Aston Villa revived their hopes of avoiding relegation from the English Premier League (EPL) by ending a 10-game winless streak on Sunday.
Two goals by Egyptian forward Trezeguet gave them a 2-0 home win over Crystal Palace.
The result lifted Aston Villa one place to 18th on 30 points from 35 games, but they are still four points adrift of safety.
Crystal Palace stayed 14th on 42 points after a fifth successive defeat.
Aston Villa manager Dean Smith praised his lively forward Trezeguet, who has endured a patchy start to his Premier League career since joining Villa from Turkish side Kasimpasa last year.
“He’s performed really well in the last two games,” said Smith.
“He fully deserves his place. It’s funny, Trez is another one who came into the place last summer and it’s taken a while to adapt. His attitude is spot on, he works his socks off.”
Crystal Palace made a bright start and had a goal disallowed in the seventh minute.
That was after a VAR check deemed that the ball came off Mamadou Sakho’s arm, although it appeared to have struck his shoulder.
Trezeguet fired Aston Villa ahead in first half stoppage time when he met a Conor Hourihane free-kick at the far post and sidefooted it superbly into the opposite corner from close range.
The home side had a penalty kick awarded by referee Martin Atkinson overturned after a lengthy VAR check.
Trezeguet doubled their lead in the 59th minute with a clinical finish from seven metres.
Atkinson sent off Crystal Palace striker Christian Benteke, a former Aston Villa player, after the final whistle when the towering Belgian aimed a kick at home defender Ezri Konsa.
Tempers also flared in the first half when Aston Villa’s Tyrone Mings and Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha were both booked after a scuffle involving several players from the two teams.
Edited By: Olawale Alabi) (NAN)
- Andreescu will not defend United States Open title
- Serena beats Venus to reach Lexington quarter-finals
- Gov. Umahi rejects Ebonyi’s transfer to Police Zone 13 Division
- UN Chief welcomes Israel, UAE peace agreement
- Caretaker committee promises better times for Anambra football stakeholders, unveils new FA secretariat
- NAPHER-SD identifies loopholes in sports industry policy draft, calls for review
- COVID-19: PTF working with partners to implement comprehensive response to virus
- How I survived COVID-19 — Foreign Affairs Minister
- Leipzig stun Atletico Madrid to reach Champions League last four
- Workshop identifies harmful impacts of Global Gag Rule on developing nations