The Governorship Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Minna on Wednesday upheld the election of Gov. Abubakar Bello of Niger state.
The Nigeria News Agency reports that Mohammed Umar Nasko, the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) candidate in the March 9, Governorship Election and his party had dragged Bello who is the All Progressives Congress(APC) candidate), Bello and his deputy before the tribunal.
The petitioners alleged that the duo presented forged academic and declaration of age certificates to INEC, which was the crux of their case.
The chairman of the tribunal, Justice John Igboji, while delivering judgment, held that the petitioners merely pleaded facts without substantiating them with evidence.
Igboji also said that the tribunal cannot sit as an appellate court on an issue already decided by the Federal High Court.
“We have come to the inevitable conclusion that the petitioners have failed to establish their case as there is no shred of cogent evidence in proof of the allegation as required by relevant laws.
“In the circumstance we accordingly hold that the petitioners are not entitled to any relief sought, their petition being bereft of any merit and the petition is hereby dismissed for lack of merit.
“We, therefore, affirm and uphold the election of the first respondent, Alhaji Abubakar Bello as the duly elected governor of Niger state,” he said.
The tribunal also awarded N50, 000 cost each against the petitioners.
Reacting to the judgment, the Counsel to the petitioner, Mr Mohammed Ndayako, said the case was knocked out on technical grounds.
Ndayako noted that the petitioners would carefully study the judgment before deciding on the next line of action.
The Counsel to Bello, Jibrin Okutepa (SAN) described the judgment as “sound one”, saying it was a “great jurisprudential exposition”.
Also, Chief of Staff to the governor, Mr Ibrahim Balarabe said the judgment is a victory for democracy and the people of the state.
Balarabe called on the petitioners to join hands with the governor to move the state forward.
Edited by Shittu Obassa/Ali Baba-Inuwa
- NGO inaugurates drugs, substance abuse-free clubs in 15 schools in Kaduna
- One dies, 3 injured in Ogun accident
- PDP BoT sets up committee over members’ concerns in Edo, Kano, Lagos, others
- Federation President seeks private companies’ sponsorship for boxing
- Group wants INEC to prosecute perpetrators of electoral violence in Kogi, Bayelsa
- Morocco, Singapore discuss boosting bilateral cooperation
- NGO to assist IDPs in Kwara, others
- Alleged P&ID scam: Court fixes Nov.27 for hearing in Briton’s plea for bail variation
- Iran still largely restricting internet access after fuel protests
- Trump wants impeachment trial in Senate with Bidens, whistleblower testifying – Spokesman
- Corps member gives free medical service in Niger camp
- GDP grew by 2.28% in 3rd quarter of 2019
- Man, 32, in court for allegedly stealing car scraps worth N58,000
- Yemeni PM hails Russia’s positive role in UN Security Council
- Handle antibiotics with care, Pharmacists warn Nigerians
- Obaseki swears in Edigin as 7th Edo Chief Judge
- Expert seeks more govt support for real sector
- Appeal Court affirms Tambuwal’s election
- Court remands teenager over alleged house-breaking, stealing
- Woman in court for allegedly hacking phone, stealing N2.5m
- Turkey’s invasion of Syria enabled hundreds of IS militants to escape – Russian official
- Yahoo founder warns of tech divide returning world to ‘dark age’
- Indonesian city hands out baby chicks to keep pupils busy, off smartphones
- Trump insists on ceasefire as precondition for Afghan peace talks
- South African Airways signs wage deal with non-striking union
- Para-athletes plead with Enugu Govt. for equipment, monthly allowance
- Sri Lanka’s newly elected president swears in 15-member cabinet
- Humble Mourinho vows to bring success to Spurs
- Traditional medicine practitioner urges research into African herbs, roots
- Oil holds near two-month high on OPEC+ extension expectations
- Poland picks new constitutional judges amid row over judiciary
- Enugu State: FRSC warns motorists against traffic offences
- 7 men docked for allegedly parading in military uniforms
- Barber allegedly burgles church mission house
- Enugu: LG Council pays hospital bills of over 60 indigent residents
- Labourer in court over allegedly assaulting colleague with shovel
- Xi says Beijing actively working on trade deal with U.S.
- Turkey detains 46 following online criticism of Syria offensive
- Agent in court for allegedly defrauding customer of N1.5m
- Turkey orders detention of 138 suspects over coup bid
- UNESCO affirms commitment to violence-free school policies
- Businessman appears in court for alleged N870,000 fraud
- Association applauds Gov. Abiodun’s efforts in education sector
- Insurance agent in court over alleged theft of clients’ premium worth N1.2m
- Nasarawa State: LGSC warns LG chairmen against unauthorised employment
- Man in court for giving false information to police
- Association raises alarm on inefficiency of antibiotics due to abuse
- Finance Bill 2019: NECA expressed concern at passage
- Mongolia appoints new central bank governor
- Buhari approves re-appointment of NIMC boss for second term