transplant for HIV/AIDS cure
- INEC tasks stakeholders on free, fair elections
- Commission issues Certificates of Return to 16 LG chairmen in Ekiti